• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

You have Justin Herbert for the next 12-15 years. How long will Villanueva be around for...? Go get JH's protector for the next 9-12 years... this year.
    Villanueva is only a stop gap if we get him in FA. Maybe someone to hold the fort down for a year while we get someone like Walker Little up to speed.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
      Surest thing Chargers could do to resolve this starting LT vacancy is to work a deal with the Ravens for Orlando Brown Jr.

a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
      I liked OBJ out of college (I was about the only one here @TPB).
      But... why spend premium money? A trade for OBJ will come with a new long-term contract.
      We have 4 years left of Justin Herbert's relatively cheap contract.
      Go get Slater/Darrisaw with the #13 pick... and have a relatively cheap 5-year contract on your franchise protector (LT).

Use the extra cap space saved (from not signing OBJ) to fill in roster needs. Start pushing for playoffs/SB run now. We're very close. We have a 4 year window. Be smart.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

I liked OBJ out of college (I was about the only one here @TPB).
        But... why spend premium money? A trade for OBJ will come with a new long-term contract.
        We have 4 years left of Justin Herbert's relatively cheap contract.
        Go get Slater/Darrisaw with the #13 pick... and have a relatively cheap 5-year contract on your franchise protector (LT).

Use the extra cap space saved (from not signing OBJ) to fill in roster needs. Start pushing for playoffs/SB run now. We're very close. We have a 4 year window. Be smart.
        Most obvious reason is one, Slater could be taken long before the Chargers selection and two, are you guaranteeing Darrisaw would not bust? With Brown you can eliminate both questions and extend him long term, cap friendly contract because he wants to be your starting LT.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Most obvious reason is one, Slater could be taken long before the Chargers selection and two, are you guaranteeing Darrisaw would not bust? With Brown you can eliminate both questions and extend him long term, cap friendly contract because he wants to be your starting LT.
          Does Brown eliminate the bust question though?

Comment

• eaterfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

You can't guarantee OBJ won't bust. He might not be a true LT (8 games isn't much of a sample). Even if he is a true left tackle, he might not fit well in our scheme. I thought we got two veteran OL last year that weren't busts, but surprise! They did.

Also, the last sentence is pure speculation (and IMO completely opposite of what is true). There's a very good chance he wants to be a LT because LTs get paid significantly more than RTs. So a guy looking to make more money probably isn't looking to settle for a team friendly contract. Additionally, he is one year from FA so he had pretty significant leverage. Look what Dak Prescott did when he was not extended as soon as possible.

Yes, there is probably less downside risk with OBJ compared to Slater, Sewell, Darrisaw, or any of the OT prospects in the draft, but there's also less upside potential and it's going to cost significantly more money and done draft compensation to get him.

Let's say it takes a third rounder to get OBJ. That is probably enough to get us up to 10 in the draft. That should be a spot where Slater is available. Would you rather have Slater and 5 years of control before the franchise tag or OBJ for one season before having to use the franchise tag at a significantly higher salary?

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

OBJ I don't get the impression will sign a cap friendly contract. He wants to get paid.

I'd pass as well and just draft our LT. We will get him in round 1 or somehow. OBJ was a third round pick.

And since you like to use athlete scores (RAS), just so you know, OBJ had terribly slow times.

So that metric isn't fool proof. I'd guess had you seen his RAS score prior to the draft, you wouldn't draft him.
              What do you think? Still want him? Like RAS less? Lol

Screenshot_20210404-140838.png
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-04-2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

You can't guarantee OBJ won't bust. He might not be a true LT (8 games isn't much of a sample). Even if he is a true left tackle, he might not fit well in our scheme. I thought we got two veteran OL last year that weren't busts, but surprise! They did.

Also, the last sentence is pure speculation (and IMO completely opposite of what is true). There's a very good chance he wants to be a LT because LTs get paid significantly more than RTs. So a guy looking to make more money probably isn't looking to settle for a team friendly contract. Additionally, he is one year from FA so he had pretty significant leverage. Look what Dak Prescott did when he was not extended as soon as possible.

Yes, there is probably less downside risk with OBJ compared to Slater, Sewell, Darrisaw, or any of the OT prospects in the draft, but there's also less upside potential and it's going to cost significantly more money and done draft compensation to get him.

