• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    I don't know what to think of Anthony Lynn. Initially, I liked the hire because I thought the Chargers should transition toward rushing the ball more as Rivers got older (the way the Colts have done). But now with Herbert on board, the Chargers should build an offense around Herbert's ability to spin the rock. And Lynn's philosophy is contrary to that.

It's important to remember that Lynn went 12-4 in 2018... not that long ago. What has changed since then? Did TT get AL the players he needed to implement his philosophy? Did AL agree with most of the personnel decisions? One thing is for sure, without the right players, no coach will be successful.
    I don't think Telesco has done a good job the last two years -- hence I think he should be fired

The Chargers won many close games in 2018:
    TN in London
    Seattle came down to a 4th quarter stop to win by 8 because the FG kicker missed a few kicks
    Pittsburgh was a comeback
    KC was a comeback

Those are off the top of my head so basically the Chargers did well in close games that year. I remember reading Barnwell in 2019 before the season and he thought there would be a regression because of so many close games. And yes, they regressed and this year too

Lynn likes to play the game close to the vest, keep it close. Its obvious - he wants to run the ball, have balance, etc. I think thats kind of risky unless you have EXCELLENT Special Teams and a better defense and lastly, be able to run the ball with a better OL.

So to me if Lynn is back: Telesco needs to focus on OL, DLine and Special Teams

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

round the time of TT's "State of the Chargers" address,
      he proclaimed that he, Tom Telesco, would be willing to tie his fate to Anthony Lynn's.

That is apparently the commitment.
      I like this concept, Woody. Keeping Lynn is not earning our respect, as LA football fans.

Dean Spanos.png

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Supposedly Chargers can not run for jack squat. So why keep trying. They are 60/40 in favor of pass. So they are mixing it up.

​​​​Ekeler has started 9 games. These are his avg. per carry.
        3.14 ( his first game back from injury)

So the team apparently can run the ball at a solid clip per carry avg when Herbert hands it off to Ekeler.
        Ekeler worst performance was the game back from injury

​​​​​​Kelley has 7 games of worse performances than Ekeler worst.
        And he isn't as good as reciever or pass blocking.

Ballage had 3 games of worse performances than Ekeler worst.
        ​​​​​ And he isn't as good of reciever or pass blocking.

IMO this shows 2 things. One, the line isn't making it easy for RBs to just churn out yardage. Two. Ekeler has much better burst and runs much better behind his blockers with way better vision than the back ups. Making the o line look better than they are.

Need to find better RB depth. So the drop off isn't so dramatic when Ekeler got injured. And better o-line so they can churn out those yards with back ups when needed.

If Kelley and Ballage were cut. Neither would get picked up to be the #2 RB by any team in the entire league. Possibly #3 by some teams. Or more likely, just get added to a practice squads as emergency RB depth.

Its difficult to make a 5 star meal with 1 star ingredients.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I like this concept, Woody. Keeping Lynn is not earning our respect, as LA football fans.

Dean Spanos.png
          If Deano really wants our respect, he'll fire Lynn, Bradley & Stewart, and hire a REAL HC, DC and ST coach...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
            Supposedly Chargers can not run for jack squat. So why keep trying. They are 60/40 in favor of pass. So they are mixing it up.

​​​​Ekeler has started 9 games. These are his avg. per carry.
            3.14 ( his first game back from injury)

So the team apparently can run the ball at a solid clip per carry avg when Herbert hands it off to Ekeler.
            Ekeler worst performance was the game back from injury

​​​​​​Kelley has 7 games of worse performances than Ekeler worst.
            And he isn't as good as reciever or pass blocking.

Ballage had 3 games of worse performances than Ekeler worst.
            ​​​​​ And he isn't as good of reciever or pass blocking.

IMO this shows 2 things. One, the line isn't making it easy for RBs to just churn out yardage. Two. Ekeler has much better burst and runs much better behind his blockers with way better vision than the back ups. Making the o line look better than they are.

Need to find better RB depth. So the drop off isn't so dramatic when Ekeler got injured. And better o-line so they can churn out those yards with back ups when needed.

If Kelley and Ballage were cut. Neither would get picked up to be the #2 RB by any team in the entire league. Possibly #3 by some teams. Or more likely, just get added to a practice squads as emergency RB depth.

Its difficult to make a 5 star meal with 1 star ingredients.
            Good points, Critty. So, we need to do two things: Upgrade our line and, aside from Ekkie, upgrade our RB's...I didn't realize Kelley and Ballage YPC was so low...Ballage had ONE good game, his first one...after that, it's been mostly downhill...

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

It's back to that Andy Reid quote for me: Bad coaches flame out in Year 3 or Year 4.

