• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    Popper is very interested in the available FA OL. I’ll post the full article later.
    Already picked out my favorites --
    staying away from the tackles as I think Villanueva and Trent Williams are too old
    Focusing more on IOL - -so that would be Feliciano, Good, Feiler, WArford or Blythe perhaps

DBs:
    I like JJ3 of course unless the dollars are crazy and possibly Darby or Hill to replace Casey Hayward and Rashawn Jenkins

But Popper was sending a message where he thinks the Chargers need to improve

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My thing with Casey Hayward - whether he is healthy or not - he is not getting younger. In the coaches thread when bringing up analytics - this is one thing I would have analyzed - basically the age of player by position and even if using PFF data or a metric - where do they start to slow down. Like an OT like Whitworth can be effective at 38 where a CB like Hayward at 32 is done. Jason from OTC has data overall of performance of teams by average age of player. I would want that data at the position level.

The data is out there. Now of course improved conditioning, training, etc can create one-offs - but I think Telesco held on to both Mebane and Pouncey a year too long and I don't think he should with Casey Hayward. When you look at the AFCW with KC, Oakland and the Raiders - the Chargers need more speed at CB.
      Yep...CB a big PON...grab one in draft and sign a solid FA...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Popper is very interested in the available FA OL. I’ll post the full article later.
        Feiler, Good seem most likely, due to price and position fit at ORT + OLG, although these are Power/Gap types..
        Along with Warford due to connection with JLombardi.

Thuney is my fav due to perfect position and scheme fit (ZBS), albeit damn expensive.
        This guy is so sound he would change the complexion of the whole unit,
        And we need talent up front.
        He's done in NE.
        BB only brought him back in 2020 in an attempt to get TB12 to stay !

Beware of wacky intel this time of year.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Feiler, Good seem most likely, due to price and position fit at ORT + OLG, although these are Power/Gap types..
          Along with Warford due to connection with JLombardi.

Thuney is my fav due to perfect position and scheme fit (ZBS), albeit damn expensive.
          This guy is so sound he would change the complexion of the whole unit,
          And we need talent up front.
          He's done in NE.
          BB only brought him back in 2020 in an attempt to get TB12 to stay !

Beware of wacky intel this time of year.
          And, like I said earlier, Thuney is DURABLE. Never missed a game in FIVE YEARS...

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He is not a FA - but have thought of him in a trade as would save the Saints some 8m in cap space

Ramcyzk and Lattimore are Free agents - not sure how they will handle that

Saints will be doing some major cap work this offseason. They swung for the fences the last few years with Brees - that payment is coming due this year and probably next year.
            biggest no brainer of the offseason if so.... rewrite the wrong of passing on Ryan for Mike.

MW is worth MG3 monies.... maybe $10m/year.

take his $15.6 and pay Ramczyk $14m/year for two years.

an OT will produce (way) more wins for his team than most any WR.

and just for the record, my last two draft darlings both played in the SB.... Wirfs 'n Vea.

trenchmen matter....

5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Popper analyzes all the FA positions of need for the Chargers. Not surprisingly, most of the FAs are OL.
              The Chargers could have as much as $20.2 million in spending space under the 2021 salary cap.

The offseason rolls on.

Last week, we looked into all the major storylines in our Chargers Offseason Handbook — roster needs, salary-cap breakdown, draft picks, pending internal free agents and more.

This week, we will take a deep dive into all the potential external free agents the Chargers could target when the new league year begins on March 17.

There was one major salary-cap development since our Handbook went live last week, so let’s address that before we get to this free-agent list. ESPN reported Sunday that the salary cap is expected to be $180 million or $181 million, which is higher than many around the league anticipated. The cap was always going to drop as a result of COVID-19-related revenue losses. But this would be less of a drop than was initially expected.

The floor — meaning the lowest the cap could possibly be — was set at $175 million in the spring. In our Handbook, we worked off a $176 million projection for all our cap-related calculations. If the cap ends up settling at $181 million, that would give the Chargers — and all other teams, for that matter — more room than projected.

Specifically for the Chargers, an $181 million cap would mean $20.2 million in spending space for the 2021 offseason, according to figures from Over The Cap. That factors in both the net space needed to pay draft picks and the net space needed to fill out the roster to the 51 minimum players.

Keep that number in mind as we move through this list. The Chargers should still start their process by making decisions on their internal pending free agents — namely tight end Hunter Henry, cornerback Michael Davis and safety Rayshawn Jenkins. Some of that space will be used to re-sign players. But they should have some room left over to use on the open market, especially if the cap ends up at $180 million or $181 million.

