• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
    I am hoping we move on from Lynn...but I'm not gonna lose my fucking mind over it if he gets his final year, and cry about it all the way through next year...

If he does keep his job, I hope the following conditions are met..

1.TT goes to bat for him, then TT's fate should be tied to Lynn's, period.
    2. Gus is gone. New DC, new scheme
    3. New ST coach
    4. Assistant head coach position created and filled with competent coach to manage the clock per Lynn's directed strategy.
    5. Offensive line is number 1 offseason priority, both in FA and Draft.

If the locker room still has Lynn's back, then I would be content to sit back and watch his final year/chance with an open mind, provided the above conditions hold true...emphasis on #5. If next year Lynn can't raise us above mediocrity, at least Herbert won't get his legs broke, hopefully.

Again, I would like us to move on...but I hope if we let him ride the hot seat the last year of his contract, I don't have to come on here every day, and read the same old shit about how we are gonna suck next season, all the way till next years opening kickoff...boring...
    round the time of TT's "State of the Chargers" address,
    he proclaimed that he, Tom Telesco, would be willing to tie his fate to Anthony Lynn's.

That is apparently the commitment.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Charge!
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

[QUOTE=Silversurfer;n1159665]
      Originally posted by ghost View Post
      #Urban

Got EXCITED reading that then realized it was from 2016 draft lol.
      Ouch!!!..... you had me thinking of positive possibilities instead of the usual and expected negative ones from this bad organization.... lol

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

If Lynn comes back, he only has one year left...it's a do or die situation, so if he doesn't turn his act around big time, he is gone...I don't see this years of players careers being wasted...just one.

Don't get me wrong...I have seen enough...but if he is back, it's on the hot seat.
        If Spanos still likes him and can't see that he is a flawed, horrible coach, and they keep him, in all likelyhood they will extend him, ...... if they can open their eyes and see his issues he has had for 4 years and not gotten better, then they will fire him..... I have no idea if TT has any pull one way or another..... if they keep him they will extend because it takes the pressure off of him and if he suddenly does well, no one else can steal him or he will deserve much more money......

Most teams do not let a coach coach on a one year contract...... or one year remainig.... they usually extend or fire......

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Maybe we can make one of these for our HC most want gone lol

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

agree.... I like him as a person and the fact that players play hard for him...... but players do not play smart for him..... they lack discipline....
            Lynn does not manage games well, is horrible managing time and personnel is overall way too conservative and far too obsessed with making the RB the focal point of our offense..... Lynn does not put the best players on the field at the same time....... he plays slow vets over young players with talent.....

teams should never promote a lifetime RB coach to HC or to OC..... with today's rules, those coaches need to know how to design, and manage a high-scoring passing game and know how to coach QB's......

Lynn is an ex RB and obsessed with making this team into a running one like the ravens.....which is why he went many weeks insisting Taylor was his starter and saying he thought he could win with either QB ...... he wanted a running QB.... who will only throw to wide-open receivers.......

This season, our offense was starting to open up more week after week, then after losing to the raiders but having 200 plus rushing yards, Lynn started taking charge of the offense and slowing it way down.... and the scoring way down..... trying desperately to get Chargers to run and run and run, and passes became mostly screens instead of throwing downfield..... taking the ball from his talented young QB.......

artificially keeping games close was how marty stayed employed for so long and Lynn has taken same approach...... (except marty's teams were much more disciplined.....)...

Ownership usually will fire coaches for losing blowout style, but rarely fire coaches who consistently lose close games ...... close losses are usually blamed on the players but reality is one close loss might be on a player for missing an easy kick, etc, but that many close losses are on the coaches....

and remember that all of our wins were barely wins against BAD teams....... and even CIN beat us but a ticky tack penalty took away their winning TD that they scored rather easily against Gus's soft conservative bend and break defense...... (that he smiles about every week!...even after losses)...JAX has no QB and they scored 29 on our bad defense.....

That is why Lynn and most of rest of the coaches(especially Gus) need to go.......

For the most part I tend to skip over your posts because I know they will be negative and have content that's flat out wrong.

In the quote above in your first paragraph, I found out we do agree that it's time to replace Lynn.

But then you try to support that position with incorrect information in the paragraph I highlighted. The truth is we passed more than we ran in all three of those wins - it was not a case of run, run, run as you say. In total over those three wins we passed 109 times and ran 74 times.

You say Lynn likes to keep the game close because he thinks the owners won't can him for close losses. He must not know he feels that way because in the presser he said he wishes they win by a large margin now and then.

Charge, your posts would be a lot more meaningful if you'd try to stick to facts!
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
              Good talker but doesnt know the Spani's

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

I am hoping we move on from Lynn...but I'm not gonna lose my fucking mind over it if he gets his final year, and cry about it all the way through next year...

If he does keep his job, I hope the following conditions are met..

1.TT goes to bat for him, then TT's fate should be tied to Lynn's, period.
                2. Gus is gone. New DC, new scheme
                3. New ST coach
                4. Assistant head coach position created and filled with competent coach to manage the clock per Lynn's directed strategy.
                5. Offensive line is number 1 offseason priority, both in FA and Draft.

If the locker room still has Lynn's back, then I would be content to sit back and watch his final year/chance with an open mind, provided the above conditions hold true...emphasis on #5. If next year Lynn can't raise us above mediocrity, at least Herbert won't get his legs broke, hopefully.

