• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

Not as bad as last year’s line. Maybe Lombardi can help him out with rollouts to the left.
    ^ This...I have brought up this idea of designed rollouts to buy Herbie more time...we KNOW he throws well on the run, so why not? Why not, Lombo? Hmmm?

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post
      I am still reeling from that last loss to the Pats coming off of a bye week where the Chargers had a couple of weeks to prepare and get rested. To me, that lost was not promising at all. Not from either a personal, where a few players came back form injuries, or coaching perspective. I want so much to believe in Staley, but this last loss seems much of the same to me. With the investment in the OL and coaching change, I was really expecting more.

it’s still a long season, so hopefully the offense can get back on track. My fear is that even for Herbert, the change in offense might be tough to digest.
      ^ I wonder if during the bye, Lombo overloaded Herbie with more playbook homework to memorize, and maybe Herbie reached the point of diminishing returns...

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Interesting point by Popper:

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This...I have brought up this idea of designed rollouts to buy Herbie more time...we KNOW he throws well on the run, so why not? Why not, Lombo? Hmmm?
          One thing I’ve noticed lately. Herbert dropping way far back for a pass play. It telegraphs Herbert is gonna try a long pass. That worked early on, not so much recently. Man, does he drop way back or what? Lately he does that and then has to scramble around. Teams are covering those plays better now. (Film study). It ends up being a long bomb jump ball with that receiver pretty well covered. Often times by two defenders. Not a big fan of that type play these last two losing games. It definitely fails most times late in the game with the Chargers playing catch up. Except for that Hail Mary desperation pass last weekend. A lucky good grab.

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

One thing I’ve noticed lately. Herbert dropping way far back for a pass play. It telegraphs Herbert is gonna try a long pass. That worked early on, not so much recently. Man, does he drop way back or what? Lately he does that and then has to scramble around. Teams are covering those plays better now. (Film study). It ends up being a long bomb jump ball with that receiver pretty well covered. Often times by two defenders. Not a big fan of that type play these last two losing games. It definitely fails most times late in the game with the Chargers playing catch up. Except for that Hail Mary desperation pass last weekend. A lucky good grab.
            I admit I’m not one of those guys that notices all of these details that contribute to winning or losing a game. But I would think that the QB coach or offensive coordinator would notice these details and actively work with JH to remedy them. Does anyone think that the coaching isn’t doing they’re job or is it just taking JH a little longer to acclimate to the new offense.

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Happy to ear that !

Comment

• cmplxgal
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • New Jersey
                  • Send PM

Why Chargers LB Kenneth Murray could benefit from change in role

Set to return to the field as he will be designated to return from the IR this week after missing the last four games, Murray could be put in a position where he will have more success.

At Wednesday’s media availability, head coach Brandon Staley was asked about giving Murray snaps as an edge defender, and he replied that his role is “evolving.”

While Staley did not elaborate on his response, this could indicate that the second-year player might transition to the position moving forward.

The change might be sudden, but it could pay dividends for a group that has not had the most production as of late.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Anyone else notice they’re dropping the pass rusher opposite Slater into coverage and overloading the offensive right side. And it’s working.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      Anyone else notice they’re dropping the pass rusher opposite Slater into coverage and overloading the offensive right side. And it’s working.
                      Yep...while Norton is down, they kick him...u would think the Bolts would be smart enough to get in at least a chip on his side every pass play...but no...apparently Lazy Lombo hasn't thought of that...

Comment

• Berserker76
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...while Norton is down, they kick him...u would think the Bolts would be smart enough to get in at least a chip on his side every pass play...but no...apparently Lazy Lombo hasn't thought of that...
                        It boggles my mind that aren't trying a few things to fix this.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Oklahoma
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                          It's a no brainer. I said in the Patriots thread they will rush Norton's side and get pressure or eliminate Ekeler and Cook on most plays.
                          This reaffirms the biggest need is right tackle. With Aboushi and Bulaga gone the right side of the line is toast.

Comment

Working...
                          X