Here are 41 external free agents the Chargers could target. Each player’s age is in parentheses.

LT Alejandro Villanueva, Steelers (32)
              The Chargers went down the over-30-tackle path last offseason when they signed Bryan Bulaga. Year 1 of that marriage did not go well. Bulaga played less than 40 percent of offensive snaps in 2020. So I would be surprised if the Chargers took another chance on an older tackle opposite Bulaga, who will be on the roster next season. Still, Villanueva is a younger 32. He did not enter the league until he was 26. He has only played six NFL seasons. He made the Pro Bowl in 2017 and 2018 and has been very durable. Villanueva has played at least 97 percent of snaps in all five of his seasons as a full-time starter. Worth a look, for sure.

LT Cam Robinson, Jaguars (25)
              Robinson should have a solid market as a 25-year-old starting left tackle. But I do not see him as much of an upgrade over Sam Tevi, who should be much cheaper. I would pass.

LT Trent Williams, 49ers (32)
              Williams was one of the best left tackles in football last year after joining the 49ers via trade from Washington. I think he will re-sign with San Francisco. If not, the Chargers should inquire.

OT Jermaine Eluemunor, Patriots (26)
              Eluemunor started eight games last season for New England, playing both left and right tackle. He missed some time with an ankle injury but was solid in pass protection. He can also play guard.

RT Taylor Moton, Panthers (26)
              Moton was among the best right tackles in the NFL last season. Bulaga will be starting at right tackle for the Chargers next season, meaning Moton would have to move to the left side. He has only played 105 snaps at left tackle in his career, so this might not make the most sense.

RT Daryl Williams, Bills (28)
              Like Moton, Wiliams has mostly been a right tackle in his career. But he played all over the line in his final season with the Panthers in 2019, spending time at left tackle and right tackle as well as at both guard spots. He is coming off a really good season as the Bills’ starting right tackle and should have a solid market.

RG Brandon Scherff, Washington (29)
              Scherff, who played on the franchise tag this season, has been one of the best guards in the league for quite some time. Washington should re-sign him. If not, he should be on the Chargers’ radar — though he will command a massive contract and could be out of their price range.

LG Joe Thuney, Patriots (28)
              Thuney and Scherff are on similar arcs. They both played last season on the franchise tag. Scherff is an elite guard. Thuney is one rung below him but is still a very good player. He will likely re-sign with New England.

G/T Matt Feiler, Steelers (28)
              Feiler played both tackle and guard during his five seasons with Pittsburgh. He started 10 games at right tackle in 2018, then all 16 games at right tackle in 2019. He then moved to left guard for 2020. He has been solid at both spots. General manager Tom Telesco has talked about adding more talent up front. Feiler is a bona fide NFL player who could provide the Chargers with versatility.

G Larry Warford, N/A (29)
              Warford was cut by the Saints in the summer and then opted out of the 2020 season because of COVID-19 concerns. But he spent three seasons in New Orleans with new Chargers offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi from 2017 to 2019. That connection is important. And Warford was a quality player with the Saints.

RG Jon Feliciano, Bills (28)
              The Chargers could be looking for two starting guards this offseason, if they decide to cut right guard Trai Turner, a move that would save them $11.5 million in space with no dead money charge. Turner and left guard Forrest Lamp, who is a pending free agent, were both below-replacement-level players in 2020. If the Chargers can just find serviceable, average players at those two spots, they will have made considerable upgrades. A number of players on this list fit that mold. That includes Feliciano, who started 33 games for the Bills in 2019 and 2020. Some others …

G/T Germain Ifedi, Bears (26)
              Ifedi has played both right tackle and right guard in his career, including last season for the Bears. He has mostly been a middling player and would not qualify as a splash signing. But he had the best season of his career last year, according to Pro Football Focus.

G/T Denzelle Good, Raiders (29)
              Good played both right tackle and left guard for the Raiders last season. His versatility is noteworthy. QB Derek Carr called Good the “MVP” of the Raiders in early November.

LG Chris Reed, Panthers (28)
              Reed got his first chance as a starter last season, starting 14 games at left guard for the Panthers. He did not miss a snap after taking over the job in Week 3.

RG John Miller, Panthers (27)
              Miller started opposite Reed for Carolina. He has started 74 games in his career, all at right guard. He is more consistent in pass protection.