Again, I would like us to move on...but I hope if we let him ride the hot seat the last year of his contract, I don't have to come on here every day, and read the same old shit about how we are gonna suck next season, all the way till next years opening kickoff...boring...
                Exactly - well stated! We are thinking the same with this through process. New DC - and I don't want Milus - I want a new scheme. Hence, I keep saying Rex

The ST coach is obvious as well as a new Asst HC that helps monitor clock management

And lastly I agree about OL. The Chargers this offseason - said it in another thread, narrow the scope: OL, Special Teams, DL and if you have room, a CB opposite Davis. Keep it simple, build the foundation. Don't worry about the fancy granite countertops and tile floors. Get the foundation, roof, plumbing and electrical installed this year. Keep it focused and strategic.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Utah
                  • Midnight Toker
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  Anthony Lynn will return as coach of the Chargers next season (I don't know if they will extend his contract by one year or let him coach out his contract in 2021 to earn, or not earn, a new contract.) The three-game win streak has saved his job. The Spamnoses will be satisfied with that, regardless of the outcome of next week's game in KC. This is my opinion, based on observing the Spamnoses operate for 36 years. So, let's look at the positives of Anthony Lynn return next season:
                  • Continuity - changing head coaches every few years is detrimental to a franchise. KC, New England, Seattle, Baltimore, among the league's most successful teams have had the same coach for a lengthy period.
                  • Herbert - keeping him in the same system with the same coaches. Steichen and Hamilton played a role in Herbert having a record-setting season as a rookie. In year two Herbert is going to be much more comfortable and familiar with the system, and he will take huge steps forward, and he's already a top 10 QB.
                  • The players still play hard for him. He hasn't lost the locker room, and to a player I think they all respect him.
                  • Can the Spamnoses be trusted to hire a HC who is an upgrade over Lynn? Their track record is abysmal. Lynn did win his first two seasons. How do we know they won't hire another Mike McCoy?

Those are the best reasons I can come up with to keep Lynn. But Lynn must absolutely do two things:
                  • Replace Gus Bradley. Bradley's scheme does not work with the personnel he has. Our next DC must design a defense that best exploits the talent this team has, not try to force his players to fit a scheme he is in love with but that doesn't maximize the strength of the personnel. Bradly seems to be very inflexible, unable or afraid to depart from his scheme and be creative with his game plans.
                  • Lynn absolutely must let go of the offense he has wanted to implement since he got here and let Steichen develop an offense that maximizes Herbert's strengths. Lynn must have a "come to Jesus" epiphany with himself about this, or he will fail. This has been discussed ad nauseum recently on the Fox/CBS programs, about how coaches who are successful adapt to their players instead of forcing their players to adapt to them. Lynn had a once in a generation talent drop into his lap. Now he must adapt to that talent, not force Herbert to adapt to him. If he doesn't, he will fail.
                  No way. When you loose that many close games, show that you have no concept of clock management, you have to go. What is it? 19 games now lost by one score or less? That record is a bullhorn alerting everyone there is a coaching problem.

Keeping Herbert in a system? You call that a system? I would seriously like you to sit back and think what this unimaginative, restrictive, horizontal offense would do in KC. You have one of the best weapons in the league and you throw screens, bubble screens, draws, dumps. I would get him out in space 20% or more by rolling him or rolling the pocket as well. He throws dimes on the run. It is a major weapon they NEVER use it. Coaching is not developing his strengths.
                  Bottom line this is a new Era in Charger history. Get the kid someone like Mcdaniels or any QB developmental coach. Lynn is NOT the guy to develop a prodigy. Neither is Steichen.

Pull up the big boy pants. Fire the coaching staff. The Chargers coaching openings will be RED HOT because of Herbert. TT has to do the right thing for Herbert.

#1 priority. GET A DAMN OFFENSIVE LINE. Free agency + draft. I wouldn't mind 5 of our 9 draft picks were to be Olinemen. Dead serious. You have the franchise QB now protect him.
                  Last edited by SuperCharged; 12-29-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

I hope all these broken quotes are'nt some deep glitch in the TPB's matrix.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

That's interesting. Health huh? Lol, we had a big list and still picked those that are hurt all the time.
                      Or maybe their luck ran out, who knows.

I understand it's tough and it's a crap shoot.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I don't know what to think of Anthony Lynn. Initially, I liked the hire because I thought the Chargers should transition toward rushing the ball more as Rivers got older (the way the Colts have done). But now with Herbert on board, the Chargers should build an offense around Herbert's ability to spin the rock. And Lynn's philosophy is contrary to that.

It's important to remember that Lynn went 12-4 in 2018... not that long ago. What has changed since then? Did TT get AL the players he needed to implement his philosophy? Did AL agree with most of the personnel decisions? One thing is for sure, without the right players, no coach will be successful.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                          I don't know what to think of Anthony Lynn. Initially, I liked the hire because I thought the Chargers should transition toward rushing the ball more as Rivers got older (the way the Colts have done). But now with Herbert on board, the Chargers should build an offense around Herbert's ability to spin the rock. And Lynn's philosophy is contrary to that.

It's important to remember that Lynn went 12-4 in 2018... not that long ago. What has changed since then? Did TT get AL the players he needed to implement his philosophy? Did AL agree with most of the personnel decisions? One thing is for sure, without the right players, no coach will be successful.
                          It's back to that Andy Reid quote for me: Bad coaches flame out in Year 3 or Year 4.

AJ Smith 10 seasons as GM 5 AFC West Titles

Tom Telesco 8 seasons as GM and 0 AFC West Titles

Comment

Working...
                          X