• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

He’s looking at the only option Telesco gave him. Next years draft.

He needs an Aaron Donald type on the DL and a better edge rusher than the two imposters that allow Bosa to be tripled teamed.

seriously, I’d like to see the top three picks used on the D front seven. We are dead last against the run and neutralizing Bosa castrates QB pressure.
    Every D needs an Aaron Donald type. There are very few football players that are comparable.

Chances are not good they'll ever find one.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

He’s looking at the only option Telesco gave him. Next years draft.

He needs an Aaron Donald type on the DL and a better edge rusher than the two imposters that allow Bosa to be tripled teamed.

seriously, I’d like to see the top three picks used on the D front seven. We are dead last against the run and neutralizing Bosa castrates QB pressure.
      The other edge rushers opposite Bosa aren’t the problem. They’re not going to get to the QB if the opposing team are always in third and short situations where they can run or pass. We don’t need an Aaron Donald (though it would be nice). We just need someone to help the run defense and get opponents in obvious passing situations.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

The Chargers offensive line had a bounce-back performance in pass protection Sunday, and it was a primary reason Brandon Staley’s team left Philadelphia with a victory.

The Chargers allowed just four pressures to a talented Eagles front on Justin Herbert’s 40 dropbacks, according to Pro Football Focus. It was the fewest pressures the Chargers have allowed in any game this season, and it came one week after the group combined to allow 17 pressures to the Patriots in a loss at SoFi Stadium. Most notably, right tackle Storm Norton only allowed one pressure against the Eagles, the fewest he has allowed in any start this season. Norton had allowed 32 pressures over his previous six starts, including eight against New England.

Watching the film, the pass protection improved because of three major developments in this game.

1. Offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi leaned heavily on the quick passing game, getting the ball out of Herbert’s hand on timing routes in the short area of the field. This took a considerable amount of pressure off the offensive line, and particularly the two tackles, Rashawn Slater and Norton. Herbert averaged 2.19 seconds from snap to throw on his 38 attempts, his quickest time to throw in any game this season, according to TruMedia. Herbert is one of only seven quarterbacks this season to post a time-to-throw average under 2.20 seconds. Three of those quarterbacks — Patrick Mahomes, Derek Carr and Herbert — did so against the Eagles, so the opposition certainly played a part in executing this aspect of the game plan. The quick game helped Herbert be very efficient on early downs. As a result, the Chargers were able to avoid the dreaded known passing situations on third-and-longs. They only faced three third downs of more than 6 yards to gain. Herbert’s 0.53 expected points added per dropback on early downs ranked third in the league in Week 9.

2. The Chargers executed their chip plan more or less to perfection. They had an extra protector in on more than a third of Herbert’s pass attempts, according to my charting. On at least nine of those dropbacks, the Chargers targeted the help to Norton on the right side. On several passing plays, tight ends Jared Cookand Donald Parham chipped before heading out on their routes. On others, they stayed in to pass protect and did not run routes. Austin Ekeler, Joshua Kelley and Larry Rountree also provided chip help to the edges and up the middle on passing plays. I only counted four five-man protections on Herbert’s 40 dropbacks. On all three of those plays, Herbert got the ball out to a receiver or tight end on quick timing routes. When the Chargers did get into third-and-long situations, Lombardi dialed up max protection blocking schemes that stymied the Eagles’ pressure attempts.

3. Lombardi was able to get to more quarterback-movement play calls, largely off play action. Herbert ran eight bootlegs and a sprint out in the game, and the Chargers had a lot of success when moving the pocket. One was the longest completion of the game to Mike Williams. Another was the Chargers’ opening touchdown of the game to Stephen Anderson.

Here are three plays that highlight how the Chargers executed Lombardi’s plan of attack.
        Quick game

The tight ends were instrumental in Herbert’s production in the quick game Sunday in Philadelphia. Cook, Parham and Anderson combined for 11 catches for 126 yards, two touchdowns and a two-point conversion. They were able to find holes in the Eagles’ coverages on short flat routes, and then they created after the catch.

On a play late in the first quarter, the Chargers lined up in an empty shotgun formation with three receivers — Cook, Keenan Allen and Kelley — to the left.

Kelley, a running back, went in motion pre-snap from the left side of the formation to the right. No Eagles defender followed him, indicating zone coverage.

At the snap, Allen ran straight ahead on a rub route, shielding the flat defender. Cook sprinted into the flat with no one covering him.

Herbert hit Cook in stride, getting the ball out in less than two seconds.

Cook rumbled down the sideline for a 23-yard gain.

Herbert connected on these quick timing throws throughout the game. Allen was also a major factor in the quick game. He caught 12 of his 13 targets.
        Chipping

The Chargers were determined to avoid pressure on third-and-long in this game, and they succeeded. On both of their third-and-long conversions — one in the first quarter and one in the fourth quarter — the Chargers kept extra blockers in pass protection to give Herbert the necessary time to find his receiver downfield.

