• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

K9 is an impressive athlete. We knew he was pretty raw coming out of college, and it was going to take some time to develop. Since that is what is happening, I don't see any problem.

The really good thing is that White is playing much better than he has since his rookie year, and Tranquill has been flashing in limited time, so while we might want K9 in there, we can afford to sit him and let his ankle rest.

In fact if White and Tranquill can keep playing really effectively at ILB, then that gives us a chance to use K9 as a blitzer/pass rusher some when he comes back. Plenty of players who struggle to read and react as a flow/stack LB are much more effective in a blitz/rush role.

Comment

• CivilBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      K9 is an impressive athlete. We knew he was pretty raw coming out of college, and it was going to take some time to develop. Since that is what is happening, I don't see any problem.

The really good thing is that White is playing much better than he has since his rookie year, and Tranquill has been flashing in limited time, so while we might want K9 in there, we can afford to sit him and let his ankle rest.

In fact if White and Tranquill can keep playing really effectively at ILB, then that gives us a chance to use K9 as a blitzer/pass rusher some when he comes back. Plenty of players who struggle to read and react as a flow/stack LB are much more effective in a blitz/rush role.
      If you look at K9’s draft profile, a negative was his instinct. Hopefully he gets better at reading plays.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

I don't think you draft a raw project in the 1st round, unless maybe it's a QB. When you draft a LB in the first round, you expect him to be pretty much NFL ready. But I am with you in wanting too see what Murray can do as a pass rusher, after watching Micah Parsons excel in that role. Murray (6-2 241/4.52) and Parsons (6-2 245/4.39) are similar in size, and while Parsons has ridiculous speed, Murray is pretty fast for a player his size as well.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I don't think you draft a raw project in the 1st round, unless maybe it's a QB. When you draft a LB in the first round, you expect him to be pretty much NFL ready. But I am with you in wanting too see what Murray can do as a pass rusher, after watching Micah Parsons excel in that role. Murray (6-2 241/4.52) and Parsons (6-2 245/4.39) are similar in size, and while Parsons has ridiculous speed, Murray is pretty fast for a player his size as well.
          Yet everyone (not me!) wanted Simmons in the top 5?

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Yet everyone (not me!) wanted Simmons in the top 5?
            I raised concerns about his lack of physicality at Clemson....no takers.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

im not worried about Murray, He will come on in this defense.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I like Murray and hope he pans out. My problem is, when do you let him see the field? It's not like you can sub him in for run packages because he struggles with his reads and misses tackles. And its not like you can put him in 3rd downs because they don't let him rush much and his drops and coverage are inconsistent. So other than practice, when does he get to learn and build confidence? He may get passed up by Nieman who seemed to step on the field and know where to be and what to do (a very Donnie Edwards like player who is not splashy but does his job well)

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Parsons time is a PD so add .08.

K9 is doing fine. Still learning/adjusting to NFL schemes and coverage responsibilities, which he wasn’t tasked with in college.
                  Kid is very intelligent, graduated in 3 years, uber athletic, with insane physical traits.
                  He’s very young and thinking too much. He’ll get it in due time with processing.
                  Seau must have been a terrible player coming out since K9 bested all of his rookie statistics.

Perspective people.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

You can say what you want about whether or not we should have taken him or not, but he was a raw player and he DID get taken in the 1st round. That was the book on him, and it was pretty obvious. While many fans may not have been aware of it, everyone who follows the draft was very aware of how raw K9 was. He was drafted were he was because he was a great athlete. I don't understand why anyone is surprised about it now, since it wasn't a secret or anything.

Murray was used extensively as a blitzer and edge rusher in the Oklahoma D. What they didn't ask him to do was to drop in zone or be used in man coverage very much. Mostly, he was asked to do what is sometimes known as a "box" technique, where he kinda spy's the QB and RB. With so many teams playing spread offenses and leaving a RB in to block then release, and the QB all being able to run, it makes sense in college football. But in the NFL, everyone has to learn to cover eventually. Bosa is the guy in our D who is going to be the primary edge rusher, so any other LB type guy has to be be able to cover, because they will be dropping a fair bit.

People have to remember that most college LB can't cover worth a shit. A lot of NFL LB don't cover all that well, at least compared to DB, which is why 80% of the time, defenses are playing 5 or more DB. But it is also worth remembering that a lot of the LB who cannot cover coming out of college eventually learn how to cover. Murray just lacks exposure. He wasn't asked to do traditional pass coverage much in college. He was learning a very simple coverage scheme with Gus last year. Now, he is being asked to learn a completely, and much more complicated coverage package with Staley, and learning all new run fits. It is just going to take some time. It also doesn't help his brother died this spring, since that sort of thing does bring on focus problems. But I think it is a little early to give up on K9 and his becoming an every down LB.

