POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cin...joseph-broncos

and for those bagging in McDaniels character, they better not be fans of Bienemy
    he was no saint himself, especially as a Charger
    I don’t get this Chief love some Charger fans have for them, they hire the worst sacks o shit people in the league, worse than the Raiders recently.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      Two small connections between LAC and McDaniels

Herbert’s comments saying he was a fan of his and wanting to meet him at the combine.
      Herbert is comparable to brady in calm cool demeanor while playing, high football IQ, only with twice the raw physical ability.

Bosa’s interview comparing Urban Meyer to Bill Belicheat and that Patriot like culture. Joey has been vocal lately and has assumed a leadership position. He has Ohio st dna all over him. Tough and a bought-into culture of excellence.

in my estimation our two best players from both sides of the ball are yearning for a Patriot-like culture
      I doubt the Spanos stooges would ever have the balls to consider hiring anyone as controversial as Josh McDaniels but imo it would be a smart, out of the box move while everyone is up Bienemy’s ass. Imo it’s a match, Josh is the taboo reject candidate no teams wants to admit being interested in and the Chargers are the equivalent to that as a franchise

match made in reject heaven
      This is a a tweet below from @JoeBanner13 (still not sure how to embed them) - but he worked for the Eagles and maybe the Browns and this is my point:

People recommending Head coaches need to clear that being a good coordinator does not equal being a good HC. Watching too many people suggest names that have no chance of being a good NFL HC based on scheme success. That’s way too simplistic.

The Chargers need to find a head coach - not a Sr. Offensive (or Defensive) Coordinator. That doesn't mean Brady or Saleh might not succeed - they sure as hell can. But with this history of the Chargers and Spanos - there is a model that has worked and not worked. Even Norv was probably a better head coach than Lynn or McCoy. Ross, Marty, Norv all had experience as a HC. When I think of Joe Banners quote I think of Arthur Smith right away in TN.

Caldwell, Pagano, Bowles, Josh McD, Dennis Allen - even a guy like Del Rio. Mixed back record wise in Oak and Jags but he did go to the playoffs both places
      Brian Kelly from Notre Dame (thats for you Telesco )
      The Moby Dick signing - Urban Meyer

And to your point about Josh McDaniels - I think he is more qualified than many of the names mentioned except for leaving Indy at the altar: Bieniemy, Moore, Daboll, ARthur Smith, Joe Brady .
      Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 12-04-2020, 07:12 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I realize it comes from the NFL but because we hire him, KC gets the picks. Same thing if Detroit hires him. But maybe nobody hires him if we don't is what I'm getting at.
        Now that's an interesting point. So, maybe the Bolts DON'T hire Bieniemy, because they'd be helping load up a division rival with extra picks, which makes the Chefs stronger...the plot thickens...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Now that's an interesting point. So, maybe the Bolts DON'T hire Bieniemy, because they'd be helping load up a division rival with extra picks, which makes the Chefs stronger...the plot thickens...
          If Bieiniemy is the right choice - I don't care the Chiefs get two comp picks. But maybe he isn't the right choice - some of that background is sketchy.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I realize it comes from the NFL but because we hire him, KC gets the picks. Same thing if Detroit hires him. But maybe nobody hires him if we don't is what I'm getting at.
            He apparently interviews badly. Whatever that means. Is Bienemy blunt and honest like Zimmer was in his interviews? Or is he completely clueless?

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cin...joseph-broncos

and for those bagging in McDaniels character, they better not be fans of Bienemy
              he was no saint himself, especially as a Charger
              I don’t get this Chief love some Charger fans have for them, they hire the worst sacks o shit people in the league, worse than the Raiders recently.
              There is some concern but that was decades ago and Bienemy seems to be clean since. Obviously, you want to make sure about the potential rape connection and not pull a Patricia hiring. But I think the rest is understandable given his age then.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

He apparently interviews badly. Whatever that means. Is Bienemy blunt and honest like Zimmer was in his interviews? Or is he completely clueless?
                On the other hand, it was reported at the time that Lynn interviewed well...I wish teams would look more at past performance instead of the interview so much...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Don't know. He was a candidate for the HC job at his Alma mater Colorado back Jan/Feb and he didn't get that job either.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is a a tweet below from @JoeBanner13 (still not sure how to embed them) - but he worked for the Eagles and maybe the Browns and this is my point:

People recommending Head coaches need to clear that being a good coordinator does not equal being a good HC. Watching too many people suggest names that have no chance of being a good NFL HC based on scheme success. That’s way too simplistic.

The Chargers need to find a head coach - not a Sr. Offensive (or Defensive) Coordinator. That doesn't mean Brady or Saleh might not succeed - they sure as hell can. But with this history of the Chargers and Spanos - there is a model that has worked and not worked. Even Norv was probably a better head coach than Lynn or McCoy. Ross, Marty, Norv all had experience as a HC. When I think of Joe Banners quote I think of Arthur Smith right away in TN.

Caldwell, Pagano, Bowles, Josh McD, Dennis Allen - even a guy like Del Rio. Mixed back record wise in Oak and Jags but he did go to the playoffs both places
                    Brian Kelly from Notre Dame (thats for you Telesco )
                    The Moby Dick signing - Urban Meyer

And to your point about Josh McDaniels - I think he is more qualified than many of the names mentioned except for leaving Indy at the altar: Bieniemy, Moore, Daboll, ARthur Smith, Joe Brady .
                    I don’t disagree, I think you’ve made your point clear on several posts, and I still think JMcD would make a fine choice beyond just his success as a HC.
                    what I think it’s even more simplistic is looking at the Chargers head coaching hirings of what has “worked” and “not worked”
                    I think it’s much more complicated than that as well, there was literally hundreds of different circumstances that contributed to their successes and failures
                    imo there is nothing inherently wrong with the logic of hiring people who have relevant experience to do a job they’ve never done before, it’s not ideal but you shouldn’t take points away from a guy BECAUSE they’re a career coordinator, there is still a very good reason why most clubs will hire offensive coordinators for HC position and it’s not because they’re basing their decision on a handful of hiring choices made throughout decades. It’s just not as relevant as you think imho.
                    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

I don’t disagree, I think you’ve made your point clear on several posts, and I still think JMcD would make a fine choice beyond just his success as a HC.
                      what I think it’s even more simplistic is looking at the Chargers head coaching hirings of what has “worked” and “not worked”
                      I think it’s much more complicated than that as well, there was literally hundreds of different circumstances that contributed to their successes and failures
                      imo there is nothing inherently wrong with the logic of hiring people who have relevant experience to do a job they’ve never done before, it’s not ideal but you shouldn’t take points away from a guy BECAUSE they’re a career coordinator, there is still a very good reason why most clubs will hire offensive coordinators for HC position and it’s not because they’re basing their decision on a handful of hiring choices made throughout decades. It’s just not as relevant as you think imho.
                      You have a decision to make and have two choices. It’s a decision you have made before. One path has been successful for you in the past. The other path has NEVER been successful for you in the past. Which path do you take?

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

You have a decision to make and have two choices. It’s a decision you have made before. One path has been successful for you in the past. The other path has NEVER been successful for you in the past. Which path do you take?
                        Sure you can go with that route. It’s definitely the more conservative and safer route. But.....
                        At the end of the day, your past failures don't guarantee future failures. Might as well hire the best guy for the job

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Interview faux pas to hump the interviewer’s legs in a rapey fashion
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X