• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AKFlyFisher
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Joel Klatt was on the cowherd show today when cowherd mocked CH to us.
    Klatt called it an over draft and that mid20s is where CD should go.

Klatt is more of a college football guy imo which depending on how you look at it, is a pro or con when ranking guys.
    I think Klatt also gave Justin Herbert a 2nd round grade. His opinion has proven more wrong than McShay and Kiper. However, I personally don't think CD should have a first round grade and I agree with him on this. For that reason, he looks like the perfect Charger and he will wash out like Fluker and others have.

I think the Chargers have backed themselves into a corner a bit, and so they will be drafting for need rather than BPA. Now, afterwards Telesco will say "the were following the board" but this is also the same GM who has consistently failed to draft NFL starters in the last 7 drafts, exemplified by Teo, Chris Watt, Ryan Carrethers, Marion Grice, Craig Mager, Trey Pipkins, Kyle Emanuel, Max Tuerk, Joshua Perry, Donovan Clark. Drafting OL has been absolutely dreadful under Telesco. Therefore, I expect Telesco to continue what he has done: over draft and draft based on character rather than talent.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

I think to some extent players are waiting until after the draft to go to a team that didnt get choice number one in the form of a rookie. Maybe Sherman. Some of the other CBs. OTs as well. They may be worth more after the draft.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
        After Slater I’d go;
        Darrisaw
        Jenkins
        Little
        Brown
        Cosmi
        Radunz
        Eichenberg

Shame I can’t put AVT and his tiny lil arms on my list anymore.
        I guess we'll have to call him, ahem, AVT-Rex...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
          I think to some extent players are waiting until after the draft to go to a team that didnt get choice number one in the form of a rookie. Maybe Sherman. Some of the other CBs. OTs as well. They may be worth more after the draft.
          I agree. Teams will want to see what areas they need depth post draft and the free agents players will want to see what teams might present the best opportunity for money/playing time.
          Granted, if the Chargers can get OT and CB now -- thats good too.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

This is a strange season, so with a lot of guys who are "stuck in the middle" group of FA, they may be able to get the salaries up some. If most teams still have big holes to fill, and no one is signing, then maybe the money will be there later. That is not usually the case, but this is not the usual season.

FA this season the top guys didn't seem to get hurt by the potential salary cap issues at all. The lower/middle tier guys are getting a lot less. I think a lot of FA are just not in a hurry to sign a contract if teams throw money at them. A guy like Sherman is not going to want to go to a team, only to see them draft a 1st round guy to take his place. I think a lot of players are just going to wait and reevaluate the options out thereafter the draft, but I don't think the money is necessarily there.

Plus, with all the contract the NFL just signed, maybe teams will be less scared about longer commitments to the middle tier guys if they just wait to see the mid-offseason adjustment to the cap.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              This is a strange season, so with a lot of guys who are "stuck in the middle" group of FA, they may be able to get the salaries up some. If most teams still have big holes to fill, and no one is signing, then maybe the money will be there later. That is not usually the case, but this is not the usual season.

FA this season the top guys didn't seem to get hurt by the potential salary cap issues at all. The lower/middle tier guys are getting a lot less. I think a lot of FA are just not in a hurry to sign a contract if teams throw money at them. A guy like Sherman is not going to want to go to a team, only to see them draft a 1st round guy to take his place. I think a lot of players are just going to wait and reevaluate the options out thereafter the draft, but I don't think the money is necessarily there.

Plus, with all the contract the NFL just signed, maybe teams will be less scared about longer commitments to the middle tier guys if they just wait to see the mid-offseason adjustment to the cap.
              A lot of teams just don't have the money anymore. Teams like the Saints, Rams, Eagles, Steelers - they have had to make cuts just to 1) get under the cap 2) have enough for the rookie pool and 3) free agency. Not sure if some of these teams have any more "options" to really create cap space.

The Chargers truly have at least $10m if not closer to $12m I think to spend and still be able to pay rookies and the slush fund for the season.

So you are right about Sherman - he might wait as he knows a team like the Chargers is probably going CB inR1. Granted, he might want to see what teams are best suited to win.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

I think we'll see a lot of one-year deals like Feeney (below). Frankly, I'm kind of surprised such a low-ranked dude like Feeney even got a deal...but then, this is the Jets...maybe they're having trouble attracting good talent and are forced to scrape the bottom of the FA barrel...

feeney.JPG

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Hotter than hell, Georgia
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                  Isn't Darrisaw's pro day tommorrow? I guess we will see about this "work ethic"...I'll keep an open mind, but I have seen the tape myself. The "narrative" about Darrisaw is not wrong. Doesn't mean he can't be successful in the NFL...but it is a fair question mark to be recognized....which is why I personally put him with the rest of the second tier tackles...and why I think you don't pass on Blue chip prospects at 13, just so you can say you picked a first round LT. Surtain, Parsons, Pitts, Slater, Chase, Farley, Collins, Koramoah...you don't pass on these guys for a second tier tackle...these guys have star potential.

Look...we take Darrisaw at 13, I won't be exactly pissed...I'll just have to have faith that we feel comfortable putting him in that oline room with some savvy vets to rub off on him...but I honestly think, regardless of my liking of olineman like Little, AVT, and Slater, that TT won't be picking an olineman in the first round...not with the impact defenders and offensive skill players that will likely be there at 13...just doesn't fit his history. If Slater was there, but you had Parsons or one of the corners including Horn, or Koramoah, or Pitts, or Waddle...I think he would pass on the olineman for any one of those guys...and probably others too. Just my take on TT. But we'll see...
                  Nothing wrong with Darrisaw’s work ethic. I don’t know what tape your watching but I’ve probably seen every play of his career. The guy is a hard worker who has gotten better every year. Good teammate, good in position room. Not heard anyone in Hokie program ever say anything but positives about him. He’s a solid guy.

Comment

• MagicMamba88
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I think we'll see a lot of one-year deals like Feeney (below). Frankly, I'm kind of surprised such a low-ranked dude like Feeney even got a deal...but then, this is the Jets...maybe they're having trouble attracting good talent and are forced to scrape the bottom of the FA barrel...

feeney.JPG
                      Feeney got vet backup money. I don't think it is that much of a surprise. The Jets are gambling that he might be able to fix him.

But just because they signed him, doesn't mean he has made the team. I think he will, but he has an uphill battle to save his career at this point.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Here's a recap of FA's we've signed lately. A lot of 1-year deals...Facyson and St. Louis are also both 1-year contracts...

FA's.JPG

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transact...eles-chargers/

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Feeney got vet backup money. I don't think it is that much of a surprise. The Jets are gambling that he might be able to fix him.

But just because they signed him, doesn't mean he has made the team. I think he will, but he has an uphill battle to save his career at this point.
                          Feeney only played at a serviceable level when he had Pouncey (pre-hip issue) nearby.

At NYJ he will have Becton or Sewell (so I thought) nearby.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X