4.5 40 speed is excellent for an edge rusher. Not being as fast as Parson's doesn't really mean much. Sure, you want as much speed as possible, but in the end, both will have to develop moves and hand useage. Speed is meaningless without the rest of the package. Murray is much more advanced as a rusher than Parsons, based on what they did in college.

As far as Seau, he was a switched from playing a pass rushing OLB at USC to ILB in the Chargers. It took him a while, but he did make the transition. He even learned how to play DT in the pass rush line his 2nd season, after we traded Lee Williams.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Parsons time is a PD so add .08.

K9 is doing fine. Still learning/adjusting to NFL schemes and coverage responsibilities, which he wasn’t tasked with in college.
                      Kid is very intelligent, graduated in 3 years, uber athletic, with insane physical traits.
                      He’s very young and thinking too much. He’ll get it in due time with processing.
                      Seau must have been a terrible player coming out since K9 bested all of his rookie statistics.

Perspective people.
                      I agree he’s going to be fine. Some guys take longer to adjust to NFL, that may not appease our NOW demands, but thats how it is. Staley has a more complex scheme, give them some time.

Tranq is also a solid LB. no problem with two.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

You can say what you want about whether or not we should have taken him or not, but he was a raw player and he DID get taken in the 1st round. That was the book on him, and it was pretty obvious. While many fans may not have been aware of it, everyone who follows the draft was very aware of how raw K9 was. He was drafted were he was because he was a great athlete. I don't understand why anyone is surprised about it now, since it wasn't a secret or anything.

Murray was used extensively as a blitzer and edge rusher in the Oklahoma D. What they didn't ask him to do was to drop in zone or be used in man coverage very much. Mostly, he was asked to do what is sometimes known as a "box" technique, where he kinda spy's the QB and RB. With so many teams playing spread offenses and leaving a RB in to block then release, and the QB all being able to run, it makes sense in college football. But in the NFL, everyone has to learn to cover eventually. Bosa is the guy in our D who is going to be the primary edge rusher, so any other LB type guy has to be be able to cover, because they will be dropping a fair bit.

People have to remember that most college LB can't cover worth a shit. A lot of NFL LB don't cover all that well, at least compared to DB, which is why 80% of the time, defenses are playing 5 or more DB. But it is also worth remembering that a lot of the LB who cannot cover coming out of college eventually learn how to cover. Murray just lacks exposure. He wasn't asked to do traditional pass coverage much in college. He was learning a very simple coverage scheme with Gus last year. Now, he is being asked to learn a completely, and much more complicated coverage package with Staley, and learning all new run fits. It is just going to take some time. It also doesn't help his brother died this spring, since that sort of thing does bring on focus problems. But I think it is a little early to give up on K9 and his becoming an every down LB.

4.5 40 speed is excellent for an edge rusher. Not being as fast as Parson's doesn't really mean much. Sure, you want as much speed as possible, but in the end, both will have to develop moves and hand useage. Speed is meaningless without the rest of the package. Murray is much more advanced as a rusher than Parsons, based on what they did in college.

As far as Seau, he was a switched from playing a pass rushing OLB at USC to ILB in the Chargers. It took him a while, but he did make the transition. He even learned how to play DT in the pass rush line his 2nd season, after we traded Lee Williams.
                        If all we asked Derwin James to cover Ruggs I'm sure he would start to develop a complex. We need to blitz Murray at least 4 times a game so he doesn't feel like a 5th wheel on a car. Nothing like being asked to pick weeds in the garden when you know you can chop wood with an ax! We saw how much of an impact Drew Tranquil had on that one blitz play!

:beer:
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• After thoughts on Chargers move to new stadium: Hopefully this post does not bring anybody down its not the intent. I am originally from SD and when SD had that vote for a new stadium and lost, and the Chargers left SD I was pretty shocked and bummed.

Everyone said that even though they would be going to a new stadium, nobody would be there. That LA belonged to the Rams.

But after watching a few games, and seeing just how that new stadium just kinda brings a new energy to everything, I have to say that the move was probably a good one. Fans are going. And more important, these guys deserved a better stadium, not the dump they were playing in. They are getting all kinds of attention in this media capital. There is just a buzz, much better than they ever had in SD. A lot of it is that stadium.

I remember as a kid going to the new Jack Murphy Stadium(Qualcomn) for the first time. Its just amazing going to a new stadium. Kinda like getting a new car. You just feel better when you get in and drive it. New stadium, new coach, new players...new win record.
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2021, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X