• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

With the Cover-4 or 6 that Staley runs, you will need TWO FS's...and that's better for Adderley, because he won't have to cover as much turf as when he played single high...
    three weeks from today I think at like 1pm - the legal tampering will start and we will all be waiting for the equivalent of Woj Bombs from Schefter, Josina Anderson, Rapoport, Glazer, Pelisero and Mort.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Playing a rotating 2 deep shell, the S are basically interchangeable. They will be used as a SS up in the box AND as a FS in the middle of the field. It's not so much that we need 2 FS, as it is we need 2 S who have the skill sets of both a SS and FS. And any S we have needs to be quick to read and react, since the assignments on any given play will depend on what the offense is doing.

On top of the skill set to be a starting S, we are going to need plenty of backup DB, including several S. Staley uses a lot of his backup S in place of LB. He spent 85% of his time in nickel and dime packages, so most of the time at least 1 DB (sometimes 2 or even 3) will need to be up in the box, with LB type of assignments, although they will line up deeper and/or further outside, so while they won't necessarily need to take on blockers, they still need to be guys who are good at stepping up and taking on the runner in the whole, as opposed to DB who sit back and wait for the runner to come to them. .
      That doesn’t bode well for Adderley. He seems like a prototypical FS to me. A little less so for Rayshawn. He is definitely best as a FS but has more SS traits than Adderley. I really like the idea of Derwin and JJ3 holding down the 2 deep shell.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Playing a rotating 2 deep shell, the S are basically interchangeable. They will be used as a SS up in the box AND as a FS in the middle of the field. It's not so much that we need 2 FS, as it is we need 2 S who have the skill sets of both a SS and FS. And any S we have needs to be quick to read and react, since the assignments on any given play will depend on what the offense is doing.

On top of the skill set to be a starting S, we are going to need plenty of backup DB, including several S. Staley uses a lot of his backup S in place of LB. He spent 85% of his time in nickel and dime packages, so most of the time at least 1 DB (sometimes 2 or even 3) will need to be up in the box, with LB type of assignments, although they will line up deeper and/or further outside, so while they won't necessarily need to take on blockers, they still need to be guys who are good at stepping up and taking on the runner in the whole, as opposed to DB who sit back and wait for the runner to come to them. .
        This is important because proper role flexibility w/fundamentals is what allows us to disguise our coverages and overall defense.

There are two types of Combo Safeties for us to choose from ATM.

Wild and Athletic
        vs
        Sound and a tic slower.

Rayshawn vs JJ III
        Andre Cisco vs Jevon Holland

You got to be a doctor quick to diagnose
        in order to QB this defense,
        and when you misdiagnose,
        the results are tragic.

Rayshawn and Adderley can assume other roles.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

That doesn’t bode well for Adderley. He seems like a prototypical FS to me. A little less so for Rayshawn. He is definitely best as a FS but has more SS traits than Adderley. I really like the idea of Derwin and JJ3 holding down the 2 deep shell.
          Would you invest our draft capital in Moehrig ?

This instinctive DB stuff-I have been all over it since beginning to grasp Staley concepts.

There is love here for your guy Molden, and for Ar'Darius--the mighty mites who are VERY instinctive.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

True, Adderly is not the greatest tackler. However, he does have the skillset to cover slot.
            Steve makes a good point... no longer think of safeties as strictly SS and FS. The safeties will have a skillset that does a little of everything. While JJ3 and Rapp are the prototype, it doesn't mean that you have to have specifically those guys. Jenkins was a safety that we argued about endlessly coming out of college. Is he a FS...? Is he a SS...? Now, it doesn't really matter. You no longer need 4.4 speed to play the system. You just need your safeties to be instinctive (still good in coverage) but a willing, or able, tackler... and tackling can be taught. Look all over the draft (all rounds) for safeties like that. They are everywhere. Look for safety tweeners that fall...

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

With the Cover-4 or 6 that Staley runs, you will need TWO FS's...and that's better for Adderley, because he won't have to cover as much turf as when he played single high...
              Why I'd prefer Jenkins is signed to Johnson. And likely cheaper

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                Note: JJ III played FS in 2020.
                LAR even tried to make it look like he was playing Single High.
                Taylor Rapp and especially Jordan Fuller, even Terrell Burgess, played SS.
                Most significantly, JJ III will play the identical role with LAC as with LAR.
                ​​​​​​YOUR Rayshawn will never get the Green Dot.
                It's not gonna happen.
                Don't be sad.
                Derwin gets no Green Dot either.

Derwin can call a play, it could still be Murray as he being the MLB will be on The field all the time. Green dot is being over emphasized here.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                  Draftnik
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Would you invest our draft capital in Moehrig ?

This instinctive DB stuff-I have been all over it since beginning to grasp Staley concepts.

There is love here for your guy Molden, and for Ar'Darius--the mighty mites who are VERY instinctive.
                  Unfortunately, I can’t justify drafting Molden until our 3A pick. But unless he gets a DUI or something between now and April, he’ll be gone by then. He’s also a bit of a luxury pick considering we already have CHJr. But I f Molden DOES fall into our laps somehow, I’d want to start him immediately, meaning CHJr. gets cut. I can’t think of another player in this draft who’d thrive more in Staley’s defense.

Moehrig is a great talent and I’m sure he excel under Staley, but no, I wouldn’t use a round 2 pick on him either. And he’ll be gone by 3A.

But if it came down to a situation where we either pick Moehrig or Molden, I’d take Molden and not even blink.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Unfortunately, I can’t justify drafting Molden until our 3A pick. But unless he gets a DUI or something between now and April, he’ll be gone by then. He’s also a bit of a luxury pick considering we already have CHJr. But I f Molden DOES fall into our laps somehow, I’d want to start him immediately, meaning CHJr. gets cut. I can’t think of another player in this draft who’d thrive more in Staley’s defense.

Moehrig is a great talent and I’m sure he excel under Staley, but no, I wouldn’t use a round 2 pick on him either. And he’ll be gone by 3A.

But if it came down to a situation where we either pick Moehrig or Molden, I’d take Molden and not even blink.
                    Agreed.
                    Moehrig rd 2 (although I am more bullish)
                    Molden 3a
                    Ar'Darius 3b or 4 (my take)

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Agreed.
                      Moehrig rd 2 (although I am more bullish)
                      Molden 3a
                      Ar'Darius 3b or 4 (my take)
                      I already know how you feel about Hayward, so we won't get into that again. But from where I stand, I can't justify drafting a safety in R2 if a quality outside corner is still on the board.
                      Horn, Stokes, Newsome II, Adebo.

I'd also take a DT before safety.
                      Tufele, Onwuzurike, Barmore.

All those guys are higher on my board than Moehrig.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I already know how you feel about Hayward, so we won't get into that again. But from where I stand, I can't justify drafting a safety in R2 if a quality outside corner is still on the board.

OL, Edge, CB, Front 7 and OL
                        Rounds 1-4 -

(i get not passing on unique talent but the chargers have big time needs at OL, DL and CB - especially with so many veterans who are going into their last year)

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Yep...DT a bigger PON than safety...

Comment

Working...
                          X