Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post

Must have been a wonderful time to be a Charger fan!
    Games were at Balboa Stadium. How great it would be to have watched the Chargers play there.

balboa16_top-768x479.jpg

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      I don't put a lot of stock into those career stats. All kinds of things affect them - like how many years a guy plays, how much passing the team was doing when he was playing, did he have a good QB throwing it to him? When you think about it, it's remarkable that both Garrison and Alworth are high on the list since they played at the same time. Gilman's offense shared the ball very well.
      Interesting. I do because i value longevity and availability. For Keenan to be putting these numbers together means he has been able to achieve sustained excellence.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by labound View Post

Must have been a wonderful time to be a Charger fan!
        Do yourself a favor and go watch the youtube highlights of the 60's era Chargers. They have them for certain years and its pretty fascinating.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Games were at Balboa Stadium. How great it would be to have watched the Chargers play there.

balboa16_top-768x479.jpg
          Never been to that stadium, what was the seat capacity? Looks like 30k

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Here’s how we’re doing in trenches. Surprisingly well in pass rush on defense. And run blocking on offense.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Never been to that stadium, what was the seat capacity? Looks like 30k
              I think it was 35k when the Chargers played there. It was remodeled into a much smaller stadium for HS after the Chargers left Balboa Park for Mission Valley. I've never attended a game there either. But I did watch the 49ers play at Kezar Stadium in Golden Gate Park in SF two or three times in the 1960s. It was much the same type of stadium, and had about the same capacity. Kezar was also torn down and rebuilt into a much smaller stadium. But the Niners played there until 1971, until they began sharing Candlestick with the Giants. I really enjoyed going to games at Kezar. I liked it much better than going to a Giants game at Candlestick.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Nice to see the Bolts are about the 66th percentile in run blocking grade. Such an improvement over years past. Be nice to get it up to 80th percentile. Top 6 teams or so.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Do yourself a favor and go watch the youtube highlights of the 60's era Chargers. They have them for certain years and its pretty fascinating.
                  1963 AFL Championship Game at Balboa Park, when the Chargers all-steroids team annihilated the Boston Patriots. It was mostly a Keith Lincoln show, but 2nd year flanker Lance Alworth also scores.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

If my memory is right - it sat about 35,000. It had cement seats - very hard on the rear. No seatbacks. Actually pretty uncomfortable. However, the seats were so close to the field that it was almost like being on the sidelines. Those early AFL teams concentrated on getting good offensive players first so the games were fun and exciting and the Chargers were the most exciting of all of them. Sid Gilman's offense was ahead of the pack. It was easy to become hooked on the Chargers. BUT, for me, moving to the new stadium was great. The seats were very comfortable compared to Balboa stadium.

Also nice back then was the team practiced at a public park (Lake Murray) so you could drop by there any afternoon and watch them practice. The exception was raider week - Gilman chased us away when they played the raiders. I guess he feared we were scouts for Al.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Bolt-O We are now 6th in rush defense since the bye.
                      An improved run defense, creative pressures and a career game from Uchenna Nwosu powered the Chargers' impressive defensive performance.

4. The Chargers now rank sixth in rush defense EPA since the bye week, according to TruMedia. This is no longer the worst run defense in football. Are they still prone to a bad game? Yes. That was clear from the Broncos loss. But the Chargers showed up against the Bengals rushing attack, and they have been showing up now for weeks.

A perfect example was the Bengals’ two-point conversion attempt in the third quarter with the Chargers leading 24-22. A 12-men-on-the-field penalty set the Bengals up from the 1-yard line. They tried a direct run up the middle to Mixon. The Chargers stonewalled him. That is not a play this defense makes earlier in the season. It was a massive moment in the game. The Chargers scored 17 unanswered points after that goal-line stand.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                        Bolt-O We are now 6th in rush defense since the bye.
                        An improved run defense, creative pressures and a career game from Uchenna Nwosu powered the Chargers' impressive defensive performance.

They're still near the bottom in the league when it comes to run defense rankings. The only team worse is the Texans who we'll see in a couple weeks.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

They're still near the bottom in the league when it comes to run defense rankings. The only team worse is the Texans who we'll see in a couple weeks.
                          It’s about improving, which we have. That’s what you need to see as the season progresses.

Comment

Working...
                          X