• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Yeah we may be outbid by some other teams with regards to Linsley. Another backup option is David Andrews. We could also spend money on a bridge OT like Reiff and defensive pieces for Staley, and draft IOL and OC instead.
    A few other OC options include Ted Karras, Austin Blythe, and Austin Reiter.
    I believe the Chargers will sign one of them, as well as a couple OGs.
    There are several decent options at guard and we should strike a deal with two of the following:
    Matt Feiler, Nick Easton, Larry Warford, Kyle Long, Germain Ifedi, Jermaine Eluemunor, Kevin Zeitler, John Feliciano.

If coupon Tom passes on bigger names like Linsley and Thuney, my preference is a trio of Feiler, Reiter, and Blythe.

FWIW, here's the PFF differential between those guys and what we had in 2020:

RG - Feiler 65.0 (Turner 34.8)
    OC - Reiter 70.9 (Feeney 48.2)
    LG - Blythe 69.3 (Lamp 49.4)
    *Blythe had a 76.4 when he played at G instead of C.

Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

A few other OC options include Ted Karras, Austin Blythe, and Austin Reiter.
      I believe the Chargers will sign one of them, as well as a couple OGs.
      There are several decent options at guard and we should strike a deal with two of the following:
      Matt Feiler, Nick Easton, Larry Warford, Kyle Long, Germain Ifedi, Jermaine Eluemunor, Kevin Zeitler, John Feliciano.

If coupon Tom passes on bigger names like Linsley and Thuney, my preference is a trio of Feiler, Reiter, and Blythe.

FWIW, here's the PFF differential between those guys and what we had in 2020:

RG - Feiler 65.0 (Turner 34.8)
      OC - Reiter 70.9 (Feeney 48.2)
      LG - Blythe 69.3 (Lamp 49.4)
      *Blythe had a 76.4 when he played at G instead of C.
      There is one reason I like signing Blythe - he gives you the option in the draft. Say OT is the pick in R1 -- so in R2 you can go Creed (if he makes it past Dallas or the Niners) or a guy like Wyatt Davis (or others at OG) as Blythe can play either position

I mean, the bar is so low for the Chargers OL - it cannot go anywhere but up. And I like a lot of the names you mention. Eluemanor is a name I think you have mentioned before - big dude. But he might work

There are so many options at OG that if Telesco passes on Linsely or doesn't get into a bidding war - he can still get a better player than last years team but at a more pragmatic price point.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

There is one reason I like signing Blythe - he gives you the option in the draft. Say OT is the pick in R1 -- so in R2 you can go Creed (if he makes it past Dallas or the Niners) or a guy like Wyatt Davis (or others at OG) as Blythe can play either position

I mean, the bar is so low for the Chargers OL - it cannot go anywhere but up. And I like a lot of the names you mention. Eluemanor is a name I think you have mentioned before - big dude. But he might work

There are so many options at OG that if Telesco passes on Linsely or doesn't get into a bidding war - he can still get a better player than last years team but at a more pragmatic price point.
        Agreed. Both Blythe and Feiler offer position flexibility. If I had it my way our 2021 OL would be:
        LT: Slater (or Little depending on his pro day)
        LG: Blythe
        OC: Reiter
        RG: Feiler
        RT: Bulaga

We should also draft a day 3 guard, a guy like Kendrick Green, Quinn Meinerz, Robert Hainsey, or Ben Cleveland to come in and compete with the vets. That oughta do it.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

One big problem...

There is a proliferation of high end talent at DT in the NFL.

We should emphasize IOL...lots of round three OTs.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
            Draftnik
            • Oct 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
            One big problem...

There is a proliferation of high end talent at DT in the NFL.

We should emphasize IOL...lots of round three OTs.
            I agree with that—our IOL is more problematic than our tackles. But we need a LT who can start on day 1, and the 3rd rounders (and beyond) are all projects IMO. There is a deep pool of interior guys in FA. We need to use that to our advantage.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

New look Chargers...didn't really think they were gonna cut Hayward...

