Front Office: Who Decides on the Next Chargers Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Classic
    Hall Of Fame
    • Dec 2014
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My earliest recollections of the Chargers were the mid 70's - I remember a game in Cincinnati once. But really, it was when Coach Coryell took over - 1978, the year of the Holy Roller. Great times with bad play-offs.

But these NorVisorLynn years have been a struggle. Marty was the last really good coach this team had. I am just sick of the pattern of hiring new first time HCs from the offensive side of the ball

Look at the data Coryell, Ross and Marty have had more success than Gilbride, Lynn, McCoy and Al Saunders. I know Mike Riley was a HC at Oregon State; June Jones, intermi with Atlanta, Hennings sucked. Norv have some good moments - but he is Norvous Turner But you see a pattern - offense, offense offense.

But Bobby Ross was a head coach - not sure his background was offense or defense but he was a solid coach. Marty - more defense/special teams oriented I think

So, Spanii - if you want to keep Telesco and hire a first time HC - just try Dave Toub. He has worked for many good coaches, he will be cheaper but at least its a different mindset.

Joe Brady, Kellen Moore and ARthur Smith haven't done jack s**t , for to, to earn the title. Maybe Bieiniemy - but thats it.

And this stigma that Pagano, Schwartz, Bowles, Dennis Allen are failed head coaches may not be totally true. Pagano had a good record in Indy.
    How are you going to trash Brady, Smith and Moore as failures but prop up massive losers and failures like Pagano or Schwartz as if they are Belichick.

Pagano never demanded a OL from his G.M and was a major part in getting Luck to retire early. Schwartz is egotistical and loves to get into shouting matches with refs and opposing coaches.

They look like Norv retreads rather than Pete Caroll success story your hoping for.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

How are you going to trash Brady, Smith and Moore as failures but prop up massive losers and failures like Pagano or Schwartz as if they are Belichick.

Pagano never demanded a OL from his G.M and was a major part in getting Luck to retire early. Schwartz is egotistical and loves to get into shouting matches with refs and opposing coaches.

They look like Norv retreads rather than Pete Caroll success story your hoping for.

All I know is historically - when the Chargers hire a HC with previous experience over first time HC that were on offense - the results are better.

I am not saying Pagano or Schwartz are Belichick - I just think a once fired person doesn't make him a failure . Plus, maybe the time between jobs helps somebody. And who is to say these guys with very limited experience are ready for the next phase. I have seen that model - it doesn't work for the Chargers

My opinion is solely based on the history - these newby guys haven't worked well. Or did they win a Lombardi and I was asleep

My first choice is still Jim Caldwell, followed by David Shaw, Dave Toub, maybe even the guy from Iowa State, and pick your one fired DC...

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I've had enough of the wimpy management guys. Bring in some old school tough guys for a change.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Lions just fired Patricia. Anyone want him for DC?

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Answer: The same person making the call about pulling the plug on Anthony Lynn right now.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Now it is being presented on sports media as a foregone conclusion. This is a very good and normal sign. The Overton Window has been forever shifted with today's stupefying loss in Buffalo and and it is now possible to talk openly of Anthony Lynn's replacement on sports biosphere.

It is also known as the window of discourse.This bodes well.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                I think establishing a history of facts is important:

First Alex Spanos brought in GM John Butler and Assistant GM AJ Smith in.

Alex Spanos wanted Marty Schottenheimer as head coach and it was so.

GM AJ Smith hired Norv Turner. AJ Smith said at the time 'Now I am on record as having hired a head coach.'

Above was the last time a Charger representative went on-record about choosing a head coach. A singular act of full transparency and accountability in the Chargers hierarchy not seen since. In fact, since 2008 to 2020, the Chargers have regressed in that area to the point that I can name the five in the room who came to the final decision on McCoy back in 2013: Dean, John Spanos, Telesco, Ed McGuire, and Ron Wolf.

2017 - Anthony Lynn Honestly, I'd be guessing but I heard rumblings about John Spanos being the loud trumpet for Lynn.

2020 - IF Anthony Lynn is fired on January 4th, 2021, who makes the decision?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want Dean, AG,& John to clean house.

Kick John upstairs and hire a GM. Call John Dorsey. Interview him. Hire him.

If they want to fight for LA, they better come up with ballsy coaching decisions the way they spent in free agency in 2020.

jag 1.png

Jag 2.png
                Jag 3.png
                No on Dorsey. He has the same ego problem as AJ Smith. I like TT’s demeanor and administrative abilities which is very underrated. I want someone who has that people skill but also knows how to draft. My current ideal GM is someone in the mold of Chris Ballard.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                  Lions just fired Patricia. Anyone want him for DC?
                  You want another bend but don’t break DC?

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Outside the box thinking for this organization: maybe hire a HC first and have him pick the GM. That’s what KC did with Reid, Seattle with Carroll, and Buffalo with McDermott.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

All I know is historically - when the Chargers hire a HC with previous experience over first time HC that were on offense - the results are better.

I am not saying Pagano or Schwartz are Belichick - I just think a once fired person doesn't make him a failure . Plus, maybe the time between jobs helps somebody. And who is to say these guys with very limited experience are ready for the next phase. I have seen that model - it doesn't work for the Chargers

My opinion is solely based on the history - these newby guys haven't worked well. Or did they win a Lombardi and I was asleep

My first choice is still Jim Caldwell, followed by David Shaw, Dave Toub, maybe even the guy from Iowa State, and pick your one fired DC...
                      That line of thinking can also paralyze you from going after a Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan. Guys that had no prior head coaching experience.

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

No on Dorsey. He has the same ego problem as AJ Smith. I like TT’s demeanor and administrative abilities which is very underrated. I want someone who has that people skill but also knows how to draft. My current ideal GM is someone in the mold of Chris Ballard.
                        agree that Dorsey has some similarities to AJ, and.... not so sure that an element of that isn't needed/helpful in the current FO ??

and agree again that Telesco, 'specially post AJ, has some rather redeeming/helpful skills as well, and.... that's the question: who knows how to draft ??

the name that eye have volunteered as Asst. GM is Daniel Jeremiah ??
                        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Jim Caldwell is a guy that can get you in the playoffs occasionally but never that far without an elite QB like Peyton. The Lions were right to fire him. Their mistake was picking the wrong guy as the next HC.

Just to be clear, I want Lynn fired. But he and Caldwell share a similar attribute that I think the next HC needs as well, which is the loyalty of the players. They fight hard for them. We need that in our next HC. We just need additional traits like better game/time management.

Comment

Working...
                          X