• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Merrill is a PS guy. He's been playing against 3s. He really needs work on his change of direction to play vs true NFL speed.

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Also I would like to add some positivity:

This draft looks like it added 4 starting quality guys (Slater, Samuel, Palmer, Jaimes) and 3 depth/teams guys who may not have starting NFL traits (Rumph/Rountree/Niemann). Webb is a developmental guy so grade is incomplete for a couple years. McKitty looked bad on draft day, bad after draft day, and still bad today.

That's a solid foundational draft the year after getting Herbert.

Feiler and Fackrell are looking like Goff/Godfrey level vet contributers (Fackrell a 1 year deal, we should extend). That's not even mentioning Linsley.

There's a lot reminding me of the 2004 era right now.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

This draft looks like it added 4 starting quality guys (Slater, Samuel, Palmer, Jaimes) and 3 depth/teams guys who may not have starting NFL traits (Rumph/Rountree/Niemann). Webb is a developmental guy so grade is incomplete for a couple years. McKitty looked bad on draft day, bad after draft day, and still bad today.

Feiler and Fackrell are looking like Goff/Godfrey level vet contributers (Fackrell a 1 year deal, we should extend). That's not even mentioning Linsley.

The only one I’m still a little bitter about is McKitty when Elijah Molden was still available. Molden looks incredible so far. Dude would have been perfect in Staley’s D.
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Does Nabors stick around in an old school position with a new school coach? Did he even play yesterday? We could have used him in there to help pass protect yesterday, but Staley thought it was better to let his QBs get beaten like a rented mule.

But for me, we need OTs, but Pipkins will just lose games for you and maybe get Herbert on IR.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

You got this all from 2 games of preseason? 2004 era? Wow.
            Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
            - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
            - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
            - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
            - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

You got this all from 2 games of preseason? 2004 era? Wow.
              You can go to your room and listen to emo if you don't like it.

Comment

• UglyTruth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2018
                • Send PM

You can go to your room and listen to emo if you don't like it.
                LOL. Mac Jones must also be the greatest QB in football history if we’re going by this…
                Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Funny, as I’ve read/seen Cortez having a great camp. Multiple sacks and TFLs, flashing impressive burst, leverage, play strength, and is wreaking havoc on stunts.

Merrill is making the most of his opportunities against the 3’s but Fehoko and Gaziano are ahead of him. Possible PS candidate for sure.
                  Broughton will be our 5th DL.
                  I remember that you touted him and Kyzir.
                  :beer:
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                    Does Nabors stick around in an old school position with a new school coach? Did he even play yesterday? We could have used him in there to help pass protect yesterday, but Staley thought it was better to let his QBs get beaten like a rented mule..
                    So, I've heard some discussion about how Nabors and Oregon UDFA Hunter Kampmoyer are competing for the same roster spot.

If you don't see Kampmoyer do anything, Nabers' job is probably safe.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post

Cortez Broughton

It seems like he's invisible to me. Don't think I've read his name in training camp reports or seen him make a noteworthy play in preseason or any other games. Is he worth keeping over the fire hydrant that is Forrest Merrill, who manages to make a noteworthy play or two in each of the last two preseason games? I don't know. Seems like he's firmly in the DL5 spot, but should he be?
                      Here’s a snippet from Popper’s most recent article.

DL Cortez Broughton

Joseph, Jones, Tillery and free-agent signing Christian Covington were always locks to make this roster. But the bottom of the depth chart at defensive line was completely up in the air entering camp. After 17 practices and two preseason games, we are starting to get some clarity. And that is largely because Broughton appears to have taken a huge step as he enters his third NFL season. He has been a steady presence in the run game. He has created pressure as a pass rusher. He even had an interception on a pass he batted to himself in practice last week. Broughton had two pressures and a tackle for loss in Sunday’s game. He will make this roster as the fifth defensive lineman thanks to his performance.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Nabors is a core Teamer.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Anyways, here’s the full article. Popper’s stock evaluation of players after the second preseason game. Crazy to see Kyzir White bounce back.

