LAC @ New Orleans Saints Game Day and Post Game Thread (Week 5)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

I guess I saw something different about last nights game than most of you. Maybe it's just a different way of looking at it but here's what I saw.

I saw a team that's badly depleted by injuries that almost pulled off a big upset. On offense our team played without their two best play makers - Ekeler and Allen. Playing without their starting RG and RT - and they put up 27 points! Gees, with a kicker than was making his kicks it would have been 31 points and a win.

On defense they gave the potent Saints all they could stand, again with some key players missing or hobbled

I even think that was a great job of coaching - who would have thought we'd do that well with all those important members missing!

On top of all that we have a sensational QB. Look at all the teams that do not have a franchise QB - and guess what - we aren't one of them.

This cup is not half empty, it's half full!
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• like54ninjas
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2017
      • Great White North
      • Draftnik
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      I guess I saw something different about last nights game than most of you. Maybe it's just a different way of looking at it but here's what I saw.

I saw a team that's badly depleted by injuries that almost pulled off a big upset. On offense our team played without their two best play makers - Ekeler and Allen. Playing without their starting RG and RT - and they put up 27 points! Gees, with a kicker than was making his kicks it would have been 31 points and a win.

On defense they gave the potent Saints all they could stand, again with some key players missing or hobbled

I even think that was a great job of coaching - who would have thought we'd do that well with all those important members missing!

On top of all that we have a sensational QB. Look at all the teams that do not have a franchise QB - and guess what - we aren't one of them.

Exceptionally well typed Roo.
      We are definitely on the same page!
      My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
      K9
      Nasir
      Tillery
      Parham
      Reed

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I get what you are saying but I guess I disagree as to why it was close. It was close only because Herbert is tough, mobile and made some incredible throws. We came out with a decent game plan and then, as happens in seemingly every game, the other team made adjustments and our coaching staff seemed utterly befuddled by them and we gradually gave the game away.

The only coach that appears to be doing a good job (great job, actually) is our new QB coach. Our D is passive and eventually crumbles, our offense is dull and unimaginative for long stretches, our ST are abysmal and our head coach is mediocre. Hell, the only good really good thing happening on the team, Herbert, wouldn't even have sniffed the field if Lynn's pet QB was healthy.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

I agree with everything you said.

Only real issue I have is that the Chargers have had a bad habit of losing close games for a very long time. Injuries change from game to game and year to year, so its not just the injuries. Other teams get major injuries but still find ways to win close games...... like Steelers do.

yes, there has been bad luck, like stupid miracle penalties or fluke turnovers or missed kicks that caused us to lose so many close games over the years...... yet look at other teams..... KC needed multiple scores to catch up and tie the game to send it to OT and a 50+ yard FG to beat us in OT.... and on that OT kick, their kicker didn't make just one, he calmly made that kick 3 times with the 3rd one counting...... all right down the middle..... so other teams do have better kickers, punters, and some other personnel...

I think Lynn is a leader and the team plays hard for him. I think the offensive coaches are getting better at designing plays and mixing up the plays to keep defenses off balance and of course, Herbert's massive physical talent opens up the entire field as possible target areas from any position on the field.

I think our biggest issues are on defense(more coaching than personnel) since our defense cannot stop any team that is forced to throw the ball downfield to win.......ouer defense does a very good job early in games when teams are still trying to mix up the run and the pass fairly evenly....... but once Herbert gets us a lead and the lead grows, our opponents then are forced to dump their game plans and throw the ball down the field which is the weakness of the Chargers defense...... Brady, Mahomes, and Brees of course diced up our defense when forced to do so, but even Burrow and Bridgwater did also when they really needed to..... yes, we have had injuries on defense, but this letting other teams score easily once we force them to pass the ball has been going on for many years....basically, since Gus has been our DC......

When has Gus's defense ever ended a game by stopping a team that was only one score from tying or winning???... I cannot recall one..... and im sure there might be one(this years CIN game does not count cause that was a lucky penalty that saved us not defensive scheme or play), but then compare that with the total number of opportunities.....

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

We are the most pathetic, LONG suffering fans in the NFL universe. Last night they showed old pics of Saints fans with the bags on their heads. But they were eventually rewarded for their loyalty.......the football gods have yet to throw us that bone. Just disgusting right now.......
            Football gods/bountygate
            P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
            P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
            P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
            P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2020
              • Send PM

I could not agree more! This has been an exciting season so far.. along with all the added drama of the close game losses, crushing injuries and brilliant play at times of Justin Herbert. This Chargers team could easily be 5-0. Several young players have stepped up and appear to be improving over time, which has been so refreshing to see. Even the OL with all the injuries already have been serviceable mostly.

I have been a Chargers fan going back to the late 70’s with Fouts, Jefferson, and Dean to name a few. I think I can still name that starting OL also! lol, but if I remember correctly Roo, you and others go back even further than that as Chargers fans. I am as excited about the potential of Herbert more so than any Charger player I can remember over the years. I was and still am a huge Rivers fan who I believed picked up bad habits from carrying this franchise for way too long!

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

The cup is 1-4 full. I agree about Herbert and that the team played gallantly with half it’s starting roster out. That’s our usual modus operandi. The love able little team that just can’t get over the hump. I saw a team that doesn’t know how to close a game or win once again snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. In a familiar way this time.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree with everything you said.

