Front Office: Who Decides on the Next Chargers Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Just an FYI, they have that backwards. TT chose McCoy, while John was involved with getting Lynn. Both bad choices with Lynn a slight upgrade but ultimately a failure.
    curious as to how you come/came to that conclusion as the committee had been mulling over HC in the same breath they had been considering GMs.

Telesco was pretty much a dark horse that longed the field from pretty much nowhere, and was only a GM for a week before McCoy was hired, and you think it was his hire ??

seem to recall that word on the streets was that the Chargers were pretty much dead set on bringing in a new young offensive minded wiz kid or the like, and hence McCoy ??

and would love to hear how you are certain that he didn't select Lynn, as that is my suspicion as well, and wonder if he wasn't overly excited about the prospects of working w/Lynn in the first place ??

wonder also as to who his choice woulda been ??
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

curious as to how you come/came to that conclusion as the committee had been mulling over HC in the same breath they had been considering GMs.

Telesco was pretty much a dark horse that longed the field from pretty much nowhere, and was only a GM for a week before McCoy was hired, and you think it was his hire ??

seem to recall that word on the streets was that the Chargers were pretty much dead set on bringing in a new young offensive minded wiz kid or the like, and hence McCoy ??

and would love to hear how you are certain that he didn't select Lynn, as that is my suspicion as well, and wonder if he wasn't overly excited about the prospects of working w/Lynn in the first place ??

I been reading from folks on Twitter that John Spanos did indeed hire Mike McCoy and Tom Telesco did hire Anthony Lynn.

Both should be dismissed from positions of power in a professional environment. But we all know that having Dean's son run the club as a hobby is going to continue, so we better make peace with that immutable fact.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I been reading from folks on Twitter that John Spanos did indeed hire Mike McCoy and Tom Telesco did hire Anthony Lynn.

Both should be dismissed from positions of power in a professional environment. But we all know that having Dean's son run the club as a hobby is going to continue, so we better make peace with that immutable fact.
        from what I recall of the AL introductory press conference @Stub Hub, TT's body language def did not support that conclusion.... there was no joy/satisfaction in Telescoville that day, @least by all appearances.
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I remember the timeline well. John didn’t take on president of football operations until 2015 when Dean stepped back to concentrate on getting the new stadium. After McCoy was fired, John vowed to take more of an active role in the next HC hire. Now you can make the argument that it was split four ways since it was a committee consisting of Ron Wolf, Telesco, Dean Spanos, and John Spanos. Though I doubt John was as involved as the other three. Personally, if TT got the job, it was also because he had an available list of potential HC hires similar to how a coach has to have list of potential staff to hire.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            I remember the timeline well. John didn’t take on president of football operations until 2015 when Dean stepped back to concentrate on getting the new stadium. After McCoy was fired, John vowed to take more of an active role in the next HC hire. Now you can make the argument that it was split four ways since it was a committee consisting of Ron Wolf, Telesco, Dean Spanos, and John Spanos. Though I doubt John was as involved as the other three. Personally, if TT got the job, it was also because he had an available list of potential HC hires similar to how a coach has to have list of potential staff to hire.
            sounds like an assumption, and.... very unTelesco like to me ??

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

sounds like an assumption, and.... very unTelesco like to me ??
              Remember when AJ Smith said in 2007 'Now I'm on record as hiring a head coach' in 2007?

13 years ago was the last time Chargers fans were ever given full disclosure and full transparency into decisions in the front office.

You'll never see it again as long as Prince Joffrey Spanos rules the Westeros Chargers.

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

What a difference from 2017, 2018.
                Looked like they had the right coach at that time.
                Rivers had one of his better seasons when they went 12-4. And when 2019 was a down year with an aging QB, it made sense to move on.
                2020 getting Herbert and seeing how well he can play looks very positive in terms of transitioning from past franchise QB to current and future franchise QB.
                And I'd have to believe this Buffalo loss wouldn't be so sour of Badgely made a kick vs NO. If Williams held on to TD pass vs Raiders. If Facyson made a better play on 4th down. Then it's a 6-5 team and still in the hunt. 3 plays.

Having said that. The decision maker perspective of things will matter big time in how they decide to move forward. Whether it's Telesco or Spanos. How are they looking at the coaching?How are they looking at the talent on the field. Do they actually think they are 3 plays away from 6-5. If they do, then they are likely still okay with Lynn because they are looking at players not making winning plays. Or are they looking at other things. The things some others are mentioning about questionable coaching decisions. How do they see it will determine what they do.

​​​Ultimately the decision is likely Spanos on whether Lynn and Telesco are replaced. I have a feeling he is keeping both or dumping both when the decision is made.
                Who has it better than us?

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Joffrey.jpg

@JohnDeanSpanos

Prince Joffery GM of Westeros Chargers

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                    What a difference from 2017, 2018.
                    Looked like they had the right coach at that time.
                    Rivers had one of his better seasons when they went 12-4. And when 2019 was a down year with an aging QB, it made sense to move on.
                    2020 getting Herbert and seeing how well he can play looks very positive in terms of transitioning from past franchise QB to current and future franchise QB.
                    And I'd have to believe this Buffalo loss wouldn't be so sour of Badgely made a kick vs NO. If Williams held on to TD pass vs Raiders. If Facyson made a better play on 4th down. Then it's a 6-5 team and still in the hunt. 3 plays.

Having said that. The decision maker perspective of things will matter big time in how they decide to move forward. Whether it's Telesco or Spanos. How are they looking at the coaching?How are they looking at the talent on the field. Do they actually think they are 3 plays away from 6-5. If they do, then they are likely still okay with Lynn because they are looking at players not making winning plays. Or are they looking at other things. The things some others are mentioning about questionable coaching decisions. How do they see it will determine what they do.

​​​Ultimately the decision is likely Spanos on whether Lynn and Telesco are replaced. I have a feeling he is keeping both or dumping both when the decision is made.
                    I could be wrong, but I disagree...I think TT will be given the opportunity to dump Lynn, and he will do it. I think TT will get another coach...but that coach will probably be his last chance. Lynn, on the other hand, has now lost the court of popular opinion...formerly a well liked coach, there are few media outlets who are sympathetic anymore. He is history...even the Spanos can not ignore the shift.
                    Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Puke
                      Attached Files

Comment

• ghost
                        The Rise of Kellen Moore
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Comment

• KrazyLegs
                          Registered Dude
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Westminster, MA
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                          Other than McDermott, that list doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Going bargain hunting for a head coach is the Spanos way, though.

Comment

Working...
                          X