• Send PM

Chargers First Round Draft Pick OT Rashawn Slater College Highlights

Comment

• Bolts&noles
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post

I could care less. Plenty of people on draft night say lots of things. Teams do as well. In his 2nd or 3rd year he will be at G. Whether that is because he struggles at LT or has an injury, who knows. But I simply do not see his career being at LT. I said the same about Fulker, but for different reasons. I'd love to eat lots of crow. I'd love nothing more!!
      Let the debate begin.
      I have no idea what will happen.
      Just for fun,who would you have picked?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
        If Walker Little is available at #77 do we make that pick? Let him compete? Slater to RG if Little wins??
        Yes - if Little is there at 77 - double dip for damn sure. Hell - maybe even at 47 I take Little depending on what CBs are on the board.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Dane Brugler initial thoughts on the pick:
          It is no secret that the Chargers have been targeting an upgrade on the offensive line and the board fell to them with Slater still available at No. 13. Slater has legitimate five-position versatility, which will allow the Chargers to get the five best blockers on the field, although he should be the plug-and-play starter at left tackle to protect the team’s budding superstar at quarterback, Justin Herbert.
          Here’s his full analysis back in March:
          2. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern (6-foot-4, 308 pounds)

Sugar Land, Texas (Clements); Age: 22.09

A three-year starter at Northwestern, Slater lined up at left tackle in former offensive coordinator Mick McCall’s scheme. He started as a true freshman right tackle for a head coach (Pat Fitzgerald) not known for playing young players. He steadily developed over his three years in Evanston, including a standout performance against Ohio State’s Chase Young in 2019, and will be Northwestern’s first offensive draft pick in the first two rounds since 1995.

Slater will have trouble vs. long-armed rushers in the NFL, but he is agile, stout and power-packed and doesn’t allow rushers to go through him (Isaiah Wynn conversation all over again). He is very quick to lock up pass rushers before they can set up their moves, and stays connected due to his leveraged attack. Overall, Slater will be graded as an offensive tackle on some draft boards and a guard/center on others. Regardless, he offers the smart, technically sound approach to be an NFL starter and projects best in a zone scheme.

All-22 Takeaway: What I loved most about Slater’s film was his desire to lock down rushers before they set up their moves. That is the main reason he was one of the few offensive tackles who found success against Ohio State’s Chase Young in 2019 as he showcased his forceful hands and aggressive approach. The left tackle stays balanced out of his stance and times his strike to attack before the Buckeyes’ rusher can engage him and dictate his path. Slater’s performance vs. the future No. 2 overall pick put him on a first-round trajectory.

Comment

• perryao
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

They may hope that, but he will move to guard eventually. As Jeremiah noted, he may be an all pro LG, so it works out. Not the smartest pursuant to value, but its Telesco, so not unexpected and if he gets an all pro LG its better than his past picks of Fluker, Watt, Lamp, Feeney, Teurk, etc. Just not an LT.
            Well Jeremiah had him going at 9 and is his top rated lineman in the draft. And despite what you think, he, i'm sure, thinks the Chargers got tremendous value getting him at 13.

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by perryao View Post

Well Jeremiah had him going at 9 and is his top rated lineman in the draft. And despite what you think, he, i'm sure, thinks the Chargers got tremendous value getting him at 13.
              I agree. Maybe Telesco gets lucky this time and I think maybe he did, as he picked a likely all pro LG. You take that in the 1st round all day long.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

The trencher Brandon Thorn on Slater:
                https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...rs-ot.amp.html

Conclusion at the end.
                OVERALL

Slater has the athletic ability, quickness, body control and coordination needed to play tackle in the NFL with precise, sticky hands to latch onto rushers, reset and recover from compromising positions. He has adequate power and length that will likely cap his ceiling as a very good rather than elite player, but he has the technique, football intelligence and movement skills necessary to counteract his few blemishes.

Slater is a great fit in a zone-based scheme where he can work laterally, climb and track down smaller targets as a run-blocker. He has the skill set and polish to be an immediate starter at tackle and a potential impact starter inside.

GRADE: 8.4/10 (Round 1)

OVERALL RANK: 15/300

POSITION RANK: OT3

PRO COMPARISON: Stronger/Polished Andre Dillard

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

I think JH is safe for the 4-5 next years !
                  SB in 2023 or 2024 ?

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Fluent in Sarcasm
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Iowa
                    • Man of the People
                    • Send PM

I agree. Maybe Telesco gets lucky this time and I think maybe he did, as he picked a likely all pro LG. You take that in the 1st round all day long.
                    Again.... an all pro is a B grade for you?

Comment

• boldarblood
                      Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

My 2nd round cluster:
                      Stokes, Tryon, Grant, Molden, Oweh, Ossai, Melifonwu, and Samuel.

In that order.
                      I can't argue with that list. Solid!

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

So you think Slater is a guard.... earlier you said an all pro guard.... but that’s a B grade? An all pro is a B? What is an A grade for you?
                        Good question. I think the problem is Slater is being listed as a LT. As a LT, its a B. But I think your point is well taken, that if you view his positional versatility and that he will likely be a great G, then an A in that regard. Except he was taken early for a guard, so that drops him a bit to maybe a B+. To me, this is where grades get tricky and aren't very helpful.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Who’d you want at 13 AK?

Comment

Working...
                          X