Only real issue I have is that the Chargers have had a bad habit of losing close games for a very long time. Injuries change from game to game and year to year, so its not just the injuries. Other teams get major injuries but still find ways to win close games...... like Steelers do.

yes, there has been bad luck, like stupid miracle penalties or fluke turnovers or missed kicks that caused us to lose so many close games over the years...... yet look at other teams..... KC needed multiple scores to catch up and tie the game to send it to OT and a 50+ yard FG to beat us in OT.... and on that OT kick, their kicker didn't make just one, he calmly made that kick 3 times with the 3rd one counting...... all right down the middle..... so other teams do have better kickers, punters, and some other personnel...

I think Lynn is a leader and the team plays hard for him. I think the offensive coaches are getting better at designing plays and mixing up the plays to keep defenses off balance and of course, Herbert's massive physical talent opens up the entire field as possible target areas from any position on the field.

I think our biggest issues are on defense(more coaching than personnel) since our defense cannot stop any team that is forced to throw the ball downfield to win.......ouer defense does a very good job early in games when teams are still trying to mix up the run and the pass fairly evenly....... but once Herbert gets us a lead and the lead grows, our opponents then are forced to dump their game plans and throw the ball down the field which is the weakness of the Chargers defense...... Brady, Mahomes, and Brees of course diced up our defense when forced to do so, but even Burrow and Bridgwater did also when they really needed to..... yes, we have had injuries on defense, but this letting other teams score easily once we force them to pass the ball has been going on for many years....basically, since Gus has been our DC......

When has Gus's defense ever ended a game by stopping a team that was only one score from tying or winning???... I cannot recall one..... and im sure there might be one(this years CIN game does not count cause that was a lucky penalty that saved us not defensive scheme or play), but then compare that with the total number of opportunities.....

9ers game. 2 point game, no pints allowed for final 11+ mins, last 7:41 with only a 2 point lead

Titans game, stopped 2 point conversion for a 1 point win

Seahags game, only score in second half by Bolts was a pic6 by King who sealed the game with 6:44 in the 4th.

Bungals game, stopped 2 point conversion at 1:50 left to maintain a 2 point lead, final 49 seconds

Queefs game, held the vaunted AR/PM scoreless final 8:15

Donkey game, held scoreless final 10:10, the offense but up 10 points in that final 10:10

6 games with a healthy Derwin and D without the LB core which is much improved now. Health with key players is a big factor.

———-

Kyzir leading team in stops and TPG (9) & K9 second at (7.7) in 2020. Our LB core are now playing at a high level and are a team strength now.

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I don't like the idea of tanking and losing. Win games -- learn how to finish games off.
                    And don't assume we will draft a OT. That's what we want but it doesn't mean that's what they will do.
                    Besides Fluker, which was a bad pick in the first round....when is the last time we drafted a top OT?

I mean, they could and should but I don't have that faith.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I get what you are saying but I guess I disagree as to why it was close. It was close only because Herbert is tough, mobile and made some incredible throws. We came out with a decent game plan and then, as happens in seemingly every game, the other team made adjustments and our coaching staff seemed utterly befuddled by them and we gradually gave the game away.

The only coach that appears to be doing a good job (great job, actually) is our new QB coach. Our D is passive and eventually crumbles, our offense is dull and unimaginative for long stretches, our ST are abysmal and our head coach is mediocre. Hell, the only good really good thing happening on the team, Herbert, wouldn't even have sniffed the field if Lynn's pet QB was healthy.
                      this is basically how I see it too
                      I have to disagree with my ex-CMB brothers (Wood, Roo and Ninja)
                      I don’t enjoy piling on with more hate posts but I have to be honest, Lynn is not a good coach and should be replaced.
                      This is the Norv/Rivers era all over again
                      awesome game plans until better coaches see what we’re doing and adjust.
                      How can injuries be a reasonable excuse for giving up double digit leads? You got the damn lead WITH all those injuries already there (minus KA this last time)

I more than anyone want to believe in whatever HC we have, but Lynn is now glaringly bad.
                      He’s Marty without LT or Gates or Neal or that Oline

I want a coach who is more competitive against the elite football minds in the NFL
                      to be clear, I think we can win with Lynn, but not because of him.

im officially done with Lynn
                      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

If we had attempted a 52 yard field goal,
                        and Badgley had made the same kick,
                        that kick would have been good.
                        The football would have continued to hook.
                        Badgley blew it.
                        A W by any measure would lead to a different post game discussion ?
                        How many years am I willing to keep saying that ?
                        If "that" is correctly describing what happened,
                        I am willing to say that until I pass away.
                        Are you not seeing all the negative, low information posts ?
                        Reality is it was a 50 and he missed it.

I am seeing the negative and low info posts. Its what made CMB a forum i didnt want to go to.

However, you cant justify a miss by saying had it been 2 yards longer.......
                        That is not discribing correctly what happened.
                        Yes, Badgley blew it.

I am just right now very disgusted with this team losing the same ways with different players.
                        Yes we have our next franchise QB but the end result is the same. Defense caves, missed FG, defense cant hold offense dont respond. Blew two big leads.

Did you know when Brees when down by 17 in the second half his record was 1-48 ....before that comeback? Now he is 2-48. I heard that on the radio today. Probably both against us.

Rinse, repeat for mostly 40 years now.
                        I so badly want Spanos to sell this team!

Comment

• cmplxgal
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • New Jersey
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X