• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Thinking of Herbert, the bye comes at a good time for him too, he needs to settle down some.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Is this really a bad draft pick or are they planning for when Cook retires. Maybe McKitty can play RT? LOL!

:shifty:
      If not, we can put him at Safety with the others … sort of TT’s island if misfit toys …
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Calling 5th, 6th and 7th rounders busts is a stretch. When we hit on one of those picks we call it a good find.
        I know the topic is DL but late rounders in general don't have big success rates.

They all didn't work out which ill agree but how many late rounders do? Justin Jackson was a good pick but as we know his problem is staying healthy for 2 games in a row lol.
        We have been pretty good with UDFAs but we bring in like 20 every year and 1 maybe 2 make the team every year and they may or may not stick after year 1.

Think about that. We have one of the best track records with UDFAs with every team having roughly 20 every year. So missing on your three late round guys isn't some tragedy. We aren't worse than other teams there

Some of them stick for us and play often.
        Where I have an issue with TT's drafting on D-line, among others, is that he seems to lean heavily on drafting D-line in the late rounds...or not at all...

Comment

• Boltgang74
          We Are The Storm!
          • Aug 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          Thinking of Herbert, the bye comes at a good time for him too, he needs to settle down some.
          Hope he doesnt develop Rivers syndrome.Trying to overcompensate for the rest of the teams inadequacies.

Comment

• SBbound
            Casual fanatic
            • Feb 2019
            • Merced/San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I have no idea why that game, if all games, would inspire you and lead you to follow the team.

That’s like seeing a drunk and passed out girl get carried out of the club and say “she’s for me”!
            When did your fandom with the Chargers begin? Was there a game or a year that really did it for you?

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Where I have an issue with TT's drafting on D-line, among others, is that he seems to lean heavily on drafting D-line in the late rounds...or not at all...
              Tillery?

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post

When did your fandom with the Chargers begin? Was there a game or a year that really did it for you?
                My dad infected me with the Chargers virus when I was a little kid. He had tickets since they moved to San Diego in 1961. He was friends with Sid Gilman’s daughter and her husband. My earliest memories are of Lance Alworth and Gary the Ghost Garrison. I also loved Dickie Post. My dad also went to SDSU. He had tickets for them too during the Coryell years. So it was Sdsu Saturday night and Chargers on Sunday

Comment

• UglyTruth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Here's TT's draft record on D-line:

2013 - Round 6 - Tourek Williams - BUST
                  2014 - Round 5 - Ryan Carrethers - BUST
                  2015 - Round 6 - Darius Philon - productive in rotation--not a bad pick for late-rounder
                  2016 - Round 1 - Joey Bosa - ELITE PICK, but then, he was high on just about everyone's board
                  2017 - Round 7 - Isaac Rochell - Showed some flashes in the rotation--5 sacks in 2018--not a bad late round pick
                  2018 - Round 3 - Justin Jones - Developing into at least a serviceable run-defender, when healthy
                  2019 - Round 1 - Jerry Tillery - BUST
                  2019 - Round 7 - Cortez Broughton - BUST
                  2020 - NO D-LINE SELECTED AT ALL!
                  2021 - Round 4 - Chris Rumph - Could develop into decent rotational pass rusher

Now, when I call a late-rounder a "bust," I mean they were either mostly unproductive or didn't last long with the team. We can draw the following conclusions from TT's D-line draft history:

1. TT drafts a LOT of late round D-line players. And when he does, they're usually a "BUST."
                  2. In round 1, he is 1/2. Bosa was a can't miss player. Tillery was a reach and a bust.
                  3. The only mid-rounders he has drafted are Jones and Rumph. Both seem to be promising.
                  4. By the 2020 draft, TT already had a year to evaluate Tillery--it was evident he wasn't progressing all that well...TT chose NOT to draft any D-line that year, especially a DT as a hedge in case Tillery totally BUSTED...BIG MISTAKE!

CONCLUSION: TT needs to draft at LEAST more mid-round D-line players. An occasional 1st or 2nd rounder, depending on slotting, also needs to be strongly considered. Finally, TT needs to trade for at least ONE solid run-stuffer, especially someone on the last year of his contract, asap. Other GM's do this...why not u, TT?
                  If you do his OL selections, it’s even worse.
                  Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                  - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                  - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                  - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                  - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                  - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                  - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Agreed. Let's get back to improvement and training in the system that's still months new.
                    let's avoid getting caught up in the MVP talk BS and concentrate on mastering the craft
                    speaking mostly to myself
                    but for Herbert, one of his many strengths is his character
                    the character to grind, stay humble and not lose focus on winning.
                    Let that ho Mahomes get lost while reading his own press clippings.
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• CivilBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post

Hope he doesnt develop Rivers syndrome.Trying to overcompensate for the rest of the teams inadequacies.
                      You mean hero ball? Hopefully not.

Comment

• Berserker76
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

I'm sure he's been studying tape since Sunday. He will learn from Wink's masterpiece of a game, and be better for it in the long run. Now, as for our run defense...

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Tillery?
                          For D-line, TT has drafted only TWO first rounders, NO second rounders, ONE 3rd rounder, ONE 4th rounder, and ALL the rest in round 5 and later--mostly 6th and 7th round...so in that premium range of rounds 1-3, TT has only drafted THREE D-liners in NINE YEARS...no bueno...

Comment

Working...
                          X