• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SYB
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
    Ok seriously I haven't been this excited for an upcoming season in my life. LOL! Approaching giddy level. Holy hell! :koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

I mean. The freakin OC's name alone. I was aware of him as a coach that's it.

I am thinking of making a significant wager quickly for the Chargers to win Super Bowl LVI. Never made a Futures beat before. Beginners luck. :chuckle::chuckle:

If I get 12 likes I will do it.
    :toyou::what::smoking::smoking:
    I've never been a gambler, or I would have made a good chunk of change the year the Ravens won with Dilfer. I just had a feeling they'd win it all that year, before training camp even started. I was so convincing that my co-worker ended up putting some cash on them and got paid handsomely.

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Absolutely. Brees was a wizard throwing to all parts of the field
      I always thought the heir to Sean Payton would be pete carmichael with regard to the scheme. He probably still is but as a qb coach, Lombardi should know that offense inside/out.
      Years ago maybe. His arm is weak AF now.

Comment

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post
        Predictable, conservative and not innovative. Terrible choice. You should not be ranked 27th in offense if you have stafford, megatron, bush and Ebron, I don’t care if it’s your first stint as a coach.

They ranked 7th and 1st in pass percentage (versus running) in his two years as OC. That is a good sign in general.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
          For some perspective Daboll’s first 4 years as OC his offenses were ranked 29th, 31st, 20th, and 32nd. With the Bills he’s gone 30th, 23rd, and then 2nd this year. Everyone was fine with him bringing in his offense. While there is a talent disparity between those teams and the Lions team Lombardi was on there’s also a lack of success with Daboll over a much larger body of work. Lombardi has had a lot of time to study with one of the best offensive minds in football while Daboll has spent most of his career around defensive minded HCs.

I’m not super excited by this hire but if you’re willing to give Daboll a chance running this offense I don’t think it’s out of hand to say you should be able to give Lombardi a chance.
          The difference is that Stafford was better than the QBs Daboll was working with until this season. DET's lack of points scored is a concern, but the run/pass distribution was just about right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltsfan70 View Post
            Maybe Stick can now be our Hill
            No way in heck would I want Herbert off of the field.

Comment

• Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
              Good listen. Joe has a good ability to explain in limited wording.

I just listened to the press conference. He sounds pretty aggressive in his approach and I liked his response on 4th down tactics. That plus his past run/pass tendencies (7th and 1st in pass percentage with Detroit) leave me with the impression that we may be just fine on offense, which is a huge relief.

I mean ordinarily I would think that with Herbert and good receivers and a less than good running attack that it would be pretty obvious that we should be at or near the top in our percentage of passes versus runs, but we just saw a head coach spend an entire season not getting that (as we finished 17th in pass percentage), so Staley's OC choice is critical for us in avoiding bad losses that should have been wins that we saw so many times in the 2020 season.

So far, it seems like we could have done a lot worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Just because I like to stir the pot:
                The Saints were 10th in YPC. We were 30th.

I can't believe we ran the ball 53% of the time on first down. Talk about stupidity based upon where our talent is and is not. Good riddance to Anthony Lynn.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

We need a Lombardi to Hoist a Lombardi!

:cheers:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The Saints were 10th in YPC. We were 30th.

I can't believe we ran the ball 53% of the time on first down. Talk about stupidity based upon where our talent is and is not. Good riddance to Anthony Lynn.
                    agree, and we should probably look at how often we ran or dumped off a pass to a RB on all 3 downs..... a game commentator mentioned late this season that Chargers led the NFL in plays to the RB..... if we keep that up, drafting 2 stud RB's would be a priority.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Saints have some touch decisions
                      Ramzcyk
                      Lattimore
                      Hendrickson

They can't keep them all -- just from a dollars perspective
                      I wonder if there is a trade for Lattimore or Ramczyk - not the Chargers - but a team out there willing to give a draft pick if they franchise one of them

That 20017 draft by the Saints was an all-timer - top 5 in NFL history. Be nice if Telesco could nail one of those this year
                      Our 2004 draft was better (trade for Rivers, Olshansky, Kaeding, Hardwick, Phillips, Turner, plus the pick from the Rivers trade that turned into Merriman, and Malcom Floyd as an UDFA). 6 Pro Bowlers were the direct result of that draft.

Comment

• therber219
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2017
                        • Iowa
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        "Pass to score. Run to win."
                        Joe Lombardi's HS coach.
                        Scary thing about this, is that is what they tried last year, and cost them what, 4 games? because they couldn't run? Sounds like what cost Lynn his job....hopefully thsi works out different!!

Comment

• Originally posted by therber219 View Post

Scary thing about this, is that is what they tried last year, and cost them what, 4 games? because they couldn't run? Sounds like what cost Lynn his job....hopefully thsi works out different!!
                          The difference is that Lombardi probably will not run as much before we get a large lead and will be a little bit slower to go run heavy later than Lynn and company were. I think there will be a better fit between the play calling and the game clock and not stupid turtling way too early in the game like we saw repeatedly under Lynn.

Comment

Working...
                          X