• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

The last time we picked a Corner in Rd 1, he was a complete bust yet a portion of this board wants to draft a corner who just had back surgery. Given there are 4 or 5 starter -ready LTs max in this draft and 8+ corners ... lets get that LT at 13 (Slater or Darrisaw will be there) and start working on the secondary later in the draft.

I think all of those top LTs will be gone by 47. They almost always are. We don’t even have Sam Fucking Tevi on the roster anymore.

I don’t buy the theory that a great cover corner has no value in Staley’s magic defense. I agree Staley designs coverages to minimize reliance on super-human cover skills but saying a top cover corner isn’t a value just makes no sense. Sticky man cover corners will always be in style. Staley is smart enough to know how to use one. Or two.
    Truth. A great cover cover has value in any defense.
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

Just Do It. No monkeying around with this notion that the Chargers LT day one, is sitting there all nice and pretty with the 13th pick or the Broncos would be willing trade partners to swap 1st's for Chargers 3rd & 5th Picks to move back three spots. Then the prospect still has to prove he's capable next level. Assume that will take some time and in time he's gonna wanna be paid just as much if not more than OBJ.

I would seriously consider trading with the Ravens and compensating them the 13th pick overall, if a long term agreement can be reached (w/OBJ) beneficial to both sides. This is the Chargers chance to solve the #1 need with one of the very best LT's already for a song. Look what the Texans traded for Tunsil. IMO OBJ is better, younger and more motivated to be the Chargers answer @ LT.
      The price tag to both get Orlando Brown Jr plus paying him - I think just roll the film - and see what the prospects this year compare to Brown Jr. I might just take Darrisaw at 13 and get my CB in R2 and call it good

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Just Do It. No monkeying around with this notion that the Chargers LT day one, is sitting there all nice and pretty with the 13th pick or the Broncos would be willing trade partners to swap 1st's for Chargers 3rd & 5th Picks to move back three spots. Then the prospect still has to prove he's capable next level. Assume that will take some time and in time he's gonna wanna be paid just as much if not more than OBJ.

I would seriously consider trading with the Ravens and compensating them the 13th pick overall, if a long term agreement can be reached (w/OBJ) beneficial to both sides. This is the Chargers chance to solve the #1 need with one of the very best LT's already for a song. Look what the Texans traded for Tunsil. IMO OBJ is better, younger and more motivated to be the Chargers answer @ LT.
        I wouldnt be offering that 5th anyways.

Im not worried, we will get a LT. There are plenty in round 1 to get even if we sit still. It may be OT #3 and not Sewell or Slater but that guy will be here for years. I dont want to offer the #13. If it were that easy, we would have done it already so im guessing us and nobody else wants to offer a first round pick either.

It dont matter if our rookie LT will get paid more than OBJ in 5 years, the cap will be a lot higher then as well. Just like it will be for Herbert when he gets his 5 year 200 - 230 mil deal.
        Ill give the Ravens a 3rd but id rather just draft our LT. This is one of the better classes for OT in a long time.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I wouldnt be offering that 5th anyways.

Im not worried, we will get a LT. There are plenty in round 1 to get even if we sit still. It may be OT #3 and not Sewell or Slater but that guy will be here for years. I dont want to offer the #13. If it were that easy, we would have done it already so im guessing us and nobody else wants to offer a first round pick either.

It dont matter if our rookie LT will get paid more than OBJ in 5 years, the cap will be a lot higher then as well. Just like it will be for Herbert when he gets his 5 year 200 - 230 mil deal.
          Ill give the Ravens a 3rd but id rather just draft our LT. This is one of the better classes for OT in a long time.
          I’m sure there have been discussions. Still believe MW could be a piece. No hurry, could go down when Chargers are on the clock, see if there tackle is there or not? Sewell and Slater gone, Philly takes Darrisaw #12 then what?

Telesco trades MW along with #13 for OBJ and Ravens first round pick #27. Roughly 470 points or = to 2nd rd. Pick. To me this would be a better option than rolling AVT out there and money better spent than MW.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

I’m sure there have been discussions. Still believe MW could be a piece. No hurry, could go down when Chargers are on the clock, see if there tackle is there or not? Sewell and Slater gone, Philly takes Darrisaw #12 then what?

Telesco trades MW along with #13 for OBJ and Ravens first round pick #27. Roughly 470 points or = to 2nd rd. Pick. To me this would be a better option than rolling AVT out there and money better spent than MW.
            You do not trade for Orlando Brown ON THE CLOCK - unless you have a wink wink contract deal done already. And my guess the RAvens would need the same for Mike Williams since his contract is 15.7m .

If the Chargers trade for Zeus II - it would have to be before the draft. Plus the RAvens do not need Mike Williams anymore - they just signed Watkins.

As for if all three OTs are gone - thats easy, it means Horn or Surtain are there so you just take CB and find your OT in Round 2. There are good OTs that would be available in R2.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

As for if all three OTs are gone - thats easy, it means Horn or Surtain are there so you just take CB and find your OT in Round 2. There are good OTs that would be available in R2.
              IMO, it is the smartest thing to do.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

I dont believe MW was any part of those discussions asside from Balt maybe mentioning his name and Telesco saying No!

