POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You have a decision to make and have two choices. It’s a decision you have made before. One path has been successful for you in the past. The other path has NEVER been successful for you in the past. Which path do you take?
    Since we have no rings you could argue no path has been successful for us.
    even without the argument, it’s very much too simplistic to determine a causal influence
    just mo
    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I don’t disagree, I think you’ve made your point clear on several posts, and I still think JMcD would make a fine choice beyond just his success as a HC.
      what I think it’s even more simplistic is looking at the Chargers head coaching hirings of what has “worked” and “not worked”
      I think it’s much more complicated than that as well, there was literally hundreds of different circumstances that contributed to their successes and failures
      imo there is nothing inherently wrong with the logic of hiring people who have relevant experience to do a job they’ve never done before, it’s not ideal but you shouldn’t take points away from a guy BECAUSE they’re a career coordinator, there is still a very good reason why most clubs will hire offensive coordinators for HC position and it’s not because they’re basing their decision on a handful of hiring choices made throughout decades. It’s just not as relevant as you think imho.
      I agree with that. And yes I am too much in "do not hire a first timer coach" . But I can only go by the Chargers. Now if this were the Steelers (three head coaches in 50 years) - or the Packers with LaFleur (though Ray Rhoades didn't do great there) - or maybe a more solid organization from the top - sure, maybe the Chargers can go down that road again

But for the Chargers only - the data is pretty clear.

Now - if we are looking at first time head coaches and comparing a resume of say Zimmer back before he was hired by MN, or Arians, or Dave Toub compared to say Kellen Moore, Joe Brady and the DC from the Rams - even though Zimmer and Arians had zero HC experience - they had a lot of NFL experience, like Toub would. Even a guy like Fangio - if dismissed - hard to say but Elway has never given him a QB like Herbert to work with - well he is a tough one.

My big thing - from the small Chargers perspective - I would look at history

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        Sure you can go with that route. It’s definitely the more conservative and safer route. But.....

At the end of the day, your past failures don't guarantee future failures. Might as well hire the best guy for the job
        There lies the problem. Who decides that? lol, its all over the place here so its subjective. Also applies the other way to first time HCs and new OCs, etc.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

SIChiefs beat is kinda freaked out by the prospect of Eric Bieniemy & Justin Herbert in the AFC West.

He should be.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

There lies the problem. Who decides that? lol, its all over the place here so its subjective. Also applies the other way to first time HCs and new OCs, etc.
            Ultimately it’s all about finding the right requisites. How aggressive is the coach for example? McCoy, Marty, Lynn, and even Norv were more conservative. They were all playing not to lose. If the FO finds someone, retread or first timer, that can break that trend then I consider it a win.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Ultimately it’s all about finding the right requisites. How aggressive is the coach for example? McCoy, Marty, Lynn, and even Norv were more conservative. They were all playing not to lose. If the FO finds someone, retread or first timer, that can break that trend then I consider it a win.
              Petal to the Metal, Baby! LOL!

:Beer1:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Petal to the Metal, Baby! LOL!

:Beer1:
                Cowherd today suggesting Brian Kelly to the Chargers
                (i don't hate it)

Comment

• Silversurfer
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Los Angeles
                  • Send PM

Yup

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

SIChiefs beat is kinda freaked out by the prospect of Eric Bieniemy & Justin Herbert in the AFC West.

He should be.
                    He don't sound worried predicting still winning the West yearly. Reid still calls the plays.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

from what I can tell by listening to the guy, think one of the key ingredients to his success, and what bodes well for his future success, is that he doesn't really have a system per se, and rather his philosophy or scheme if you want to call it that, is that he finds out what his players are good at, and that's what he runs, and obviously runs it very well.... so his "scheme" is gonna adapt and change.
                      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Silversurfer View Post
                        Yup

One thing I like about Kelly over maybe some other names that are mentioned from college (Lincoln Riley for one as he went from OC to HC at a top 10 program) -- Kelly has worked his way up. Grand Union or something like that, to Western/Central/Eastern Michigan to Cincinnati to Notre Dame. He should have a pretty good idea of coaching, strategy, different types of offenses, defenses, etc.

I think thats why a guy like Matt Campbell is intriguing - worked his way from smaller schools, to Toledo to now Iowa State.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

If we give Telesco his man crush in Kelley we better be ready to move off both if it fails in a few years.
                          even if Telesco didn’t pick mccoy or lynn.
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X