AJ Smith 10 seasons as GM 5 AFC West Titles

Tom Telesco 8 seasons as GM and 0 AFC West Titles
              Yeah, 8 seasons is enough. I had my doubts after year 1 (DJ Fluker draft).
              I think you were advocating Eric Bienemy at one point for HC. I'd be down for that. Promote Pep Hamilton to Offensive Coordinator. I'm done with Gus D. Show everybody but Hamilton the door... along with the man who hired them (Telesco).
              Last edited by Boltnut; 12-28-2020, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Yeah, 8 seasons is enough. I had my doubts after year 1 (DJ Fluker draft).
                I think you advocating Eric Bienemy at one point for HC. I'd be down for that. Promote Pep Hamilton to Offensive Coordinator. I'm done with Gus D. Show everybody but Hamilton the door... along with the man who hired them (Telesco).
                Just watched Tom Telesco's entire January 4th, 2018 State of The Chargers Address, and Telesco said their #1 goal for the 2017 season was to win the division. He had 8 cracks at it. I'm not interested in a 9th.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

image_2020-12-28_173327.png

https://www.chargedupbolts.com/blog/...re-tom-telesco

6th Worst GM in the league. Those other franchises would have killed for that kind of QB-play: Rivers + Herbert
                  Last edited by ghost; 12-28-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I don't think Telesco has done a good job the last two years -- hence I think he should be fired

The Chargers won many close games in 2018:
                    TN in London
                    Seattle came down to a 4th quarter stop to win by 8 because the FG kicker missed a few kicks
                    Pittsburgh was a comeback
                    KC was a comeback

Those are off the top of my head so basically the Chargers did well in close games that year. I remember reading Barnwell in 2019 before the season and he thought there would be a regression because of so many close games. And yes, they regressed and this year too

Lynn likes to play the game close to the vest, keep it close. Its obvious - he wants to run the ball, have balance, etc. I think thats kind of risky unless you have EXCELLENT Special Teams and a better defense and lastly, be able to run the ball with a better OL.

So to me if Lynn is back: Telesco needs to focus on OL, DLine and Special Teams
                    That's my feeling, too. I keep going back to the 2017 and 2018 years/rosters... because those are the last seasons with winning records. The one constant I see is Russell Okung. He's on both the 9-7 team and the 12-4 team. There are other factors on that 2018 roster. Derwin James' has an outstanding rookie year. And Mike Pouncey puts in a full year.

So I start wondering... is James' impact that profound... or is it Pouncey's...? How can the team improve from 9-7 to 12-4 in one year? I also decided to look at the 2016 roster and 2019 rosters.
                    Here's what I found: Okung (LT) and Pouncey (OC) are the factors most responsible for the improvement. While James is a player you have to account for (3.5 sacks, 3 interceptions) the 2017 roster (with Tre Boston at safety) was actually a better defense (272 points) than the 2018 defense (329). The difference between 2017 and 2018 defense appears to be the health of Bosa and Ingram. They both play 16 games that season and get 12.5 and 10.5 sacks respectively. In 2018, Both Bosa's and Ingram's sack numbers go down (5.5 and 7.0 respectively) when Bosa gets hurt... yet their record improves!

So, yes! OL and DL need to improve! Surprising to find that OC may be more important than DE...
                    BTW... Melvin Gordon's ypc had always been around 3.8 ypc. In 2018, it went up to 5.1 ypc.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If Deano really wants our respect, he'll fire Lynn, Bradley & Stewart, and hire a REAL HC, DC and ST coach...
                      And GM.TT had his shot and crapped out.Past time for new blood.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

That's my feeling, too. I keep going back to the 2017 and 2018 years/rosters... because those are the last seasons with winning records. The one constant I see is Russell Okung. He's on both the 9-7 team and the 12-4 team. There are other factors on that 2018 roster. Derwin James' has an outstanding rookie year. And Mike Pouncey puts in a full year.

So I start wondering... is James' impact that profound... or is it Pouncey's...? How can the team improve from 9-7 to 12-4 in one year? I also decided to look at the 2016 roster and 2019 rosters.
                        Here's what I found: Okung (LT) and Pouncey (OC) are the factors most responsible for the improvement. While James is a player you have to account for (3.5 sacks, 3 interceptions) the 2017 roster (with Tre Boston at safety) was actually a better defense (272 points) than the 2018 defense (329). The difference between 2017 and 2018 defense appears to be the health of Bosa and Ingram. They both play 16 games that season and get 12.5 and 10.5 sacks respectively. In 2018, Both Bosa's and Ingram's sack numbers go down (5.5 and 7.0 respectively) when Bosa gets hurt... yet their record improves!

So, yes! OL and DL need to improve! Surprising to find that OC may be more important than DE...
                        BTW... Melvin Gordon's ypc had always been around 3.8 ypc. In 2018, it went up to 5.1 ypc.
                        Whattya know????O line and D line have a Major effect on wins and losses?!?Trenchers been right allll along.Keep the modern football b.s., winning is a pyramid.Besides the obvious need for a new coaching staff on the field it starts with a great QB at the top then great O line,D line,and on down from there.K.I.S.S.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

No way. When you loose that many close games, show that you have no concept of clock management, you have to go. What is it? 19 games now lost by one score or less? That record is a bullhorn alerting everyone there is a coaching problem.

Keeping Herbert in a system? You call that a system? I would seriously like you to sit back and think what this unimaginative, restrictive, horizontal offense would do in KC. You have one of the best weapons in the league and you throw screens, bubble screens, draws, dumps. I would get him out in space 20% or more by rolling him our or rolling the pocket as well. He throws dimes on the run. It is a major weapon they NEVER use it. Coaching.

Bottom line this is a new Era in Charger history. Get the kid someone like Mcdaniels or any QB developmental coach. Lynn is NOT the guy to develop a prodigy. Neither is Steichen.

Pull up the big boy pants. Fire the coaching staff. The Chargers coaching openings will be RED HOT because of Herbert. TT has to the right thing for Herbert.

#1 priority. GET A DAMN OFFENSIVE LINE. Free agency + draft. I wouldn't mind 5 of our 9 draft picks were to be Olinemen. Dead serious. You have the franchise QB now protect him.
                          One hundred percent lockstep
                          P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

Working...
                          X