G Oday Aboushi, Lions (29)
              Aboushi has played for five teams in his career, including the past two seasons with the Lions. He started games at left and right guard last year but spent most of his time on the right side, where he made seven of his eight starts.

LG Ike Boettger, Bills (26)
              Boettger, an undrafted free agent out of Iowa in 2018, made the first seven NFL starts last season for Buffalo after Cody Ford went down with an injury. He does not have a ton of experience but showed some promise over the final half of the season.

LG Mike Iupati, Seahawks (33)
              A four-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro, Iupati has put together a really good career. But he has dealt with injuries in recent seasons and only played in 47 percent of Seattle’s snaps last season. I would stay away.

RG Alex Redmond, Bengals (26)
              Redmond lost his starting job during the season when Cincinnati claimed Quinton Spain off waivers from the Bills. So that is not exactly encouraging. But PFF graded him significantly higher than both Turner and Lamp. The Chargers do not need a Pro Bowl-level guard to get better. Again, they would benefit from simply adding replacement-level talent. At worst, Redmond could provide depth.

LG Kelechi Osemele, Chiefs (31)
              Osemele tore tendons in both his knees and missed most of 2020. But he was playing well for the Chiefs early in the season. The injury is a concern, though. I do not think the Chargers will consider him.

C Ethan Pocic, Seahawks (25)
              I think the Chargers will re-sign Dan Feeney, who started all 16 games at center for the Chargers last season. That was Feeney’s first consistent playing time at the position, and the Chargers hope he will develop more consistency as he gets more playing time at center. Personally, I think they should, at the very minimum, be looking for competition at center via the draft and free agency. Pocic is young. He started 14 games at center for Seattle last season, allowing two sacks and 18 total pressures, according to PFF.

C Corey Linsley, Packers (29)
              I would be shocked if Green Bay lets Linsley walk, similar to how I feel about Scherff and Thuney. Linsley was one of best centers in football last year. Maybe the best.

C David Andrews, Patriots (28)
              Andrews won two Super Bowls as Tom Brady’s starting center. If he hits the open market, which is unlikely, the Chargers should be very interested.

C Austin Blythe, Rams (28)
              Blythe has played center and both guard spots during his four seasons with the Rams, so he could fit in a number of places with the Chargers. But he is probably returning to their crosstown rival.

C Alex Mack, Falcons (35)
              Mack was one of the better centers in the league for a decade. He made six Pro Bowls and was named second-team All-Pro three times from 2010 to 2020. Mack is older. But the Chargers had success when they pounced on Mike Pouncey, an aging player, in 2017. Mack also was born in Los Angeles and attended high school in Santa Barbara.

C Ted Karras, Dolphins (27)
              After spending his first four seasons with the Patriots, Karras signed a one-year deal with the Dolphins last offseason and was solid in 16 starts. But the Miami Herald recently reported that Miami is looking to re-sign Karras. So he will likely be off the table.

C Austin Reiter, Chiefs (29)
              Reiter took over as the Chiefs’ full-time starting center in 2019 and won a Super Bowl that season. He started 12 regular-season games for Kansas City in 2020 and all three playoff games, including Sunday’s Super Bowl. He has been a very consistent pass blocker, which would be a crucial upgrade for the Chargers.

OLB Leonard Floyd, Rams (28)
              Floyd is going to have a sizable market, and the Chargers might be priced out. But Floyd had his best season as a pro in 2020 with Brandon Staley as his defensive coordinator with the Rams. That cannot be overlooked. If the Chargers decide to let Melvin Ingram walk, they will need another starting outside linebacker opposite Uchenna Nwosu. The draft might make more sense. Floyd would be a great option if they have space.

OLB Haason Reddick, Cardinals (26)
              Reddick had a breakout season for Arizona in 2020 with 12.5 sacks. He ranked fifth in the league in PFF’s pass-rushing efficiency metric. (Joey Bosa was first.) He would be a fun addition in Staley’s scheme as an outside linebacker. But he is going to cost some cap space. Reddick could end up in the $10 million to $11 million range in average annual value. Again, the draft might make sense to fill this spot because of the cheaper contracts. But personally, I’d rather spend $10 million per year on Reddick than $10 million per year on a 31-year-old Ingram.