Popper has said many times that the staff really likes MW and does NOT want to trade him after people have asked in his Live Youtube discussions. Staley it was revealed recently said he really likes him as well.

But i think we will have one of Sewell, Slater and Darrisaw on the board. 4-5 QBs, Pitts, the WRs, Parsons, Paye, a CB or two....thats 11 or 12 right there.
                Philly has a first rounder at LT from 2 years ago and Lane Johnson at RT who is signed thru 2028 so he isnt going anywhere. So maybe they take Slater or Darrisaw as they need OGs but could also take AVT. Slater and AVT fit better as OGs. Phily also can upgrade LB with Parsons, or DL with Barmore or Paye, or Rousseau...whoever they like. They are getting old on the DL.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

IMO, it is the smartest thing to do.
                  Personally, I can only hope that Telesco has to choose between Slater and Horn or Surtain. Meaning he has an option for OT or CB. I will be happy if one of those three players are there at 13. It just seems like Horn or Surtain is a better prospect than say Darrisaw at 13. But if the coaches think Darrisaw can do the job at 13 - so be it.

I would rather take talent and let the board fall where it may in Round 2 than Telesco reach in Round 1 for a tackle and than have to do the same in Round 2. Let the board play out.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Personally, I can only hope that Telesco has to choose between Slater and Horn or Surtain. Meaning he has an option for OT or CB. I will be happy if one of those three players are there at 13. It just seems like Horn or Surtain is a better prospect than say Darrisaw at 13. But if the coaches think Darrisaw can do the job at 13 - so be it.

I would rather take talent and let the board fall where it may in Round 2 than Telesco reach in Round 1 for a tackle and than have to do the same in Round 2. Let the board play out.
                    Or...we move down to let some other team burn their draft capital to draft their dream player at #13.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Charge!
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

I agree, but Darishaw instead of Slater..... Slater is most likely going to be a great OG in NFL..... his arms are too short to be an OT especially LT...... I heard a lifelong expert OL coach on Siruis NFL radio talking about the OT's..... he said some people have Stalter over hyped because he blocked Young, but they fail to tell you Slater only ONLY had young rushing his side 3 times........ that is not enough to say he dominated a great pass rusher..... and college OT's with short arms usually end up being OG's in NFL....

13 is too high to draft an OG..... Darisaw is bigger, longer arms and better pass rusher(which is mot important skill for a LT)..... Slater is more of a brawler and run blocker..... I dont want Chargers to draft anyone at 13 who is debatable as to what position they play..... no "tweeters" either....we need a starter at 13.....at an important position.... like LT, CB, or pass rusher.....

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree, but Darishaw instead of Slater..... Slater is most likely going to be a great OG in NFL..... his arms are too short to be an OT especially LT...... I heard a lifelong expert OL coach on Siruis NFL radio talking about the OT's..... he said some people have Stalter over hyped because he blocked Young, but they fail to tell you Slater only ONLY had young rushing his side 3 times........ that is not enough to say he dominated a great pass rusher..... and college OT's with short arms usually end up being OG's in NFL....

13 is too high to draft an OG..... Darisaw is bigger, longer arms and better pass rusher(which is mot important skill for a LT)..... Slater is more of a brawler and run blocker..... I dont want Chargers to draft anyone at 13 who is debatable as to what position they play..... no "tweeters" either....we need a starter at 13.....at an important position.... like LT, CB, or pass rusher.....
                        I will agree with you there. If Darrisaw can be a starting LEFT tackle in the NFL based on scouts, Telesco and the coaches - I am fine with the pick. I guess when I say it seems Darrisaw might be rated lower - again, that is just off mock drafts. And from what I can tell the last couple years, they have been wrong more than right. Who knows what goes on in those war rooms and how players are ranked. I don't care who the pick is - just as long as the right vetting process took place, the coaches feel the player can fit, and all the boxes are checked. As if Telesco gets the pick right - it doesn't matter. And yes, no tweeners. I think thats why AVT is probably out. The Chargers need LT and CB as pretty high priorites so my hope is they can get the proper value (top 10 player on their board) - that fills a need

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Or...we move down to let some other team burn their draft capital to draft their dream player at #13.
                          I would truly be okay with that. For those that want to use draft capital for Sewell or take the pick at 13 and use draft capital to move back to the end of R1 - I am the opposite - I want MORE picks in 3 and 4; possibly Round 2 - not less.

To me, this is the year to build up the depth on the roster. 5 picks in the 118 picks. 7 picks through the first pick of Rd 6 - maximize the hell out of those picks. Besides need at LT and CB, add your TE, IDL, another IOL, maybe another CB or bring in a Safety. Hell a RB. Its a good year for a bridge because they do have older vets like Joseph, Harris and Cook with contracts through 2021 but this would allow the rookies to learn and be more ready to play next year.

Comment

Working...
                          X