Linsley is great...but would rather have Thuney, and then settle for one of the other solid options at OC...I want that rookie left tackle playing next to a high caliber vet.
              The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• BoltingUP
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2021
                • Send PM

Every year Draft predictions have OTs and IOLs going in the middle rounds. The reality is that OTs, Corners and Pass Rushers will always go very early in the Draft. You cant wait for these positions if you need them to be more than a 50-50 project. One of the reasons the Chargers are where they are is that they have not held true to this fact. Football teams are built from the inside out. We always have an excuse to draft a position other than OT. This is the year to stay focused, get a OT in the 1st, CB in the 2nd and then make sure at least two more OL are drafted in the next 3 picks. Otherwise, we will just spin in the same circle. I don't know about all of you, but I have seen a hall-of-fame quarterback (Fouts), a soon to be hall-of-fame quarterback (Rivers) not get a ring because the Chargers refuse to build the basic foundations of a champion. I really don't need to see it with a potential third HOF quarterback.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Welcome to TPB, BoltingUp.
                  Oline must be fixed.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltingUP View Post
                    Every year Draft predictions have OTs and IOLs going in the middle rounds. The reality is that OTs, Corners and Pass Rushers will always go very early in the Draft. You cant wait for these positions if you need them to be more than a 50-50 project. One of the reasons the Chargers are where they are is that they have not held true to this fact. Football teams are built from the inside out. We always have an excuse to draft a position other than OT. This is the year to stay focused, get a OT in the 1st, CB in the 2nd and then make sure at least two more OL are drafted in the next 3 picks. Otherwise, we will just spin in the same circle. I don't know about all of you, but I have seen a hall-of-fame quarterback (Fouts), a soon to be hall-of-fame quarterback (Rivers) not get a ring because the Chargers refuse to build the basic foundations of a champion. I really don't need to see it with a potential third HOF quarterback.
                    I agree but think we can find 2-3 starters on the Oline in FA.
                    OT, CB, EDGE, IOL, IDL, DS, LB, TE are also positions that need added talent.

Welcome to the TPB.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Welcome to the TPB.
                      Who’s your favorite TE in FA if HH isn’t re-signed? Jonnu Smith is looking mighty tempting.

Comment

• BoltingUP
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Welcome to the TPB.
                        Thanks for the welcome!

This is a unique FA year. I definitely see the Chargers signing a veteran C. We are going to need potentially 2 guards and a LT in the draft. If you are going to change that much, there needs to be a veteran at C playing QB for the OL.

I think this unique year will give us the opportunity to get CB, EDGE, IOL, TE, DT and/or a few special teams players. They wont get them all, but this is a unique year to go after these positions in FA.

OL is a lot about chemistry. Bringing in numerous OL from different teams with different coaching is tough. I think chemistry is better built with draft picks with a couple veterans that play the style you are going to teach. I see most of the OL coming from the Draft. We don't need to create a great Offensive Line, we need to first create an average OL. After that, we can substitute good OL for average OL and the average players become quality back-ups.

FA CBs can play immediately. FA EDGE pass rushers can play immediately. Drafted DT take a year or two. Drafted CB are hit and miss in year one and TE need to learn to block. For this reason, I think we get the positions that contribute year 1 in FA, draft the rest.

Another question....Who does everyone want as the veteran QB to be in the room with Herbert?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Who’s your favorite TE in FA if HH isn’t re-signed? Jonnu Smith is looking mighty tempting.
                          Don't have a fav FA at TE. It's pretty weak looking. Smith would be OK as an assending player who would be cheaper than HH and then maybe draft a TE somewhere.

Isn't Ertz going to get cut? Maybe sign him to a one or Two year deal and draft one would work too.
                          Not interested in Rudolph.

Haven't really thought about TE as I figured we would keep HH.

Comment

Working...
                          X