Let's say it takes a third rounder to get OBJ. That is probably enough to get us up to 10 in the draft. That should be a spot where Slater is available. Would you rather have Slater and 5 years of control before the franchise tag or OBJ for one season before having to use the franchise tag at a significantly higher salary?
                Problem with the logic that it only takes a third to get OBJ vs just using it as capital to trade up is that if you give up a third to get OBJ you still have pick 13 to go get a potentially impact player.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

OBJ I don't get the impression will sign a cap friendly contract. He wants to get paid.

I'd pass as well and just draft our LT. We will get him in round 1 or somehow. OBJ was a third round pick.

And since you like to use athlete scores (RAS), just so you know, OBJ had terribly slow times.

So that metric isn't fool proof. I'd guess had you seen his RAS score prior to the draft, you wouldn't draft him.
                  What do you think? Still want him? Like RAS less? Lol

Screenshot_20210404-140838.png
                  RAS has been around awhile, but it’s new to me. I’m sure however it may have had something to do with his slide into the 3rd rd. But he has proven himself as a pretty dominant and formidable LT, hence he doesn’t need or want to play RT.

LT is a different position than any other. You’d like a big framed guy (RAS elite) long arms (RAS elite) big hands (RAS elite) so his size metric was elite, unless they somehow fucked up the whole test. Would expect his agility testing, factoring in his size to have been excellent. Now strength, bench metric I know was poor as was his forty.

I’ve been told he is even better than Orlando Brown Zeus, his Dad, a dominant OT for the Ravens and Browns playing a solid 12 years so still plenty of gas in the tank if you all are real serious about having a stud LT.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

That may be true (Slater gone before #13). But I like Darrisaw and Cosmi, too. Being afraid of the "bust" (The ghost of DJ Fluker) is no way to run a draft. You could just as easily draft a "bust" at any other position as well. I don't believe that OBJ will be a bust at LT (I was his biggest supporter a few years ago). But having a 5-year starter at LT (for a fraction of the cost) is a real advantage cap wise.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

Problem with the logic that it only takes a third to get OBJ vs just using it as capital to trade up is that if you give up a third to get OBJ you still have pick 13 to go get a potentially impact player.
                      According to this article, Ravens are asking for a Day 1 pick.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2021
                        • Send PM

Just Do It. No monkeying around with this notion that the Chargers LT day one, is sitting there all nice and pretty with the 13th pick or the Broncos would be willing trade partners to swap 1st's for Chargers 3rd & 5th Picks to move back three spots. Then the prospect still has to prove he's capable next level. Assume that will take some time and in time he's gonna wanna be paid just as much if not more than OBJ.

I would seriously consider trading with the Ravens and compensating them the 13th pick overall, if a long term agreement can be reached (w/OBJ) beneficial to both sides. This is the Chargers chance to solve the #1 need with one of the very best LT's already for a song. Look what the Texans traded for Tunsil. IMO OBJ is better, younger and more motivated to be the Chargers answer @ LT.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

That may be true (Slater gone before #13). But I like Darrisaw and Cosmi, too. Being afraid of the "bust" (The ghost of DJ Fluker) is no way to run a draft. You could just as easily draft a "bust" at any other position as well. I don't believe that OBJ will be a bust at LT (I was his biggest supporter a few years ago). But having a 5-year starter at LT (for a fraction of the cost) is a real advantage cap wise.
                          The last time we picked a Corner in Rd 1, he was a complete bust yet a portion of this board wants to draft a corner who just had back surgery. Given there are 4 or 5 starter -ready LTs max in this draft and 8+ corners ... lets get that LT at 13 (Slater or Darrisaw will be there) and start working on the secondary later in the draft.

I think all of those top LTs will be gone by 47. They almost always are. We don’t even have Sam Fucking Tevi on the roster anymore.

I don’t buy the theory that a great cover corner has no value in Staley’s magic defense. I agree Staley designs coverages to minimize reliance on super-human cover skills but saying a top cover corner isn’t a value just makes no sense. Sticky man cover corners will always be in style. Staley is smart enough to know how to use one. Or two.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X