The Chargers fell to the 49ers, 15-10, in their second preseason game Sunday at SoFi Stadium. This followed two joint practices with San Francisco on Thursday and Friday.

More than a quarter of the roster did not dress for the game — 23 players to be exact: QB Justin Herbert, S Derwin James, WR Keenan Allen, edge rusher Joey Bosa, RB Austin Ekeler, DL Linval Joseph, WR Mike Williams, CB Chris Harris Jr., OT Rashawn Slater, C Corey Linsley, RB Justin Jackson, TE Jared Cook, OT Bryan Bulaga, DL Justin Jones, TE Donald Parham, DL Jerry Tillery, WR Jason Moore, edge rusher Emeke Egbule, WR Joe Reed, FB Gabe Nabers, edge rusher Chris Rumph, WR Austin Proehl and LS Cole Mazza.

Some of these absences were injury related. Most of them were veteran days off. Either way, we got a good, long look at some of the Chargers’ depth pieces, many of whom are battling for roster spots.

We have watched four practices and a preseason game since our last stock report. Training camp is officially over. It is time to reset. Who is trending up? Who is trending down?

Stock up

LB Kyzir White
                          White was one of the Chargers’ best defensive playmakers during camp, and the coaching staff is starting to reward that production. White has jumped Drue Tranquill as the starting inside linebacker next to Kenneth Murray. He started over Tranquill in Sunday’s game and has been the first inside linebacker on the field with the first team alongside Murray. This is not necessarily a knock on Tranquill, who has played well and showed some explosiveness as a blitzer and run defender. White has just been flying in this defense. Brandon Staley’s scheme is properly utilizing White’s combination of speed, physicality and coverage skills. Between White, Murray and Tranquill, Staley has a very deep linebacker group. I expect Tranquill to still be a key rotational piece this season even if all three linebackers stay healthy. But White deserves recognition for having an outstanding camp.

Edge rusher Kyler Fackrell
                          When the Chargers signed Fackrell in free agency in March, the fit made a ton of sense. They needed edge rusher depth behind Bosa and Uchenna Nwosu. And they needed experience and reliability on special teams. Fackrell provided both at a very reasonable price. Since the start of training camp, though, Fackrell has challenged Nwosu for the starting edge rusher spot opposite Bosa. And now, I see him ahead of Nwosu for that starting role. He has simply been the more consistent player. Fackrell had two pressures and a sack in Sunday’s game. Coming from a 3-4 scheme with the Giants in 2020, Fackrell is comfortable with the responsibilities of playing edge rusher in Staley’s scheme, both getting after the quarterback and dropping into coverage. Nwosu will still play a lot, so no need to overreact to this. Fackrell has just earned a sizable role in this defense. I think he could realistically garner a majority of the reps at edge rusher opposite Bosa early on this regular season.

DL Cortez Broughton
                          Joseph, Jones, Tillery and free-agent signing Christian Covington were always locks to make this roster. But the bottom of the depth chart at defensive line was completely up in the air entering camp. After 17 practices and two preseason games, we are starting to get some clarity. And that is largely because Broughton appears to have taken a huge step as he enters his third NFL season. He has been a steady presence in the run game. He has created pressure as a pass rusher. He even had an interception on a pass he batted to himself in practice last week. Broughton had two pressures and a tackle for loss in Sunday’s game. He will make this roster as the fifth defensive lineman thanks to his performance.

QB Easton Stick
                          Stick started Sunday’s loss and outplayed Chase Daniel — even if Daniel was playing behind a struggling offensive line. I still see some inconsistencies with Stick’s throwing accuracy in practice. But the positive parts of his skill set are really intriguing. He is an excellent scrambler and can make plays in off-platform situations. Stick showed that Sunday with his touchdown pass to Joshua Palmer in the first half. Staley said Sunday that the Chargers are going to allow this competition to play out all the way to final cuts on Aug. 31. Who gives the Chargers the best chance to compete if Herbert goes down? That is the question Staley and general manager Tom Telesco must answer. I still think Daniel’s intelligence and experience in the scheme give him the leg up in this competition. Stick was in our stock down group last week. But he showed up in Sunday’s game.

