• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I’m not sure what the future holds for the LB position, but I suspect it’s lighter and faster. Right now, LBs are dinosaurs out .
    That didn’t work too well with Jatavis Brown

Comment

• Formula 21
      The Future is Now
      • Jun 2013
      • Republic of San Diego
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

That didn’t work too well with Jatavis Brown
      Playing LB hasn't worked out for many players. If I'm an OC, I'm passing at the LBs early and often.
      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
      The Wasted Decade is done.
      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I don't know why 3.62 is considered good? It's simple math, 3.62 x 3 = first down!
        That’s because no team runs it all three downs. If they did, the ypc numbers would actually drop dramatically.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

That’s because no team runs it all three downs. If they did, the ypc numbers would actually drop dramatically.
          The Eagles did in the second quarter against us. Something like 2 passes and 10-12 runs on a long TD drive

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

It is way too simplistic to say that the fix for our D is "we need more stoutness." Popper and Staley hit upon a key point.

We are bottom of the barrel in early down TFLs. StaleyD will become successful with more 2nd and Long's and 3rd and Long's.

Other StaleyD factors include the importance of field position, takeways, and sure tackling. ST improvements, Derwin's timely strip-fumble TO recently plus ASJ's picks earlier, and also Kyzir's solid play, come to mind.

We need TFLs up front !!
            K-9 ?
            Tillery ?
            JJones ?
            Somebody !!
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If you study the data on Staley's defensive philosophy it yields very few tackles for a loss in the running game. Just not designed to do that. The light box, gap and a half, 2 deep shell he uses is predicated on confusing the RB enough to slow him down so the second level can come up and tackle after maybe 2-3 yard run. The DL is supposed to tie up and mess up the blocking scheme so it alters the called play just enough to make the RB think and adjust. It fails if teams can just run directly at you without the confusion/delay. And that to me is what we have been seeing so far. Our DL is not playing the scheme right either because they just physically are not capable or they dont understand it even now. Every now and then you will see a flash where someone like Tillery will actually do it right (he did 3-4 times against Eagles) and it teases you with how effective it could be. But then the flash is gone and we see the other team just running seemingly at will.

So I am curious what he is going to do to tweak or change things to get TFL.

Oh and I love me some Linval Joseph but ranking him in the run game based on tackles is fools gold He has lots of run tackles because other teams run so much. Still impressive for a nose to be making tackles after being doubled every play, but that stat is misleading or as Staley would say, it expresses itself as an illusion.
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

On first- and second-down run defense, we have to get negative plays, and that's what's not happening at the point of attack right now.
                Brandon Staley

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  If you study the data on Staley's defensive philosophy it yields very few tackles for a loss in the running game. Just not designed to do that. The light box, gap and a half, 2 deep shell he uses is predicated on confusing the RB enough to slow him down so the second level can come up and tackle after maybe 2-3 yard run. The DL is supposed to tie up and mess up the blocking scheme so it alters the called play just enough to make the RB think and adjust. It fails if teams can just run directly at you without the confusion/delay. And that to me is what we have been seeing so far. Our DL is not playing the scheme right either because they just physically are not capable or they dont understand it even now. Every now and then you will see a flash where someone like Tillery will actually do it right (he did 3-4 times against Eagles) and it teases you with how effective it could be. But then the flash is gone and we see the other team just running seemingly at will.

So I am curious what he is going to do to tweak or change things to get TFL.

Oh and I love me some Linval Joseph but ranking him in the run game based on tackles is fools gold He has lots of run tackles because other teams run so much. Still impressive for a nose to be making tackles after being doubled every play, but that stat is misleading or as Staley would say, it expresses itself as an illusion.
                  "The Flash is Gone"...sounds like a blues song...

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    It is way too simplistic to say that the fix for our D is "we need more stoutness." Popper and Staley hit upon a key point.

We are bottom of the barrel in early down TFLs. StaleyD will become successful with more 2nd and Long's and 3rd and Long's.

Other StaleyD factors include the importance of field position, takeways, and sure tackling. ST improvements, Derwin's timely strip-fumble TO recently plus ASJ's picks earlier, and also Kyzir's solid play, come to mind.

We need TFLs up front !!
                    K-9 ?
                    Tillery ?
                    JJones ?
                    Somebody !!
                    Every D is better in 2nd and long and 3rd and long or if they get TFL on 1st. Don’t be fooled by these platitudes. Staley, what are you doing to increase the chances of TFL on early downs because right now teams are getting positive yards on the ground consistently

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Every D is better in 2nd and long and 3rd and long or if they get TFL on 1st. Don’t be fooled by these platitudes. Staley, what are you doing to increase the chances of TFL on early downs because right now teams are getting positive yards on the ground consistently
                      It is basic analytics.
                      We rank at the bottom.
                      TFLs come from EDGE, 3Techs, blitzing LBs/DBs.

I am simply pointing out that "stuffing the run" is not StaleyD. It is not about yardage allowed. It is about points allowed.

More consistency from Tillery.
                      More presence from JJones.
                      ​Emergence of K-9.
                      That kinda stuff will improve overall results.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Towards LTs last games with the Chargers, I got the sense that defensive coordinators would scheme to not necessarily stop LT but rather to stop it from translating into points
                        they recognized LT would get his rush and pass yards.

I think Staley is of the same mindset and if so I'm on board
                        Let em rush for 200 plus yard and score 13 points haha
                        P1. Block Destruction
                        P2. Shocking Effort
                        P3. Ball Disruption
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

It is basic analytics.
                          We rank at the bottom.
                          TFLs come from EDGE, 3Techs, blitzing LBs/DBs.

I am simply pointing out that "stuffing the run" is not StaleyD. It is not about yardage allowed. It is about points allowed.

More consistency from Tillery.
                          More presence from JJones.
                          ​Emergence of K-9.
                          That kinda stuff will improve overall results.
                          So Wood, would u recommend drafting or signing a solid vet Edge or 3tech? Or both?

Comment

Working...
                          X