• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
    Chargers are forcing Staley to keep the same offense staff from last season. They were super impressed with the offense that ranked #18 in points despite having the best rookie QB in recent time.

No wonder Saleh wanted nothing to do with this team and dipped after the 1st interview. Even I’d rather coach the Jets and bring in my own staff than be demanded to keep an absolute idiot like Shane Steichen on the staff.
    1) not sure how accurate Lombardi has been lately. Personally I used to like him now I kind of think he is full of himself. I have seen him on the Pat McAfee show - it brings out the dooshebag in certain guests

2) the first hire of the Staley era was the guy from the Raiders, the OL/TE coach, that doesn't sound like keeping all the offensive staff

3) if they promote Pep to OC and make Steichen the QB coach - so flip the roles - fine by me

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Wow. Lots of conclusion jumping here by some of us. And some blind hatred of the Charger front office. Any candidate not picked turned the Chargers down because of the Spanos family. Being cheap is the overall determiner in hiring Staley. We took too long and we are too slow. We went too fast and did not think it through. By the way, Daboll was NOT offered the job. And his reaction was to decide after the Staley news to stay in Buffalo. So he did not turn down the job and he could easily have said he was not leaving Buffalo a few weeks ago if he did not want the Charger job. In fact that would have been advantageous as it would have shown committment to his current team but he didnt do that because he wanted the Charger job. He just didnt get it.

Many 'experts' in the sports world think retaining Steichen and Pep is a very good idea. So if it happens, IF, it is not all about being cheap or forcing Staley to do things. It might just be in the best interest of Herbert and therefore the team. Steichen might really connect with Staley, who knows? They are both very young and Steichen is not an idiot. Maybe needed to learn and grow and gain more experience but not an idiot.

It is also interesting to me that Pep gets all the credit from many here for Herbert and Steichen gets none. In fact I keep reading that Steichen held Herbert back and retarded his growth in spite of all the great stuff Pep did. That's hogwash, friends. Steichen designed and installed the game plan. Steichen called the plays. And Steichen had a good pacing on giving Herbert more and more to do. I won't shed tears if he is not retained, but some of the representations made here are just not factual.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Something surprising to me is how many coaches and connections Staley has in the college and pro ranks. For a guy who hasn't been around long I am impressed. And it is a good sign that a 'genius" is not introverted and unable to make connections. The Raider coach he just signed looks really good and he moved over right away.

McVay is like that, too. Super smart but also a real connector with people. I think that is why he is such a successful coach and keeps hiring great assistants. I never really listened to him a lot, though, and his demeanor and tone really remind me of Gruden.

TG
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

1) not sure how accurate Lombardi has been lately. Personally I used to like him now I kind of think he is full of himself. I have seen him on the Pat McAfee show - it brings out the dooshebag in certain guests

2) the first hire of the Staley era was the guy from the Raiders, the OL/TE coach, that doesn't sound like keeping all the offensive staff

3) if they promote Pep to OC and make Steichen the QB coach - so flip the roles - fine by me
          Doesn't work that way. Steichen will be gone for Pep to be the OC, and that is just fine with me.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post
            Im going to take a positive approach to our new HC.....

Lets assume that he is a super smart inventive aggressiove HC, leader of team and the defense.....

I will assume that he hires a brilliant aggressive OC and lets him coach our offense to score as many points as possible.....

Lets assume he hires a brilliant DC that shuts down offenses and terrorizes QB's........

and he hires a great ST's coscdh who makes our ST's near top of the league.....

What happens if Herbvert'a new OC leads and offense thswt averages between 30-40 pts per game...... Chargers win division and advance in playoffs..... how do we keep our staff together? Our OC will be hired by some team as HC...... maybe DC also but Staley will be the main voice on defense anyway..... so he can hire another DC that will execute his scheme.....

Does Staley have to find another brilliant OC every year or 2???? Does Herbert have to endure new coaches every year or 2????..... That is a huge advantage to hiring a brilliant OC as HC..... then your star QB has a consistent voice in his head..... Reid will coach Mahomes likely for rest of his career.....

Staley may be a great guy, leader and brilliant defensive coach...... and maybe herbie is so great that it does not matter who coaches him???.... but.......is this the best way to support your star QB?????

