• Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    I get the idea is to extend MW to lower his cap in 2021
    but am I reading this right in that if we straight cut MW, there is a zero dead cap?
    If so, and he is the barrier to solidifying a Trent Williams, I consider it
    I know Henry just left, and MW would be devastating now, but I’m sure we can find or trade for weapons
    If the Chargers release Mike Williams today - they would save 15.7m against the cap. They technically do not need to release him to sign Trent Williams if they could have him agree to an extension (say something like 4 years, 50m, like $30 m guaranteed) - His cap number would drop to something like $8-10m and the Chargers would have more cap space

I guess the decision in Chargers land this morning
    1) is Trent Williams even available
    2) how do you want to spread the funds

I can see both sides. Trent Williams is the slam dunk signing that really solidifies the OL but the draft will for sure be about filling needs and the rest of free agency will be those veterans on minimum level or less dollar deals

If you do not get Williams - you can easily sign a Troy Hill at CB, an OG or OT for depth, Safety and TE -

You just have to weight what you can get some veterans for depth for and how big is the variance between a Troy Hill and a minimum level veteran CB (Janoris Jenkins)

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I am not sure I want Ertz - he is 8.25m when Kyle Rudolph would probably be like $5-6m of cap/cash. Ertz probably is better at this time - but how much better. Just not sure about Ertz

I am still dreaming too big!
      Rudoplh is blah compared to Ertz, ..not athletic, more traditional TE and we can restructure Ertz deal for this season with turning it into a signing bonus to lower his cap,.... After this season his cap hits are cheap.

Comment

• WindsorUK
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Windsor, U.K.
        • Send PM

If we sign Trent Williams, it won't matter if MW's here or not! Our O line will give JH so much time to throw the ball, I see Fleet coming out of retirement and becoming a weapon!:Cheers1:

Comment

• Fleet
          Fleet commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha
      • Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Rudoplh sux compared to Ertz and we can restructure Ertz deal for this season with turning it into a signing bonus to lower his cap,.... After this season his cap hits are cheap.
        Ertz isn't signed for next year so if the Chargers were to trade for Ertz - they would probably want to extend his contract, If the Chargers get Ertz and it costs them a 6th or 7th - fine. I am not giving up a 4th or 5th for Zach Ertz. Ahh hell no. IF not, Rudolph or Jared Cook would suffice for me. Not that great of a difference.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Ertz isn't signed for next year so if the Chargers were to trade for Ertz - they would probably want to extend his contract If the Chargers get Ertz and it costs them a 6th or 7th - fine. IF not, Rudolph or Jared Cook would suffice for me. Not that great of a difference.
            THAT would be a GREAT deal!
            Build the O line, ANY of these dudes will catch plenty of balls.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Ertz isn't signed for next year so if the Chargers were to trade for Ertz - they would probably want to extend his contract, If the Chargers get Ertz and it costs them a 6th or 7th - fine. I am not giving up a 4th or 5th for Zach Ertz. Ahh hell no. IF not, Rudolph or Jared Cook would suffice for me. Not that great of a difference.
              This says he is unless it changed recently but he is usually up on things. Says his contract can void in Fen 2022. Either way , they can do something to lower it. Id rather have Ertz over Rudolph and Cook. Not interested in Rudolph at all. But either way we probably still draft a TE.

Zach Ertz contract and salary cap details, including signing bonus, guaranteed salary, dead money, roster bonuses, and contract history

Comment

• UtahBolt
                Did we win?
                • Jun 2013
                • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                • Send PM

Out of Ertz, Rudolph or Cook, who is the better run blocker? Anyone have any insight?
                I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                  If we sign Trent Williams, it won't matter if MW's here or not! Our O line will give JH so much time to throw the ball, I see Fleet coming out of retirement and becoming a weapon!:Cheers1:
                  Popper insists we arent cutting MW. He is either extended or he plays on the 15.7 deal.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

This says he is unless it changed recently but he is usually up on things. Says his contract can void in Fen 2022. Either way , they can do something to lower it. Id rather have Ertz over Rudolph and Cook. Not interested in Rudolph at all. But either way we probably still draft a TE.

https://overthecap.com/player/zach-ertz/112/
                    Those last two years are dead cap figures for the Eagles. HIs last year with any money is this year, the $8.25m.

My thing - I am not wasting a draft pick and cap space on Zach Ertz until I have explored other options. That doesn't mean Trent Williams. But it might be a better player on defense than ZAch Ertz at TE.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

Trade up for Sewell and make my day!
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Those last two years are dead cap figures for the Eagles. HIs last year with any money is this year, the $8.25m.

My thing - I am not wasting a draft pick and cap space on Zach Ertz until I have explored other options. That doesn't mean Trent Williams. But it might be a better player on defense than ZAch Ertz at TE.
                        OK, then no big. Just convert some of that to a bonus and his cap is smaller. And i dont care if its a 6th round pick. I dont want to give a 3rd for sure and Cook and especially Rudolph arent better options at TE.

If the Chargers want him they will do the right thing. Ertz missed some time last year but he has been healthier than Henry has in his career.

Comment

Working...
                        X