OLB Jeremiah Attaochu, Broncos (28)
              Chargers fans, of course, are familiar with Attaochu, whom Telesaco drafted in the second round in 2014. At that point, the Chargers were still running a 3-4 scheme under defensive coordinator John Pagano. Once they switched to a 4-3 under Gus Bradley in 2017, Attaochu did not really fit anymore. Telesco let him walk once his rookie deal was up after that season. But now the Chargers are back to a 3-4, and Attaochu played some decent football the last two seasons in Vic Fangio’s scheme in Denver. That happens to be the same scheme Staley runs. Attaochu could be a logical depth addition if the Chargers go the draft route to find a starting outside linebacker.

CB Troy Hill, Rams (29)
              If the Chargers decide to keep Casey Hayward, then they should not be spending much space on any free-agent corners. The draft would make more sense. Assuming they re-sign Michael Davis, the Chargers would have a returning trio of Hayward, Davis and Chris Harris. But the Chargers can save $9.75 million in space if they cut Hayward. In that case, they could look to free agency for a third corner to play with Harris and Davis. Hill is familiar with Staley’s scheme from their time together with the Rams in 2020. But right now, I think Hayward returns.

CB Ronald Darby, Washington (27)
              Darby signed a one-year prove-it deal with Washington last offseason and played well in 16 starts. I thought the Chargers should have considered taking a flier on him last offseason. They opted instead to sign Harris. I think Darby makes sense again, though he will cost a bit more because of his resurgent season.

CB Jason Verrett, 49ers (29)
              Verrett still has the respect of the Chargers, and they, like everyone else in football, were ecstatic to see him have the kind of bounce-back year he did in 2020 after all the injuries he endured early in his career. But I don’t see these two sides reuniting.

CB Patrick Peterson, Cardinals (31)
              I am terribly afraid of corners over age 30. Peterson has been an explosive, sensational player in his Cardinals career. I have a ton of respect for the career he’s had. But I would stay away.

CB Xavier Rhodes, Colts (30)
              Rhodes, like Darby, signed a one-year prove-it deal with the Colts last offseason and, like Darby, made himself some money with a strong year. Rhodes was better than Darby. But he turns 31 in June. And, as I said, I would shy away from aging corners.

CB Shaquill Griffin, Seahawks (25)
              Griffin is young, which is a bonus. He had some inconsistencies in Seattle, but his room for development is a reason to be interested. The Chargers should only inquire if they move on from Hayward. Griffin could end up in the $10 million AAV range.

CB William Jackson III, Bengals (28)
              The Bengals have plenty of cap space, and Jackson is one of their star players. I doubt he makes it to free agency. But he is a really good player, so he makes this list.

CB Gareon Conley, Texans (26)
              Conley is a former first-round pick who missed all of last season with an injury. Houston traded a third-round pick to the Raiders for him in October 2019. Conley would be interesting as a flier signing if the Chargers kept Hayward. Conley would be the fourth corner in that scenario.

FS John Johnson III, Rams (26)
              Johnson played at an All-Pro level this past season under Staley. The organization likes Rayshawn Jenkins a lot. But now there is a new head coach giving input. And Staley could urge the front office to spend their space on Johnson instead of Jenkins, who is also a pending unrestricted free agent. Johnson would cost more, but at the moment, he is a better player.

ILB Todd Davis, Vikings (28)
              The Chargers are set at inside linebacker at the top of their depth chart with Kenneth Murray and Drue Tranquill. I think they will re-sign Denzel Perryman for depth. But Davis could still make a lot of sense as an additional depth piece and special-teamer. They need more experience on special teams, and Davis has played a lot of special teams in his career, including last season in Minnesota. He also spent a year in Fangio’s scheme in 2019 when Staley was the outside linebackers coach in Denver.

TE Gerald Everett, Rams (26)
              I think the Chargers will re-sign Hunter Henry. But if they don’t, Everett would be a cheaper option. If they sign Everett, the Chargers would need to look to the draft for an in-line blocking tight end. Everett would have a tough time carrying that load the way Henry did. Henry is one of the better blocking tight ends in the NFL.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

re: safety.... keeping Watkins, Adderly and Derwin, and.... adding Hamsah and Deablo in the draft.... we need to add some truth & consequence to our secondary.

