POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We'll see. Wonder how KC will feel about that and how Dean will feel about giving KC two 3rd round comp picks to hire him.

Dean is lame so we'll see how it goes. Either way i do expect a cheap hire as opposed to the more expensive, exprienced right move for this franchise.
    because its worked so well to hire an unproven first time head coach

at this point -- my hope is if Telesco is retained - he realizes his dream scenario and brings in Brian Kelly...

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

We'll see. Wonder how KC will feel about that and how Dean will feel about giving KC two 3rd round comp picks to hire him.

Dean is lame so we'll see how it goes. Either way i do expect a cheap hire as opposed to the more expensive, exprienced right move for this franchise.
      I know, bro. It's tough to go forward in good faith, but you gotta believe that sick feeling you and I both have about this season, John Spanos shares it and cleans house.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I know, bro. It's tough to go forward in good faith, but you gotta believe that sick feeling you and I both have about this season, John Spanos shares it and cleans house.
        One can only hope that Jr Spanii is not happy (hell nobody should be in that damn building) with the records and the last 8 years. Not enough winning.

Spend a little bit of cash and you will reap the rewards - the failures of Henning, Gilbride, Riley got the team Butler and Marty Schottenheimer

Now Telesco and VisorLynn haven't been that bad - but they haven't been great either. So maybe the failures will get the team

Louis Riddick and ...
        or Urban Meyer
        or Hoodie

go big Bolts - try to hit a home damn run.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

are you purposely trying to mislead people into thinking that those are the three coaches Popper advocates, or could you maybe make it more clear that those are your three choices ??

hc.jpg
          if only Brady had done time in South Bend, then it'd be a slam dunk/easy deciz for team Tommy John....
          Those are the three exact names Popper mentions that meet his criteria for what they should be looking for. My post was based entirely on extrapolating those Popper's data-points into a HC-GM dynamic John Spanos would find appealing.

It's a wonderful interview and I really liked the data-points Popper discusses. I've done research on Eric & Arthur, love them both, and I know Daboll coached under Nick Saban, and is solid.

I'm saying I believe these three are very, very good coaches.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Those are the three exact names Popper mentions that meet his criteria for what they should be looking for. My post was based entirely on extrapolating those Popper's data-points into a HC-GM dynamic John Spanos would find appealing.

It's a wonderful interview and I really liked the data-points Popper discusses. I've done research on Eric & Arthur, love them both, and I know Daboll coached under Nick Saban, and is solid.

I'm saying I believe these three are very, very good coaches.
            So why do you think Brady or Arthur would be better than say, Josh McDaniels? If looking at the OC type

Also have any of those mentored the likes of STafford, Manning and Flacco (best year of Flaccos career was when Jim Caldwell was his OC/QB coach).

I guess where I disagree with Popper is the Chargers do not need a guy to just help mentor Herbert (it seems Pep and Steichen have done that, even Lynn)- they need a HEAD football coach.

My thing with Brady - being the OC of that LSU team didn't take him being a genius. It was more get the hell out of the way and let the players play
            Burrows
            Helaire
            Jefferson
            JaMarr Chase
            Moss
            on and on and on...

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Yet, Mike McCoy had a better record.
              Norv didn't go 4-12 or 5-11. Not to mention his playoff appearance and division titles.

As for Lynn. He has more wins than Mccoy. Not that I'm a Lynn fan.

Mccoy turtled on offense like Lynn too. He often was content going into halftime when the team had a chance to score before the end of the half. In no way am I praising Lynn. Both of the last two coaches are bad in their own way.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

So why do you think Brady or Arthur would be better than say, Josh McDaniels? If looking at the OC type

Also have any of those mentored the likes of STafford, Manning and Flacco (best year of Flaccos career was when Jim Caldwell was his OC/QB coach).

I guess where I disagree with Popper is the Chargers do not need a guy to just help mentor Herbert (it seems Pep and Steichen have done that, even Lynn)- they need a HEAD football coach.

My thing with Brady - being the OC of that LSU team didn't take him being a genius. It was more get the hell out of the way and let the players play
                Burrows
                Helaire
                Jefferson
                JaMarr Chase
                Moss
                on and on and on...
                that's easy to say after the fact.... who was Joe Burrow before Brady got ahold of him ?? some dude that couldn't beat out Dwayne Haskins @OSU and was el zilcho on most NFL draft pundit radars.

listen to Brady map out how he sets up his program.... he is the anti Lynn.

and Brady mentored Burrow, who has shown what he learned under Brady translates to the NFL game, and now Brady is working w/the QBs in Carolina and they are having success.

Josh McDaniels has already shown me he flopped and pulled out of another opportunity.... why would I want exposure to that when I can have the newest version of the Swiss watch in Brady ??

and yeah, a head ball coach sounds nice, ala Lombardi, Rockne, Landry, Shula, Ditka, and.... pls do not let go to waste the talent that we have snared @QB.... take no chances there, pls.
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

that's easy to say after the fact.... who was Joe Burrow before Brady got ahold of him ?? some dude that couldn't beat out Dwayne Haskins @OSU and was el zilcho on most NFL draft pundit radars.

and Brady mentored Burrow, who has shown what he learned under Brady translates to the NFL game, and now Brady is working w/the QBs in Carolina and they are having success.

