• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

That record looks better than it should. I think he was the head coach of the scab team during the 80s strike season: they went something like 6 - 1.
    Yes, the '87 season had a handful of games played by picket line crossing players.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t disagree the DC performance needs improvement, I’ll support a change to a more experienced DC. But NFL coaches cannot teach tackling anymore. They aren’t even allowed to make players practice tackling anymore. They are barely allowed to force players to run in shorts and tshirts. Players have to come to the NFL knowing how to tackle or you are fucked. This is all teams, not just the Chargers. TT has to get players who can play football because his shitty backup practice squad level of players are missing tackles that players on other teams make all over the field all game long.
      My heads going to explode on this one! Starting to fizzle...there she goes. Boom! Brains all over the floor!

:wtf:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
        Apropo of nothing--

Who was the worst Chargers head coach in the last 40 years? (This means, since '81, when Don Coryell was the HC.)

My candidates-- in no particular order:

(a) Mike Riley -- hard to bash him too bad, since he had a horrific squad of players to work with. Still-- not a good coach. 14-34 record in 3 seasons.

(b) Kevin Gilbride -- team sources confided that Gilbride screamed at EVERYbody: those above him, those below him, and those who were on his level. He alienated Junior Seau, which wasn't easy to do. Had a 6-16 record in 1-plus season. Never got another HC opportunity.

(c) Mike McCoy-- Mike was given far too many seasons (4) to prove he was unfit for the job, which he was. He was not a leader of men, and an embarrassment when addressing the media. McCoy lost two NFL Offensive Coordinator positions in three years after being dismissed by the Chargers. Over. His. Head. The Chargers went 27-37 in McCoy's years at the helm.

(d) Al Saunders-- took over for Don Coryell after Coryell was forced out in '86. He was so transparently two-faced with the media that it was easy to believe rumors that he was a lying-in-wait opportunist who agreed to take over the team while Coryell was still in charge. He compiled a 17-22 record in his almost-3 years as HC, and never got another NFL head coaching job.

(e) Dan Henning-- Henning coached the Bolts the same length of time Mike Riley did, and had just two more wins to show for it. 16-32. Somebody evidently thought that Henning's quarterback expertise could make good players out of guys like Billy Joe Tolliver, John Friesz, and Mark Vlasic. They were wrong.

There you have it, folks. Who's your pick?
        What? No Anthony Lynn? I mean he had four years of working with Telesco and drove the offensive line into the netherworld. Blamed Rivers for sucking the team and then proceeded to bury the eventual Rookie of the year. We handed the keys of the Ferrari to Barney Fife!

:shifty:

Comment

• Fan1970
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2021
          • Send PM

Apropo of nothing--

Who was the worst Chargers head coach in the last 40 years? (This means, since '81, when Don Coryell was the HC.)

My candidates-- in no particular order:

(a) Mike Riley -- hard to bash him too bad, since he had a horrific squad of players to work with. Still-- not a good coach. 14-34 record in 3 seasons.

(b) Kevin Gilbride -- team sources confided that Gilbride screamed at EVERYbody: those above him, those below him, and those who were on his level. He alienated Junior Seau, which wasn't easy to do. Had a 6-16 record in 1-plus season. Never got another HC opportunity.

(c) Mike McCoy-- Mike was given far too many seasons (4) to prove he was unfit for the job, which he was. He was not a leader of men, and an embarrassment when addressing the media. McCoy lost two NFL Offensive Coordinator positions in three years after being dismissed by the Chargers. Over. His. Head. The Chargers went 27-37 in McCoy's years at the helm.

(d) Al Saunders-- took over for Don Coryell after Coryell was forced out in '86. He was so transparently two-faced with the media that it was easy to believe rumors that he was a lying-in-wait opportunist who agreed to take over the team while Coryell was still in charge. He compiled a 17-22 record in his almost-3 years as HC, and never got another NFL head coaching job.

(e) Dan Henning-- Henning coached the Bolts the same length of time Mike Riley did, and had just two more wins to show for it. 16-32. Somebody evidently thought that Henning's quarterback expertise could make good players out of guys like Billy Joe Tolliver, John Friesz, and Mark Vlasic. They were wrong.

There you have it, folks. Who's your pick?
          Too bad Riley couldn’t convince the Chargers’ GM to draft Tom Brady. He was a bigger supporter of Brady than Belichick.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

What? No Anthony Lynn? I mean he had four years of working with Telesco and drove the offensive line into the netherworld. Blamed Rivers for sucking the team and then proceeded to bury the eventual Rookie of the year. We handed the keys of the Ferrari to Barney Fife!

:shifty:
            The Chargers had 16 head coaches before Brandon Staley. Lynn was one of the seven to have a winning record.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

The Chargers had 16 head coaches before Brandon Staley. Lynn was one of the seven to have a winning record.
              That was when Phillip Rivers was running the offense for his first two years so it really doesn't count (Rivers was the real head coach and Lynn was riding his coattails). LOL!

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Back to the discussion of this season...

