• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

If the charity claims are found to be frivolous,
    Judge wu dismisses with prejudice,
    plaintiff pays defendant's legal costs.
    Certain specified court costs are generally recoverable by a prevailing party in a civil matter, but attorney's fees are usually not recoverable in California unless a statute or contract provides for the recovery of them.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
      The Precious
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
      I wonder what this means:
      The NFL going to pay her out and make this go away? This will be worth watching. I’d bet good money those charities are broke and they better hope the grifter opportunist himself Rob Bonta is busy with more photo ops and it gets assigned to a intern.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        I wonder what this means:
        If the NFL has a mandatory arbitration rule for disputes such as this one, Berberian could be out of court for the time being. Having the matter decided in-house seems like a favorable outcome for Dean Spanos.

However, the existence of such a rule seems questionable to me because counsel for Dean Spanos would have already sought to enforce such a rule already if it truly existed.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

If the NFL has a mandatory arbitration rule for disputes such as this one, Berberian could be out of court for the time being. Having the matter decided in-house seems like a favorable outcome for Dean Spanos.

However, the existence of such a rule seems questionable to me because counsel for Dean Spanos would have already sought to enforce such a rule already if it truly existed.
          Deano attorney says...let's move it to San Joaquin. :shifty:

It has to at least appear organic.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Deano attorney says...let's move it to San Joaquin. :shifty:

It has to at least appear organic.
            Seeking to change venue usually involves either strategic considerations, practical ones, and sometimes both.

But Dean Spanos is apparently taking the position that the matter belongs in arbitration as indicated in this Florio article (below). It remains unclear to me why the issue was not spotted and raised earlier.

Litigation has emerged among the members of the Spanos family regarding whether the Chargers should be sold.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

The NFL going to pay her out and make this go away? This will be worth watching. I’d bet good money those charities are broke and they better hope the grifter opportunist himself Rob Bonta is busy with more photo ops and it gets assigned to a intern.
              I don't know where you get your information about Rob Bonta from, but I know Rob and I can assure you he is neither a grifter nor an opportunist.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Seeking to change venue usually involves either strategic considerations, practical ones, and sometimes both.

But Dean Spanos is apparently taking the position that the matter belongs in arbitration as indicated in this Florio article (below). It remains unclear to me why the issue was not spotted and raised earlier.

Litigation has emerged among the members of the Spanos family regarding whether the Chargers should be sold.

It might have been but not publicized. There may have been a lot of work in the background to resolve this. I don't think this issue came out of the blue, only the headlines.
                I think it's been brewing for a little while. Money can ruin a lot of relationships... Even familiar ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

It might have been but not publicized. There may have been a lot of work in the background to resolve this. I don't think this issue came out of the blue, only the headlines.
                  I think it's been brewing for a little while. Money can ruin a lot of relationships... Even familiar ones.
                  If you are going to petition to compel arbitration, you do not also move to change the venue since the matter being ordered to binding arbitration would render the change of venue moot.

Comment

• Panamamike
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

If you are going to petition to compel arbitration, you do not also move to change the venue since the matter being ordered to binding arbitration would render the change of venue moot.
                    I actually think they didn't ever want to get to even arbitration let alone the courts. I think it's a family dynamic issue that's brewing for quite a while and is not uncommon right now in sports. The massive growth in team values with still a lot of family controlled franchises and an aging ownership base is going to lead to these issues being more and more common.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

I actually think they didn't ever want to get to even arbitration let alone the courts. I think it's a family dynamic issue that's brewing for quite a while and is not uncommon right now in sports. The massive growth in team values with still a lot of family controlled franchises and an aging ownership base is going to lead to these issues being more and more common.
                      That is a good point.

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Dean's plan has been that the Chargers net worth would increase with the move to LA.

Dea and her legal advisors know this.

The timing is suspicious, and there must be an agenda in play.
                        and his public position was always that he had to do whatever was needed to protect his family financially- thereby forcing the move to LA. Guess his sister was never a factor there? Agree there is likely an agenda behind the scenes, and would bet Kroenke is involved somehow too. I remember there was a specific time period after a move where NFL prohibits selling a team to keep owners from big windfalls with ill advised moves. Kroenke was never happy about being forced to share his castle with a Pauper for $1 per year rent. There was an article in the last year or so mentioning Deano had not yet started paying back his $650 Million relocation fee either. This whole thing could be orchestrated to: let Dean sell to a richer owner who could then either move the team without much friction to a more compatible home like St Louis, or at least let Kroenke negotiate a more financially realistic stadium sharing contract if the new owner chose to stay. Pay off his relocation fees to NFL from sale proceeds, and let the arbitration process with sister proceed to conclusion out of media glare before next season starts.Ties up multiple loose ends at once.
                        Last edited by SDFan; 05-23-2021, 06:46 AM.
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Good points SDF.
                          It is not an area where I am particularly informed so should just shut up.
                          ​​​​​​I am up in Bay Area and definitely feel for all of you with the Spanos saga.
                          It hits me hard enough and I cannot imagine it all were I still living in my hometown.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X