• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

And the "I like shiny new toys" guys got us Jerry Tillery, Nasir Adderly, and Trey Pipkins...

Who's your 9th best OT... and are you happy with that guarding the franchise...?
    1st round pick in the top 13. has to be an impact player for years. You’re talking about 2nd and 3rd rounders and late first. “Shiny new toys” got us Bosa, Herbert, MW too. All important players and 2 of them critical. If there’s an LT you love grab him. But if there’s a run on OL guys and better players at other positions, don’t settle.

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

Can we stop acting like the OL guys are never satisfied. This OL was the WORST in the NFL last year. Yeah, we spent in FA, but it had by far the worst hole in the roster. We were 9th in opponents passing yards per play last year and 6th in 2009. Also, we still have no LT, the most important position on the line and the RT position is probably open next year. It's in much the same position as the CB room. We have an outside corner and a slot guy who is probably going to be gone after next year. LT is just a more important position than CB. We have a young QB and protecting him is the single most important thing this franchise can do. Keeping Herbert from becoming injured or jumpy like David Carr and Andrew Luck is the key for the next decade plus. Even if it wasn't, it's far easier to draft a CB in the future than a LT. And if that weren't the case, it's easier to sign a CB in FA than a LT. LTs are so valuable it's incredibly hard to get one.

The Jaguars franchise tagged Cam Robinson. That's all you need to know about how hard it is to find a good one. You'll overpay just to keep a below average but serviceable one.
      With TT’s record picking OL, don’t waste this pick if the top 2 guys are gone. We just signed 5th rounder and UDFA to big money contracts.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

We heavily invested in OL in FA last year as well. It wasn’t enough.
        Edit: I should say that I understand the flip side of the argument since I would prefer Surtain or Horn at 13 than Darrisaw or Cosmi. But I know why Boltnut prefers a LT in the first round.
        Wrong guys obviously. The Trai Turner for Okung trade starting out smelling like a rose and ended up smelling like dog shit

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

I got Slater/Darrisaw/Cosmi...

Who you got...?

Then i have CB Asante Samuels in the 2nd.
          LB Pete Werner in the 3rd
          OLB Elerson Smith in the 3rd
          Safety Caden Sterns in the 4th....
          Slater at 13. Ideally we trade down in the first if we draft Darrisaw or Cosmi. Though Darrisaw effort inconsistency is scary to me. And Cosmi has issues in pass protection and playing down to competition also.

Comment

• eaterfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

With TT’s record picking OL, don’t waste this pick if the top 2 guys are gone. We just signed 5th rounder and UDFA to big money contracts.
            He has no record. The sample size is like 2 guys taken in the first two rounds in 8 years.

​​​​​

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Wrong guys obviously. The Trai Turner for Okung trade starting out smelling like a rose and ended up smelling like dog shit
              And we could be wrong about this FA class as well. Hopefully not. But that’s why you get additional insurance to protect your young QB so he doesn’t end up like Luck.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

I got Slater/Darrisaw/Cosmi...

Who you got...?

Then i have CB Asante Samuels in the 2nd.
                LB Pete Werner in the 3rd
                OLB Elerson Smith in the 3rd
                Safety Caden Sterns in the 4th....
                If Samuels lasts to pick #47, I can very well see it being #1. Darrisaw & #2 Samuels.

Villanueva as a stop gap for a few years? Teams without a starting LT are not in a good negotiating position.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Surest thing Chargers could do to resolve this starting LT vacancy is to work a deal with the Ravens for Orlando Brown Jr.

a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

1st round pick in the top 13. has to be an impact player for years. You’re talking about 2nd and 3rd rounders and late first. “Shiny new toys” got us Bosa, Herbert, MW too. All important players and 2 of them critical. If there’s an LT you love grab him. But if there’s a run on OL guys and better players at other positions, don’t settle.
                    Herbert and Bosa weren't shiny new toys... they were foundational players at premium positions. The premium positions are QB, OT, and DE. We have QB and and DE... which one are we missing...?

MW was "shiny new car"
                    So was MG3. Neither of those guys lived up to their draft slots. Add in Tillery and Varrett. Derwin was a draft slide pick...

People need to get used to OT's being classified as "impact players". What kind of impact did Chiefs injured OT's have in the Super Bowl...? Doesn't get much more impactful than that.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                      We Are The Storm!
                      • Aug 2018
                      • Send PM

Herbert and Bosa weren't shiny new toys... they were foundational players at premium positions. The premium positions are QB, OT, and DE. We have QB and and DE... which one are we missing...?

MW was "shiny new car"
                      So was MG3. Neither of those guys lived up to their draft slots. Add in Tillery and Varrett. Derwin was a draft slide pick...

People need to get used to OT's being classified as "impact players". What kind of impact did Chiefs injured OT's have in the Super Bowl...? Doesn't get much more impactful than that.
                      THIS^^^^^TT better get us a good LT this draft,period.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

If Samuels lasts to pick #47, I can very well see it being #1. Darrisaw & #2 Samuels.

Villanueva as a stop gap for a few years? Teams without a starting LT are not in a good negotiating position.
                        You have Justin Herbert for the next 12-15 years. How long will Villanueva be around for...? Go get JH's protector for the next 9-12 years... this year.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
                          Surest thing Chargers could do to resolve this starting LT vacancy is to work a deal with the Ravens for Orlando Brown Jr.

a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
                          That’s assuming that OBJ can actually pass protect at LT in our scheme.

Comment

Working...
                          X