K Michael Badgley
                          Badgley, like Stick, was in our stock down group last week. But he had an excellent week of practice, while Tristan Vizcaino struggled. Badgley got the start in Sunday’s game and hit a 50-yard field goal in the first half, with plenty of room to spare. Both of his kickoffs went for touchbacks, as well. Vizcaino did not get an opportunity to kick a field goal. Badgley has turned his performance around. This is a neck-and-neck battle at the moment. But if Badgley continues on this trajectory — and, most importantly, keeps connecting on field goals over 45 yards — he should win the kicker spot.

DL Breiden Fehoko
                          With the top five spots on the defensive line locked up, there is, at most, one spot still up for grabs. The Chargers are not definitely going to keep six defensive linemen. That sixth player must create that spot for himself with solid defensive performance and special-teams aptitude. Right now, Fehoko is providing both. The former undrafted free agent had two flash run stuffs on defense in Sunday’s game. He also was on the first-team kick return unit. He has been the best defensive lineman of the group of depth players, ahead of Forrest Merrill, Joe Gaziano, Frederick Smith Jr., Willie Yarbaryand Chris Okoye. Merrill is close on his heels, though. I think Merrill should end up on the practice squad.

Stock down

WR Tyron Johnson
                          Johnson had a weird game Sunday. Despite Allen and Williams both sitting out, Johnson was the fifth wide receiver in the game and did not see the field until the second quarter. Palmer, Jalen Guyton, K.J. Hill and John Hurstall got reps before he did. Johnson caught four balls in 39 snaps but only averaged 2.8 yards per reception. His long was a 7-yard catch. Johnson also struggled to get lined up correctly on two straight plays early in the fourth quarter, one of which led to a delay of game. This came after Johnson was pulled off the field by Staley after he started jawing with a 49ers defensive back during one-on-ones in Thursday’s practice. This is a competitive battle, and Staley and offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi are looking for, above all else, smart and sound receivers. Will Johnson’s big-play ability be enough to earn him a roster spot?

OT Trey Pipkins
                          Pipkins had a really bad game Sunday. There is really no other way to explain it. The Chargers left him on an island at right tackle early in the contest, and Pipkins did not meet the challenge. At this point, I do not see how they can rely on him as a swing tackle. And if he is not filling that spot, I do not see his value on the roster. Still, I would be surprised if the Chargers cut him. Releasing Pipkins would be an admission from Telesco that he missed on this pick when he selected Pipkins in the third round in 2019.

Edge rusher Emeke Egbule
                          Egbule was flashing early in camp, and I thought he was pushing for a roster spot. But he missed both of the joint practices and the preseason game with an injury, and those are valuable reps that Egbule did not participate in. I have the former sixth-round pick off my 53-man at this juncture.

LS Ryan Langan
                          Langan and Mazza were the two long snappers battling for the open roster spot to start camp. But Langan, surprisingly, did not play in Sunday’s game despite Mazza being out with a shoulder injury. Veteran Matt Overton, who the Chargers signed last week, got all nine snaps at long snapper in the game. Overton is 36 years old and has played more than 100 NFL games. It is not like he needs the work. To me, this was a sign that the Chargers were trying to get their own evaluation of Overton. And it is also a sign that Langan, who had two high snaps in Thursday’s field goal period, is merely a camp body. If Mazza’s shoulder injury lingers into the regular season, I think Overton will be the Chargers’ long snapper.

LB Amen Ogbongbemiga
                          In recent weeks, it seemed as though Ogbongbemiga had the best chance of any undrafted free agent to make the 53-man roster. He was showing composure defensively and was a key core-four special-teams piece. But he suffered a shoulder injury in the first defensive series Sunday and only played five total snaps — three on defense and two on special teams. Ogbongbemiga was in a sling on the sideline. Staley said after the game that it was an AC joint sprain. Any time missed for Ogbongbemiga significantly hampers his chances of making the 53-man.

Comment

Working...
                          X