• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

The NFL and NFLPA are still negotiating what the final number will be, but it is heading towards being higher than the $175 million minimum the two sides agreed to last summer. Teams may not learn what the official number will be until just hours or days before free agency begins. The league is still projecting how many fans will be able to attend 2021 games, something that's mostly out of the league's control. The hope is that vaccinations are ramped up over the next months and that stadiums can be at or near full capacity next fall. The difference between a $175 million and $185 million salary cap may sound small for a roster of over 50 players, but it will be the difference between some veterans being cut or staying on their current deal. The belief is that this will be a buyer's market as many players battle for fewer dollars available. Expect more short-term deals from veterans, who will look to land a more lucrative contract the following season when the salary cap inevitably explodes.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Here are the roster numbers and effective cap space. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

We'll be watching Jags, Colts, Jets, Pats, and WFT re-sign a lot of their FA's and then snag a number of higher priced FA's.
      Look for lots of cuts coming from Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Steelers, Packers, Rams, Chiefs... And these teams will be hard-pressed to re-sign any of their FA's.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
        Here are the roster numbers and effective cap space. https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

We'll be watching Jags, Colts, Jets, Pats, and WFT re-sign a lot of their FA's and then snag a number of higher priced FA's.
        Look for lots of cuts coming from Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Steelers, Packers, Rams, Chiefs... And these teams will be hard-pressed to re-sign any of their FA's.
        With all these teams cutting high-priced players, we need to be especially vigilant we don't stash a good young player on our PS and get poached by a team doing coupon shopping...

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Wow, the Saints must have a great capologist. 112 mil in the hole? Is Armstead a FA?

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Hard to compare MW to Hopkins when Hopkins is the #1 WR for each team he has been on and our #1 WR is Keenan.

Same with Evans and i know you're thinking drafting a WR #7 shouldnt be a #2 WR but Keenan is what he is. He isnt a deep threat but he would be a #1 on many other teams. I dont know what TT's thought was when drafting MW but it is what it is.
            It’s not like it’s impossible to have two #1s. The Vikings for example had Thielen and Diggs for awhile. Godwin is pretty good in his own right playing opposite Mike Evans in TB. MW just added a different dimension than KA. The big receiver who can play jump ball but also go deep. He just never lived up to his draft status.
            Edit: we probably drafted MW because our receivers in 2016 were all injured including KA with an ACL tear.
            Last edited by Xenos; 02-04-2021, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

It looks more positive now.
              What's TT's saying ?
              We will be able to retain everyone we want to.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

So....the Rams are in desperate need of cap space....and have shit for draft picks, especially after the Stafford trade...and had some younger DBs not looking too bad this last season...I am not real familiar with them, but remember some members on here speculating on Staley attracting some of them here....but I have my eye on a bigger prize.

Anybody think Jalen Ramsey is on the block? And might love to come play with James....and for Staley? Doesn't have to move, outta Rams conference...no conflict of interest. Sounds like a pipe dream...except it makes a hell of a lot of sense for both teams. Rams gain pick(s) they don't have, and cap space they are out of currently...Chargers secondary complete, reuniting Ramsey with Staley and James...

Only question is the price. I would give a first next year, and maybe a mid round pick. May seem cheap, considering what the Rams gave for him, but remember....they get great cap relief...it's a buyers market...
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                  So....the Rams are in desperate need of cap space....and have shit for draft picks, especially after the Stafford trade...and had some younger DBs not looking too bad this last season...I am not real familiar with them, but remember some members on here speculating on Staley attracting some of them here....but I have my eye on a bigger prize.

Anybody think Jalen Ramsey is on the block? And might love to come play with James....and for Staley? Doesn't have to move, outta Rams conference...no conflict of interest. Sounds like a pipe dream...except it makes a hell of a lot of sense for both teams. Rams gain pick(s) they don't have, and cap space they are out of currently...Chargers secondary complete, reuniting Ramsey with Staley and James...

Only question is the price. I would give a first next year, and maybe a mid round pick. May seem cheap, considering what the Rams gave for him, but remember....they get great cap relief...it's a buyers market...
                  I think the Chargers should focus on other Ram players like John JohnsonIII, maybe Austin Blythe, Troy Hill. And they have an RFA - Derius Williams - they are going to tender - maybe make a run at him - depending on what the the cost to the Rams is (maybe they can work out a deal and send them a later round pick)

And the Rams really cannot afford to trade Ramsey - it would be worse for the cap - not better.

But yes, teams like the Steelers, Saints, Eagles will be trying to get under the cap. That to me doesn't mean older players like Villanueva if released but maybe the other OL from the Steelers -fMatt Feiler - but he is younger and might be around the $6-7m per year mark.

No old guys in free agency - target anybody in that 27-29 year old range. I am fine keeping Linval and Harris one more year ; they hvae to keep Bulaga - but younger

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Wow, the Saints must have a great capologist. 112 mil in the hole? Is Armstead a FA?
                    He is not a FA - but have thought of him in a trade as would save the Saints some 8m in cap space

Ramcyzk and Lattimore are Free agents - not sure how they will handle that

Saints will be doing some major cap work this offseason. They swung for the fences the last few years with Brees - that payment is coming due this year and probably next year.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

It’s because of Brees. They’ve been kicking the can down the road quite a bit. It’s finally due.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It’s because of Brees. They’ve been kicking the can down the road quite a bit. It’s finally due.
                        Even if his cap hit is 40 mil, they are still 72 mil over the cap. That's unbelieable.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think the Chargers should focus on other Ram players like John JohnsonIII, maybe Austin Blythe, Troy Hill. And they have an RFA - Derius Williams - they are going to tender - maybe make a run at him - depending on what the the cost to the Rams is (maybe they can work out a deal and send them a later round pick)

And the Rams really cannot afford to trade Ramsey - it would be worse for the cap - not better.

But yes, teams like the Steelers, Saints, Eagles will be trying to get under the cap. That to me doesn't mean older players like Villanueva if released but maybe the other OL from the Steelers -fMatt Feiler - but he is younger and might be around the $6-7m per year mark.

No old guys in free agency - target anybody in that 27-29 year old range. I am fine keeping Linval and Harris one more year ; they hvae to keep Bulaga - but younger
                          I dont see how it could be worse for their cap...in a trade, we take the salary, right? Im no capologisr, but I thought thats how it worked...they arent cutting/releasing him...

Those other promising DBs on their roster is why I believe they would be willing to entertain such a move, giving them much needed cap relief, and much needed picks to boot. But I am also intriqued by those guys...
                          Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X