JuJu Smith (3 years/$40m) is a FA priority.... do not mess around w/our soph QB.... MW is no guarantee to see the field, and we've already got the speedsters ready post ps.... Smith is a KA hedge and a solid re: moving the chains for JH (first and) 10.

keeping Hunter (3 years/$31m), SupaMel (one year/$11m), Mike D. ($8m/year for two years), Denzel ($6m/year for two years).... keeping Casey too @CB.

signing SCB Brian Poole ($4m/year for two years), CB Troy Hill ($7m/year for two years), OC Alex Mack ($4m/year for two years), and.... thinkin' 'bout TE Jared Cook ($4m/year for two years)

would trade Feeney if we can.... not signing Tyrell, nor am eye retaining the likes of Chris Harris, Trai Turner, Rayshawn, Addae nor Alohi Gilman.
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

CB Troy Hill, Rams (29)
                  If the Chargers decide to keep Casey Hayward, then they should not be spending much space on any free-agent corners. The draft would make more sense. Assuming they re-sign Michael Davis, the Chargers would have a returning trio of Hayward, Davis and Chris Harris. But the Chargers can save $9.75 million in space if they cut Hayward. In that case, they could look to free agency for a third corner to play with Harris and Davis. Hill is familiar with Staley’s scheme from their time together with the Rams in 2020. But right now, I think Hayward returns.
                  eye think Hayward returns as well, but would gladly replace Harris @slot CB w/a boundary CB Troy Hill, and while eye bring in Brian Poole to spell Chris Harris/Desmond King @nickel.

C Alex Mack, Falcons (35)
                  Mack was one of the better centers in the league for a decade. He made six Pro Bowls and was named second-team All-Pro three times from 2010 to 2020. Mack is older. But the Chargers had success when they pounced on Mike Pouncey, an aging player, in 2017. Mack also was born in Los Angeles and attended high school in Santa Barbara.
                  cheaper than Thuney or Linsley, and prolly close to or just as good, and while my draft pick waits and learns for a year or two.

RG John Miller, Panthers (27)
                  Miller started opposite Reed for Carolina. He has started 74 games in his career, all at right guard. He is more consistent in pass protection.
                  this guy spells Trai Turner @RG and plays inbetween Mack and Bulaga, and while Lamp plays alongside Ramczyk to finish out the revamped Oline.... keepin' tackles Sam 'n Pips, and draftin' OG Trey Smith and OC Josh Myers to eventually replace the vets.

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Resign Attaochu and Verrett haha
                    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

And, like I said earlier, Thuney is DURABLE. Never missed a game in FIVE YEARS...
                      Great go ahead and Jinx him for us if we sign him. LOL!
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        re: safety.... keeping Watkins, Adderly and Derwin, and.... adding Hamsah and Deablo in the draft.... we need to add some truth & consequence to our secondary.

JuJu Smith (3 years/$40m) is a FA priority.... do not mess around w/our soph QB.... MW is no guarantee to see the field, and we've already got the speedsters ready post ps.... Smith is a KA hedge and a solid re: moving the chains for JH (first and) 10.

keeping Hunter (3 years/$31m), SupaMel (one year/$11m), Mike D. ($8m/year for two years), Denzel ($6m/year for two years).... keeping Casey too @CB.

signing SCB Brian Poole ($4m/year for two years), CB Troy Hill ($7m/year for two years), OC Alex Mack ($4m/year for two years), and.... thinkin' 'bout TE Jared Cook ($4m/year for two years)

would trade Feeney if we can.... not signing Tyrell, nor am eye retaining the likes of Chris Harris, Trai Turner, Rayshawn, Addae nor Alohi Gilman.
                        I think your money projections are low. Seen JuJus projection at minimum 16 mil per season. Is he taking a So Cal discount?

Just no to Mel. He isn't worth 11 mil and taking that ful cap hit. C-Ya Mel, that's a Rap.

Doubt Watkins stays as he was a late signing as it was. I like the two you mentioned but Watkins likely isn't staying.

Also really doubt Staley wants Chris Harris gone.

Thinking HH gets four years.... And why not? Lower cap hit next season.

Thinking Davis will get more than 8 mil per but hope it's only 8 mil. Think he gets at least 10 mil.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-11-2021, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think your money projections are low. Seen JuJus projection at minimum 16 mil per season. Is he taking a So Cal discount?
                          Just no to Mel. He isn't worth 11 mil and taking that ful cap hit. C-Ya Mel, that's a Rap.
                          Doubt Watkins stays as he was a late signing as it was. I like the two you mentioned but Watkins likely isn't staying.
                          Also really doubt Staley wants Chris Harris gone.
                          Thinking HH gets four years.... And why not? Lower cap hit next season.
                          Thinking Davis will get more than 8 mil per but hope it's only 8 mil.
                          JuJu has been sucking on too many JuJubees and has a sugar high if he thinks the chargers are gonna spend $16 mil next year on him! These players are gonna have a real letdown when there's gonna be all these free agents next year plus the draft.

:stirpot:
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X