The Chargers’ third-and-9 conversion on the first play of the fourth quarter was one of the biggest conversions of the game for the offense. The game was tied at 17, and the Chargers were at midfield.

Herbert set up in shotgun with Kelley split to his left. Allen was outside to the left, with Cook inside of him. Williams was outside to the left, with Jalen Guyton inside of him.

At the snap, the Chargers had eight players in protection. The Eagles only rushed four. Guyton and Cook both chipped on the edges, and Kelley set up next to Herbert to account for any interior pressure.

After their chips, Cook and Guyton released. Kelley also released on a check down up the middle.

Allen ran a 15-yard curl route from his position on the right side of the formation.

The protection held up, largely due to the chip help on the edges, and Herbert fired a missile to Allen for a first down.

Quarterback movement

Coming out of the bye week, Staley and Lombardi wanted to implement and call more pocket-movement plays to take advantage of Herbert’s athleticism. That did not materialize in the Patriots game. It was a huge part of the game plan against the Eagles.

The first-quarter touchdown pass to Anderson was particularly good design from Lombardi.

The Chargers lined up at the Eagles 2-yard line in heavy goal-line personnel. They had an extra offensive lineman in the game in Senio Kelemete, No. 68. Cook and Parham were in the game as tight ends on the right and left edges, respectively. Anderson was lined up at fullback.

All 11 offensive players were in the goal line frame on the film.

As Herbert took the snap from under center, Anderson sold a fake to the left as if he was the lead blocker.

But as Herbert reached out and pulled back for the fake handoff, Anderson broke back to his right.

Herbert escaped to his right as Anderson ran uncovered into the flat.

And it was an easy pitch and catch for the touchdown.

This is the recipe for the Chargers. This is how they can create efficient offense despite the weaknesses they have on the right side in pass protection.

It will not look this good every week, as Lombardi alluded to Thursday.

“It’s always your preference,” Lombardi said. “Every team presents a different challenge. Sometimes it works out that you’re able to play like that. Other times it doesn’t. And so it just happened to be one of those Sundays where it worked out according to plan, and it’s always satisfying. But it doesn’t guarantee that you’re always able to execute in that fashion week to week, but it’s always your goal.”

But the formula is there. The standard has been set. We will see if the Chargers can execute similarly against a more complex and daunting Vikings defense coached by Mike Zimmer.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

4 pressures? I’d call that a franchise record. I don’t think we’ve ever been that low in the TT era.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

From picture 4 to picture 5, one of the dbs near Allen disappeared. They have 10 defenders on the field. Alien abduction?
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              From picture 4 to picture 5, one of the dbs near Allen disappeared. They have 10 defenders on the field. Alien abduction?

That used to be such a thing. All those people who swore they were beamed up and experimented on. Where'd that go?

Comment

• COLDCUT
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Temecula
                • Highwayman
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

YES! I noticed the same thing - WTF?!?

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

NFL Week 10 Offensive Line Rankings

By Sam Monson, PFF
                  Nov 10, 2021

9. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS (UP 1)

Best-graded: C Corey Linsley | 86.1

Worst-graded: T Storm Norton | 50.5

The Chargers having a good offensive line seems almost antithetical to what we know about the team, but it proves that one can overhaul a bad unit with enough determination. Matt Feiler is having a career year as a modest free-agent acquisition to play one guard spot, while Corey Linsley and Rashawn Slater — the two higher profile additions — are both backing up their investment. If offensive linemen won such awards, then Slater would be the Offensive Rookie of the Year through nine weeks. He has allowed just 12 total pressures in eight games despite having to block Myles Garrett in one of them.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

I’ve always wanted an OL ranked 16 or higher, so I’m thrilled by this.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      1. Offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi leaned heavily on the quick passing game, getting the ball out of Herbert's hand on timing routes in the short area of the field. This took a considerable amount of pressure off the offensive line, and particularly the two tackles, Rashawn Slater and Norton. Herbert averaged 2.19 seconds from snap to throw on his 38 attempts, his quickest time to throw in any game this season, according to TruMedia.
                      So now we know why Lombo didn't dial up any long bombs to Guyton...went with short pass game...

Comment

• BT3241
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2020
                        • Send PM

I'm still waiting for Bosa to own a game he's been good but he has not completely dominated a game yet like he use to.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BT3241 View Post
                          I'm still waiting for Bosa to own a game he's been good but he has not completely dominated a game yet like he use to.
                          Hard to do when you are double teamed, maybe triple teamed. I guess you don't notice that
                          That's called a lack of talent along the DL to help out.

Comment

Working...
                          X