• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Another nice article that plays devil’s advocate to passing it so much on first downs. This time the Bills are the example. Passing can be as predictable as running up the middle on first downs if you don’t mix it up.

4. The Bills came out passing (and passing some more) until they had set a record for the Sean McDermott era as head coach. Was that the right approach in their shocking 9-6 defeat to Jacksonville?

Kansas City, Buffalo and Seattle ranked first through third, respectively, on the Cook Index last season, meaning they passed most frequently on early downs, early in games. All three offenses lost traction at various points against 2-deep coverages, leading The Athletic’s Ted Nguyen and I to ask last week whether Kansas City in particular had reached the limitsof pass-happiness.

Even if Buffalo had pulled out a victory, there is no question this season has seen the Bills regress on offense. They ranked fourth in offensive EPA per game through Week 13 last season. They rank 15th since, counting playoffs, and Sunday they suffered through their worst single-game EPA performance on offense since 2019 Week 17, when Matt Barkley played most of the game. Worse for Buffalo, the Jaguars entered Sunday ranked 29th in defensive EPA per game.

The Bills were especially one-dimensional against the Jaguars, despite the game remaining close. They finished this game with a season-high 81 percent reading on the Cook Index, executing 17 pass plays with only four rushing plays on early downs in the first 28 minutes. For the full game, the Bills executed pass plays on 82 percent of early downs, Buffalo’s highest percentage in 77 games under McDermott.

Buffalo, like Kansas City against Green Bay, struggled creating explosive plays in the passing game. The Bills gained more than 15 yards on only 8.9 percent of qualifying attempts (16 percent is the league average). The Chiefs were at 6.3 percent against the Packers, second-lowest for them in a game since the start of last season. Kansas City’s lowest since then was against Buffalo in Week 5. Its third-lowest was against the Giants last week.

“The passing game is way more efficient until you have a 50-10 pass-to-run ratio,” a veteran coach said. “How good does the passing game look then?”

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

That's what I've been saying. We need a LB that's a thumper - a guy like Butkus. If we had a LB as good at playing LB as Linval is at playing his position, we'd be really good. Every team we play will take advantage of our late-arriving LB's. Our LB's are making the tackle after a five yard gain ~ too late!
      I’m not sure what the future holds for the LB position, but I suspect it’s lighter and faster. Right now, LBs are dinosaurs out there. The future of football could be the 5-6 defense. 3 DTS, 2 ED, 6 DB with speed and size between the numbers.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Roo you’re being too hard on the boys.

Pats - 39/142 = 3.64 YPC
        Eagles - 40/176 = 4.4 YPC. Hurts 10/62 = 6.2 YPC. Non-QB - 30/114 = 3.8 YPC.

We’ve been pretty good last couple of weeks.
        No one is like Butkus but Dick was as big/bigger than half of the IOL guys he faced.
        K9 and Kyzir both big for today’s ILB and make impact tackles.
        It’s all coming together.
        You may be right but 3.62 ypc = first down. Maybe K9 will be ready to step up his game. He was darn good at OK. I like White and Tranquill but they aren't quite getting it done.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
          Day One...
          • Mar 2019
          • Brentwood, 94513
          • Send PM

It’s a long season and the team that can manage it will of course be there at the end. We have a few glaring holes on our team. But there isn’t anything out there, that can change it at this point. The only plus I see, is when Bulaga hopefully gets back, our starting DB get back, without losing anyone who’s playing now.

It is our coaches first year. And while he inherited Herbert, this wasn’t a complete team. But it’s the cards we have for this season. So Bolt Ip, cause it’s not going to be easy.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

You may be right but 3.62 ypc = first down. Maybe K9 will be ready to step up his game. He was darn good at OK. I like White and Tranquill but they aren't quite getting it done.
            Anything below 4.0 ypc is considered good. For example, if we held opponents to 3.62 ypc the entire season, we would have the third best rushing defense.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Anything below 4.0 ypc is considered good. For example, if we held opponents to 3.62 ypc the entire season, we would have the third best rushing defense.
              It was 4.4 against Eagles. You can’t take Hurts out of the equation

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

True the Eagles QB accounted for 224 total yards.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts4ever213 View Post
                  It’s a long season and the team that can manage it will of course be there at the end. We have a few glaring holes on our team. But there isn’t anything out there, that can change it at this point. The only plus I see, is when Bulaga hopefully gets back, our starting DB get back, without losing anyone who’s playing now.

It is our coaches first year. And while he inherited Herbert, this wasn’t a complete team. But it’s the cards we have for this season. So Bolt Ip, cause it’s not going to be easy.
                  You are of course spot on. It's a long season, especially with an extra game, and teams are going to wear down. The teams than manage this best, and can manage to limit injuries and have most of their starting group intact going into Jan., are going to benefit. Every team has holes, especially in the AFC. The Bengals and Bills looked like the two best teams two weeks ago. The Titans are not going to be the same without Henry. The Ravens have their issues. The AFC team playing the best football right now started 2-4 - the Patriots. They have won three straight and look like they could be the class of the AFC. But are they? Who knows? What I know is that anything can happen over the course of the next 8 weeks.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

You are of course spot on. It's a long season, especially with an extra game, and teams are going to wear down. The teams than manage this best, and can manage to limit injuries and have most of their starting group intact going into Jan., are going to benefit. Every team has holes, especially in the AFC. The Bengals and Bills looked like the two best teams two weeks ago. The Titans are not going to be the same without Henry. The Ravens have their issues. The AFC team playing the best football right now started 2-4 - the Patriots. They have won three straight and look like they could be the class of the AFC. But are they? Who knows? What I know is that anything can happen over the course of the next 8 weeks.
                    Did you guys see Mac Jones pulling/injuring a D player’s ankle after a strip sack? It looks like Belicheat is teaching his QB a trick or two. Can’t wait for Jones to get blind sided and blown up to get a taste of his own medicine.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Did you guys see Mac Jones pulling/injuring a D player’s ankle after a strip sack? It looks like Belicheat is teaching his QB a trick or two. Can’t wait for Jones to get blind sided and blown up to get a taste of his own medicine.
                      If you look at the play, Jones got blind-sided and the ball was jarred free. The way he explains it, he was down on the ground after being hit hard without the ball and he thought the defender had the ball and he was trying to tackle him. He didn't know that the fall was further down field. I think that's a pretty plausible explanation. I really don't think his intent was to injure, but to tackle the guy who he thought had taken the ball from him.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I’m not talking about 4.4 ypc. I’m addressing Roo’s comments about 3.62 ypc = first downs.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I don't know why 3.62 is considered good? It's simple math, 3.62 x 3 = first down!
                          Last edited by chargeroo; 11-09-2021, 02:58 PM. Reason: typo
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X