• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

He may have slipped and kept going forwars. Who knows? He wasn't down for long. He definitely slanted into the guard and felt the tackle coming over. He had multiple snaps attacking that gap where Leno didn't reach him.

I ducked through that gap like that multiple times in HS, but I'm 5'9".

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t know I’ve ever seen that exact move before, true. I didn’t say i have. But you’ve shifted again. you can keep sliding your goalposts around until you finally hit that field goal. you said was he didnt defeat the block, yet he most certainly did. Now you’re coaching the players that beating a block doessn’t count unless they engage straight into them with, what was it, their hands, feet and legs? Did I get that right?
      No, he didn't defeat it. Covington fell down and got up faster than the other guy. If he had won on the play, it would have put him in position to make a real play and not rely on the O being surprised to make the tackle. They never coach guys to make plays off their feet, because if you do, you are out of position to make the tackle unless you get lucky and have the RB get his cleats tangled up in your jersey, which is pretty much what happened.

Again, it is the old coaching thing. Coaches get players to do things the right way every time, and then the other stuff takes care of itself if 11 guy are doing things right. Right now, the DL is hopeing to make plays, running around a leaving holes for the RB to gash us. Gibson did last week. Both Dallas RB did this week.

The idea behind a 34 D is that the DL TAKES ON blockers, and then the faster guys behind can run in and make the play. If the DL is going to leave big gapping holes in the middle of the line, not force the RB to bounce it outside, then the rest of the scheme is wasted. Everyone has to do their job, or it won't work. Today it didn't do so well, mostly because the DL was just not very good. THey aren't the only ones to make mistakes, but they made a lot of them.

And that is pretty clear why a guy with the kind of physical skills that Covington has was a street FA for us to sign. He gets lucky once in a great while, and then takes himself out of way more plays than he makes. He is not going to be in the NFL that much longer if he start to play the scheme the way it is supposed to be played.

Comment

• UglyTruth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2018
        • Send PM

Looking at the Chargers schedule, they likely lose at least 3 of the next 5 games. Most likely lose 4 of the next 5 with maybe beating the Raiders or Browns.

Really needed the win against the Cowboys to keep up.
        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
          Looking at the Chargers schedule, they likely lose at least 3 of the next 5 games. Most likely lose 4 of the next 5 with maybe beating the Raiders or Browns.

Thanks, the exact opposite will now happen! Break a leg kinda thing!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Chargers have a tough schedule. They needed that W yesterday.

Comment

• UglyTruth
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Thanks, the exact opposite will now happen! Break a leg kinda thing!
              Hope so.
              Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
              - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
              - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
              - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
              - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
              - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
              - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

That's the spirit.
                KC looks beatable to me. It's nice to win every game but division opponents are more important.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  BetterToday ThanYesterday
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Chargers have a tough schedule. They needed that W yesterday.
                  You think we have it bad? Look at the Broncos. They had to play the Giants. Then they had to play the Jaguars. And now they have to play the Jets. That is a murdrers' row If I have ever seen one

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

You think we have it bad? Look at the Broncos. They had to play the Giants. Then they had to play the Jaguars. And now they have to play the Jets. That is a murdrers' row If I have ever seen one

TG
                    They're going to accidently back into winning the division with those opponents. LOL!

:whistlin:
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

I remember thinking our first 6 games were the hardest part of our schedule before the season started. We'll see how teams are playing when we get to them.

Comment

• I watched a few of the press conferences available at Chargers.com and one thing that struck me. Nobody seemed to bent out of shape about the loss, in particular Staley. Just a matter of fact approach. I would say thats a positive in some kinda way. Not the normal "bad mood - playoffs playoffs! -you play to win the game" stuff. Early in the season I guess.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

If the Chargers are 3-3 at the bye - with who they play, thats pretty good. They need to beat the Raiders for sure. Need to win AFC games. Browns can run the ball but the Texans scored on them, so did the Chiefs. So maybe their Defense is not as good. Baltimore - again, a running team.

Comment

Working...
                          X