• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Katdnzr View Post
    Lets face facts. Bulaga was done in Green Bay, that's why they let him walk. He has been nothing but ordinary and injury plagued. I would not put any high hopes that he will ever deliver when the pressure is on.
    I mean GB let Linsley walk as well. Hindsight is 20/20.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Lets face facts. Bulaga was done in Green Bay, that's why they let him walk. He has been nothing but ordinary and injury plagued. I would not put any high hopes that he will ever deliver when the pressure is on.
      When the pressure is on? Dude has played, and played well in the ultimate pressure games in his career. He's played in more high pressure games than any other player on our roster.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

Los Angeles Chargers at Baltimore Ravens, Sunday, 1 p.m.

Walkthrough has solved the mystery of the Chargers' low DVOA rankings!

For those of you who just read Walkthrough for the Urban Meyer yuks and don't follow all the inside-baseball football analysis at Football Outsiders: the Chargers' DVOA rating was shockingly low after the team upset the Kansas City Chiefs to go 2-1. The Chargers are now slowly climbing up the charts, but they're still 11th overall, below the 2-3 49ers and Seahawks. Does DVOA hate the Chargers? Has it uncovered some super-secret flaw? Did we forget to carry a two?

Nope. The Chargers offense just wasn't very good early in the season but has rapidly improved each week.

Here are the Chargers' week-by-week offensive DVOA figures:
        Week Opponent Offensive
        DVOA
        1 WAS -11.3%
        2 DAL 0.4%
        3 KC 4.5%
        4 LV 23.9%
        5 CLE 50.4%
        When the Chargers scored 20 points in the season opener against Washington, many of us interpreted it as a semi-impressive performance against a great defense. Now that Washington has allowed 29 points to the Giants and 30 to the Falcons, it's clear that their defense is actually below average. Therefore, the Chargers offense must also have been below average in week 1, as DVOA suggests.

The Chargers moved up and down the field against the Cowboys but lost because of red zone mistakes. Well, the Eagles move up and down the field but fail in the red zone all the time this year, and the Panthers did so last year. An offense with a red zone problem is an offense with a real problem, so DVOA was not impressed with the Chargers in Week 2.

The Chargers beat the Chiefs with the help of four turnovers. It was a fine performance against a lousy defense, and DVOA interpreted it as a little bit above average. The Chargers offense has been excellent over the last two weeks, and while that retroactively impacts our perceptions of how they played in September, it doesn't go back and improve their statistics or put points on the scoreboard against the Cowboys.

Article doesn't mention that rising efficiency correlates with decrease in mistakes like drops and penalties. But good to see offense getting in sync.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I thought the announcer said during Browns game that Chargers lead league in drops? Did I hear that right? If so, Herbert is impossibly even better than we all say.

Keenan has dropped more passes than I can ever remember. Hope he fixes it

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

According to PFFFT Herbert has an on target rate of about 84% and a completion percent of about 68%. That 16% gap (1 out of 6) is the highest in the league.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
              I thought the announcer said during Browns game that Chargers lead league in drops? Did I hear that right? If so, Herbert is impossibly even better than we all say.

Keenan has dropped more passes than I can ever remember. Hope he fixes it

TG
              Early downs, mostly. KA has been good on the 3rd and 4th down plays.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Early downs, mostly. KA has been good on the 3rd and 4th down plays.
                Happy to see you posting after the fourth quarter test your ticker got on Sunday. We could be in for another game like that this week. Take your meds!
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Why GB let Bulaga go- end of $33.75m contract in 2019, 2 ACL tears 2017, missed part of 4 games 2018 with knee & back injuries.
                  I wouldn't bet that he can't deliver a few good games, if his "procedure" went well as rumored. When healthy, Bulaga was a top RT. I certainly would not bet on him long term.
                  Meanwhile he's been an asset coaching up the much improved Norton.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Agree. He was actually considered a bargain by many experts, but the reason for the bargain was the rolling of the injury dice. I don’t hold the injuries against Baluga and I also don’t find fault with Chargers for taking a chance on him
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

When you miss on your OL draft picks you have to pay up or roll the dice.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                        When you miss on your OL draft picks you have to pay up or roll the dice.
                        Exactly.

Comment

• SBbound
                          Casual fanatic
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Merced/San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                          Meanwhile he's been an asset coaching up the much improved Norton.
                          I didn't know that. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X