If all our units are healthy, I think we can play with anybody in the league. So far this season, that has rarely happened. Other teams can weather this problem, but we have had difficulty due to mediocre depth. A few scrubs have stepped up, but mostly we see a marked drop off when there are multiple second stringers out there. So, problem 1 is depth.

Being able to play with anybody isn't the same as being dominant. A championship team typically dominates teams like the Texans, Denver, Vikings...and puts away games like Dallas and the Chiefs rematch. We are a few pieces away from dominance. Problem 2...incomplete starting lineup.

No matter how it all ends, we are heading in the right direction....and if we do miss the playoffs, we get some more high draft picks, along with a ton of cap space. The future is bright. I know it's maddening to gain such notoriety, have such success...only to see us drop some games so stupidly, and look like chumps again....I know we are all tired of being patient....but I really think its going to be different this time. We overachieved this year. Second year QB, First year HC? I think our early success, and a couple of other great games made us look like a more finished product, than what we actually are.

Funny enough, we may continue to overachieve...if we manage to limp into the playoffs, and get most of our pieces back, I think anything can happen...but if it doesn't work out, I'm not gonna lose my shit over this season...but my expectations for next year, for TT, Staley, and this team, will be high.
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Apropo of nothing--

Interesting, but start a new topic for this. This was a hijack.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
                    Back to the discussion of this season...

If all our units are healthy, I think we can play with anybody in the league. So far this season, that has rarely happened. Other teams can weather this problem, but we have had difficulty due to mediocre depth. A few scrubs have stepped up, but mostly we see a marked drop off when there are multiple second stringers out there. So, problem 1 is depth.

Being able to play with anybody isn't the same as being dominant. A championship team typically dominates teams like the Texans, Denver, Vikings...and puts away games like Dallas and the Chiefs rematch. We are a few pieces away from dominance. Problem 2...incomplete starting lineup.

No matter how it all ends, we are heading in the right direction....and if we do miss the playoffs, we get some more high draft picks, along with a ton of cap space. The future is bright. I know it's maddening to gain such notoriety, have such success...only to see us drop some games so stupidly, and look like chumps again....I know we are all tired of being patient....but I really think its going to be different this time. We overachieved this year. Second year QB, First year HC? I think our early success, and a couple of other great games made us look like a more finished product, than what we actually are.

Funny enough, we may continue to overachieve...if we manage to limp into the playoffs, and get most of our pieces back, I think anything can happen...but if it doesn't work out, I'm not gonna lose my shit over this season...but my expectations for next year, for TT, Staley, and this team, will be high.
                    We’ve had this same “headed in right direction” sensation before. The question I have is can TT add new improved pieces faster than the current good pieces wither, decay or depart? So far, I haven’t seen he can add new good pieces much faster than he loses existing good pieces. Hitting for average won’t do it.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• UglyTruth
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2018
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I’d add that while all coaching and coaches can and should learn and improve - what I am seeing more than that is our players getting beat 1x1, hat on hat, pad on pad. when 4, 5, 6 defenders get beat 1x1, its going to be a long day.

Talent wins. We have a sprinkling of stars scattered across a mediocre roster. Lose just one or two of those stars and the roster is below average. Texans example is perfect - they were playing backups just like we were. Their backups are just better. we were putting 8 in the box and still getting the ball rammed down their throat, with DL and LBs pushed 5 yards off the line before they even have a chance to try and tackle a RB. Thats not scheme, thats your players getting their asses handed to them. There is no defensive scheme to counter all of your players getting their dicks ground into the dirt.

Staley had a top 5 defense with good players. He is not the common denominator in this equation.
                      Maybe I’m mistaking you for another poster here but man I could’ve swore you were on the other side of the fence here just a few weeks ago lol. Perhaps I’m mistaken though.
                      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Interesting, but start a new topic for this. This was a hijack.
                        My apologies. I figured the "season discussion" thread was the right place for this. You'd prefer a new thread?

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

Man, try telling that to thousands of Bolt fans who came and represented in Houston only to suffer in person a most horrific effort from their team. Tell you what though, very classy bunch, loyal to a fault, took it well but how many more losses like this can the normal, working fans take?

Hard discussion with ownership, GM and Head Coach needs to happen until more clarity of direction and commitment to a common purpose is reached. Telesco needs to take a hard look at his previous drafts as well his free agent signings and releases. Staley needs more say so in players who fit his system and trouble makers (non-fits) traded or released.

Was all in on bringing Hunter Henry back even if it meant matching Patriot offer. Other than Keenan, Henry sure seemed like Justin Herbert’s favorite target, plus blocker as well. On other hand Jared Cook other than “played all of one half of one game Bulaga” the most disappointing free agent and Hunter Henry replacement, costing Chargers several games (2-3) because he’s not been on the same page, running the wrong route, not reading coverage, dropping TD targets, with Justin. Just this one move alone probably cost Chargers those 2 or 3 games. We would already be locked in the playoffs with 10-5 record.

So who is responsible for this move? And they need to be held accountable in order not to repeat same mistake again.

Comment

Working...
                          X