• WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

Didn't June Jones coach us for awhile?
    Hell, I could be making that up!
    If so, he's gotta be up there.
    The era between Coryell and Ross was terribly horrible....and forgettable.

Edit....man, I got that wrong! Boss Ross was BETWEEN half those dudes.....

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
      Didn't June Jones coach us for awhile?
      Hell, I could be making that up!
      If so, he's gotta be up there.
      The era between Coryell and Ross was terribly horrible....and forgettable.

Edit....man, I got that wrong! Boss Ross was BETWEEN half those dudes.....
      Yes. Gilbride was fired at midyear and June Jones was the interim head coach the rest of the year.
      I heard somewhere that he was offered the Charger job the following year but declined, instead accepting the Hawaii head coaching position.

Paradise or the Spanos? Tough, tough choice.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Just... rarely in the playoffs.

He and Nate Kaeding had something in common.
        Marty generally won with Montana and Kosar in the playoffs; with the crappy qb situation in KC he generally lost (did he even win 1 game at KC?);
        with the Chargers, he was just snake bit.

Having said that, there was an overly emotional side to him that perhaps didn't suit playoff situations.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Impossible to judge.

My prime example is Staley. He coached the #1 defense last year and this year his defense is near the bottom in stats.

That screams players matter and the GM is more important than coaches.

Marty is an example of getting too much credit because Butler assembled the best team the Chargers have had since he passed away,

Look no further than John Spanos ascending to head of scouting many years ago as the real problem with this team.
          Butler brought in LT, Brees , Jammer: no small feat.
          Donnie Edwards was a Marty guy.

The rest of the players were brought in after Butler

Comment

• Maniaque 6
            French Speaking Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Québec city
            • Send PM

Schotteneimer has been one of the great Chargers coach.
            AFCW Championships 2004-2006
            M. McCree and I think it's N. Keading are responsible the Chargers have not been in SB these years.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Am I the only one who thinks we got this ?
              Playoffs baby.
              And we got Herb.
              We will be the Black Swans of this post season.
              Do not give a shit.
              We are here to compete.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

What? No Anthony Lynn? I mean he had four years of working with Telesco and drove the offensive line into the netherworld. Blamed Rivers for sucking the team and then proceeded to bury the eventual Rookie of the year. We handed the keys of the Ferrari to Barney Fife!

:shifty:
                Just curious.. Do you think the Chargers would have had a better record than 7-9 last season if the offensive line included Linsley, Slater, Feiler, and the defense included Derwin and Tranquill for most of the season? I have a tough time believing otherwise. That’s not even mentioning the loss of Ekeler last season, which was significant.

Lynn certainly had his problems with clock management and there was plenty of embarrassing ST performances as well, but the previous coaching staff found ways to remain competitive mostly in my opinion, which in and of itself is not a given. Lynn had four years to improve in those areas where he was weak / inexperience and he did not improve enough, so that’s why, and rightfully so, he is gone.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  Am I the only one who thinks we got this ?
                  Playoffs baby.
                  And we got Herb.
                  We will be the Black Swans of this post season.
                  Do not give a shit.
                  We are here to compete.
                  You might be. We weren’t in Houston to compete. I don’t actually know what to call that

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
                    Just curious.. Do you think the Chargers would have had a better record than 7-9 last season if the offensive line included Linsley, Slater, Feiler, and the defense included Derwin and Tranquill for most of the season? I have a tough time believing otherwise. That’s not even mentioning the loss of Ekeler last season, which was significant.

Lynn certainly had his problems with clock management and there was plenty of embarrassing ST performances as well, but the previous coaching staff found ways to remain competitive mostly in my opinion, which in and of itself is not a given. Lynn had four years to improve in those areas where he was weak / inexperience and he did not improve enough, so that’s why, and rightfully so, he is gone.
                    No where near perceptive enough to really capitalize on anything. His goofs and gaffs were just to much for me. I think Lynn can be a run first offensive coordinator. But not a head coach.
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Caslon
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Boss Ross rates #1 with me. Because…one game, the TV camera caught his face a deep shade of beet red while glaring at one of his players coming back to the sideline after making a bonehead costly penalty. I got the feeling players didn’t want to be in Boss Ross’s doghouse. Nowadays…Meh. Huge salaries, egos. NFLPA.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

No where near perceptive enough to really capitalize on anything. His goofs and gaffs were just to much for me. I think Lynn can be a run first offensive coordinator. But not a head coach.
                        I partially agree. I am not sure if Lynn could be even a good offensive coordinator. That’s where Steichen, Pip, Bradley, and even Whiz come in. Collectively they were at least competitive many more games than not. Lynn hired them all one way or the other and oversaw them, including the previous ST coordinator. There is no way to collectively be in that many close games and also winning 12 in a single season if neither brought anything to the table. I think loosing both Whiz and Rivers exposed the inexperience of Lynn with clock management. Lynn should have been much better in that area in year 4 as head coach no doubt.

The NFL is far too competitive though to accidentally stay competitive in that many games as the previous coaching staff did. There are so many aspects to coaching in the NFL also. I have a tough time believing that most coaches individually are not much stronger in certain areas of coaching than other areas. I thought the previous coaching staff did a solid job of game planning for an opponent, since it is very easy to get blown out against NFL competition if there is not adequate game planning and / or talent on the roster.
                        Last edited by BoltUp InLA; 12-31-2021, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Maybe I’m mistaking you for another poster here but man I could’ve swore you were on the other side of the fence here just a few weeks ago lol. Perhaps I’m mistaken though.
                          No, i think its more roster depth/talent than it is coaching. We have a handful of elite players that cover for weaknesses across the roster in other positions. If we lose just a couple of those guys, not only are the roster weaknesses not covered but they are magnified as the backups coming in are even worse. We saw it in Houston - a shitty team pounded the snot out of our back-30 roster.

I’m a Staley Fanboy. I love the new kid and new approach. He hasn’t had 9 years to perfect his craft, i expect a few bobbles and bounces early. TT has no such excuse at this point.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X