.....just thoughts.......

still cant believe raiders were stupid enough to hire bradley when raiders have scored easily against his defense for years...... lol

Then you have to hope that the guy who replaces the previous OC is running the same offensive system. In this case, I’m assuming our system will be the same as Shanahan’s. And that we have a good pipeline if an OC gets promoted. Staley can also play a role in preparing Herbert for different types of defenses and looks like what Belichick did with Brady. One of the unique things about McVay, which I hope Staley also does, is looking for unique hires that’s outside the norm so things stay fresh. It’s a conundrum either way. We ended up hiring Norv as HC because Cam left to be HC for the Dolphins, so it’s not like we have a good record of going the opposite direction either.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Then you have to hope that the guy who replaces the previous OC is running the same offensive system. In this case, I’m assuming our system will be the same as Shanahan’s. And that we have a good pipeline if an OC gets promoted. Staley can also play a role in preparing Herbert for different types of defenses and looks like what Belichick did with Brady. One of the unique things about McVay, which I hope Staley also does, is looking for unique hires that’s outside the norm so things stay fresh. It’s a conundrum either way. We ended up hiring Norv as HC because Cam left to be HC for the Dolphins, so it’s not like we have a good record of going the opposite direction either.
              Bring back Whisenhunt. Id much rather have him than Steichen if we are keeping the same system. Probably wont happen though since TT let Lynn can him....unless he was cool with getting paid to sit home lol.

But i wouldnt mind a change in offense.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • SoDak
                • Technology Director
                • Send PM

A couple names I haven't heard mentioned in this thread, who would be possibilities?

Nathaniel Hackett (OC Green Bay), runs the same basic system as the Rams...but doesn't call plays because LeFleur does.

Mike Kafka (QB KC) who has been mentioned in some other threads. Also the Passing Game coordinator.
                I think he would be a good fit for Herbert (Mahomes), and does run the Andy Reid version of the WC Offense.
                We already hired a Run Game Coordinator from the Raiders (Gruden WC Offense)

On one hand, I didn't mind Steichen that much... I do think he was under orders to "run the ball", and I thought he did a nice job with some misdirection's and screens and things like that.

On the other hand, I think I'd like something fresh.
                "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

A common concern with hiring a defensive guy was this idea of having to find a new OC every few years as they got poached.
                  with every hire on the offensive side, including even some that appear insignificant like Frank Smith, we have to ask ourselves if they have the potential to develop into a component OC.
                  It would behoove Staley to assess for this ambition while interviewing individuals for position coaching positions
                  being an ambitious guy himself, it shouldn’t be hard to spot

Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

A common concern with hiring a defensive guy was this idea of having to find a new OC every few years as they got poached.
                    with every hire on the offensive side, including even some that appear insignificant like Frank Smith, we have to ask ourselves if they have the potential to develop into a component OC.
                    It would behoove Staley to assess for this ambition while interviewing individuals for position coaching positions
                    being an ambitious guy himself, it shouldn’t be hard to spot
                    I think this goes both ways. DC gets poached as well. Just look at Saleh and Staley. It is just the nature of the beast. You can’t stop people from getting promoted.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Bring back Whisenhunt. Id much rather have him than Steichen if we are keeping the same system. Probably wont happen though since TT let Lynn can him....unless he was cool with getting paid to sit home lol.

But i wouldnt mind a change in offense.
                      Whis didn’t run the Shanahan scheme here. A big reason is because that wasn’t Rivers’ forte due to his lack of mobility.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Whis didn’t run the Shanahan scheme here. A big reason is because that wasn’t Rivers’ forte due to his lack of mobility.
                        We ran Shanahans system? I find that hard to believe. Steichen took over for Whis and we arent changing systems mid season. If you are saying they changed it up this last season then im certainly in favor of running a different offense next season and canning Steichen.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                          A couple names I haven't heard mentioned in this thread, who would be possibilities?

Nathaniel Hackett (OC Green Bay), runs the same basic system as the Rams...but doesn't call plays because LeFleur does.

Mike Kafka (QB KC) who has been mentioned in some other threads. Also the Passing Game coordinator.
                          I think he would be a good fit for Herbert (Mahomes), and does run the Andy Reid version of the WC Offense.
                          We already hired a Run Game Coordinator from the Raiders (Gruden WC Offense)

On one hand, I didn't mind Steichen that much... I do think he was under orders to "run the ball", and I thought he did a nice job with some misdirection's and screens and things like that.

On the other hand, I think I'd like something fresh.
                          I think i saw somewhere that Kafka is staying at KC, but i could be wrong.

Comment

Working...
                          X