Josh McDaniels has already shown me he flopped and pulled out of another opportunity.... why would I want exposure to that when I can have the newest version of the Swiss watch in Brady ??

and yeah, a head ball coach sounds nice, ala Lombardi, Rockne, Landry, Shula, Ditka, and.... pls do not let go to waste the talent that we have snared @QB.... take no chances there, pls.
                  I don't think hiring Jim Caldwell is wasting the talent of Herbert. If Caldwell is interested in the job. Chuck Pagano had Andrew Luck for a few years - he did pretty well with a young good QB

My big thing is the Chargers do not need an offensive coordinator - they need a head football coach. I want a guy that can come in Day 1 and know exactly what needs to be done in the offseason, training camp and the game and won't wet his pants deciding whether to punt or go for it. Brady has never been a head coach.

The model for the Chargers hasn't worked hiring first time head coaches (from the offensive side of the ball) - it just hasn't. Now its not all on the coach, Telesco is pretty average at best but this past Sunday, that had nothing to do with offensive development - that was game day coaching. I have zero idea if Joe Brady is ready for that.

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

I don't think hiring Jim Caldwell is wasting the talent of Herbert. If Caldwell is interested in the job. Chuck Pagano had Andrew Luck for a few years - he did pretty well with a young good QB

My big thing is the Chargers do not need an offensive coordinator - they need a head football coach. I want a guy that can come in Day 1 and know exactly what needs to be done in the offseason, training camp and the game and won't wet his pants deciding whether to punt or go for it. Brady has never been a head coach.

The model for the Chargers hasn't worked hiring first time head coaches (from the offensive side of the ball) - it just hasn't. Now its not all on the coach, Telesco is pretty average at best but this past Sunday, that had nothing to do with offensive development - that was game day coaching. I have zero idea if Joe Brady is ready for that.
                    can't say I disagree w/you in theory, as eye do get the gist of where you're coming from, and.... the situation is as it is.... Brady is an OC and you're not getting him unless you make him the HC.

just sayin' that am willing to take my chances on his learning curve as a HC in exchange for what appears to be the best upcoming skill set of most any OC in the game right now ??

dude is the antithesis of Anthony Lynn and does not sound like the head ball coach is gonna be too big of a job for him, and like I pointed out Pete Rozelle ran the league at 33.... Brady will be 32 next year, and after a year under his belt of Chargers football.... 33.... that's old enough for me.

and agreed, 'tis a risky decision, but have neither seen nor heard anything of or from the likes of a Caldwell or Pagano that makes me overly confident that they are gonna run the table w/Herbert, and where on the other hand, have next to no doubt that most every drop of talent harbored by JH10 will be nothing but extremely well honed by Brady, who just like others before him w/no HC experience, could pan out to be the next big/great thing.... never know 'til you go, and where I know how Caldwell and Pagano have panned out.... they were "ok/decent"

not after pretty good or even pretty, and after listening to Brady talk, don't think you would write that sentence again.... think dude tears chit up Day 1 and knows exactly what needs to be done each and every day, training camp, OTAs, preseason, this season, next season.... 'tis truly a man for all seasons.... he's a good one, and....

can't see him not getting along fabulously w/young John, and let's face it.... that's a job requirement.
                    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Norv didn't go 4-12 or 5-11. Not to mention his playoff appearance and division titles.

As for Lynn. He has more wins than Mccoy. Not that I'm a Lynn fan.

Mccoy turtled on offense like Lynn too. He often was content going into halftime when the team had a chance to score before the end of the half. In no way am I praising Lynn. Both of the last two coaches are bad in their own way.
                      I think even McCoy could have inherited that 14-2 Marty gave Norv and done something with it. At least AS long as Norv did.

Norv was a train wreck til he inherited that team and he still took a loaded team downhill after a few seasons that ended with a horrible OL and his inability to call shorter QB 3 and 5 step drop plays so Rivers could get the damn ball off to a WR. He kept calling those long developing 7 step drop plays and running up the gut with Sproles was like,...WTF.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Bridgewater had success in Nawlins too when he got the chance to play. Not like he was awful in Minnesota either. He only really played there his rookie and sophomore seasons til he got hurt w/ QB ratings of 85 & 89 those years. The Vikes went to the playoffs in his second season with a 11-5 record.

I keep seeing some disregard Caldwell here and he isnt a fav of mine but he did take Detroit to the playoffs 2 times which seems like an impossible task. I think Schwartz took them once in his 5 years before Caldwell did it twice but before that was Wayne Fontes if im not mistaken.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I am a bigger fan of Andy Reid's coaching tree than Belichick's. Mike Vrabel is probably the best and Brian Flores is on his way.

Doug Pederson and Jim Harbaugh both have Super Bowl Rings as HC. From Andy Reid's coaching tree. They are affable and funny and intelligent people.

Bill Belichick is the best coach of my lifetime, bar none, but he is a terse asshole, and he mentors terse assholes. He even says to other new assistants, 'we'll get you another asshole to work with.'
                          That's a quote, btw. That's how Belichick is.

Burrows
                          Helaire
                          Jefferson
                          JaMarr Chase
                          Moss
                          on and on and on...
                          Mentoring: Patrick Mahomes/Chiefs

This is Andy Reid. How much is Eric is the unknown.

Mentoring: Ryan Taneyhill/Titans

This is all OC Arthur Smith.

Mentoring: Josh Allen/Buffalo

This is all OC Brian Daboll.

Comment

Working...
                          X