• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UglyTruth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2018
    • Send PM

Slater still handled Garrett about as well as any OL (rookie or vet) could. He got away with some holding calls on Garrett thankfully especially on the big throw to Allen on the last drive.

And yea they shouldn’t chip his guy especially Kelly shouldn’t be the one doing it.
    Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
    - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
    - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
    - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
    - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
    - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
    - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Heatmiser
      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Garrett is a good kid. In his presser, he had a lot of praise for Slater and said he will only get better. Garret saiid he surprised him a few times by showing him (Slater) some things he hadn’t seen. But said he is already really good, likes his game and he is going to have a great career. Also said he wishes him well and will root for him.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

I do like Garrett. For all his praise he has a good head on his shoulder and hasnt let that go to his head. Is this his last year on rookie deal or 1 more? Hes going to have a huge deal on his hands.

Slater has more than exceeded my expectations. I honestly dont worry about him even against the top rushers. He may let 1 or 2 plays slip the whole game at most. Thats Pro Bowl level without being a rookie.

I cant think of another LT that has come out and performed this good his first year. Was Conklin a first year ProBowler?

Comment

• like54ninjas
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2017
          • Great White North
          • Draftnik
          • Send PM

Conklin was a rookie 1st Team All-Pro.
          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
          K9
          Nasir
          Tillery
          Parham
          Reed

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

I used to like Garrett a lot but then didn’t he try to take a helmet off a QB and then use the helmet to bash the QB’s head in a couple years ago? I wanna say it was the Bengals or Steelers backup QB but not sure.

Then in a tweet, he tried to claim the QB said something racist to him and when his own teammates and other team’s players who were near the action said nothing racist was said, Garrett backtracked quickly and deleted the tweet. The league investigated it and conducted interviews and concluded nothing was said.

Edit: It was Steelers QB Mason Rudolph
            Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
            - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
            - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
            - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
            - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I keep seeing sportswriters talking about how great Ja'marr Chase is for the Bengals, and he is playing well. They are talking about how he is hands down the leading rookie of the year candidate. And he is one of the two best rookies in football. I get it, Chase has been pretty impressive. The Bengals passer rating throwing to him is very, very high (like 150, according to PFF). But I think a lot of the talk is still the old "skill position" bias.

But Slater is playing very good football. He is already among the best LT in football, certainly the best rookie OL of any sort, and has been doing an outstanding job on the blind side. PFF is crediting him for allowing 2 sacks vs Cleveland, and he gave up a big hit vs KC, but that's it, aside from some rookie mistakes (which he has mostly gotten away with). And he hasn't had what I would consider a really bad game. In the games where he pass protection is not so good, his run blocking is excellent. In the games where his run blocking hasn't been as great, his pass protection is. He has also been a very good run blocker for the most part (he struggled some vs Dallas and Was), but has been good to outstanding since week 2 in the running game.

I would probably award Chase the ROY award if you gave it right now, but Slater is incredibly close behind, and my awarding it to Chase is probably as much about my obvious (and non-apologetic) Charger bias than anything. It will be really interesting to see how the rest of their rookie season's progress. I doubt he will win it because he is an OL, but Slater has been incredible.

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The only way an O-lineman wins OROY is if all the skill position players are terrible. It’s just not happening. And I’m fine with that. Slater is kicking ass and a joy to watch protect JH on Sundays. We went for so long without just competent O-line play that having Slater is like manna from heaven.

I would like to see Slater make the Pro Bowl this year.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
                  The only way an O-lineman wins OROY is if all the skill position players are terrible. It’s just not happening. And I’m fine with that. Slater is kicking ass and a joy to watch protect JH on Sundays. We went for so long without just competent O-line play that having Slater is like manna from heaven.

I would like to see Slater make the Pro Bowl this year.
                  But I much rather not see him play in the Pro Bowl, because he was busy getting ready for something bigger. Why not AP All-Pro?

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

But I much rather not see him play in the Pro Bowl, because he was busy getting ready for something bigger. Why not AP All-Pro?
                    I like the way you think. But he still gets credit for making the Pro Bowl.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Personally I don't want him getting any of these postseason accolades. it's just going to drive his price up in a couple years.

Comment

• Xenos
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I keep seeing sportswriters talking about how great Ja'marr Chase is for the Bengals, and he is playing well. They are talking about how he is hands down the leading rookie of the year candidate. And he is one of the two best rookies in football. I get it, Chase has been pretty impressive. The Bengals passer rating throwing to him is very, very high (like 150, according to PFF). But I think a lot of the talk is still the old "skill position" bias.

But Slater is playing very good football. He is already among the best LT in football, certainly the best rookie OL of any sort, and has been doing an outstanding job on the blind side. PFF is crediting him for allowing 2 sacks vs Cleveland, and he gave up a big hit vs KC, but that's it, aside from some rookie mistakes (which he has mostly gotten away with). And he hasn't had what I would consider a really bad game. In the games where he pass protection is not so good, his run blocking is excellent. In the games where his run blocking hasn't been as great, his pass protection is. He has also been a very good run blocker for the most part (he struggled some vs Dallas and Was), but has been good to outstanding since week 2 in the running game.

I would probably award Chase the ROY award if you gave it right now, but Slater is incredibly close behind, and my awarding it to Chase is probably as much about my obvious (and non-apologetic) Charger bias than anything. It will be really interesting to see how the rest of their rookie season's progress. I doubt he will win it because he is an OL, but Slater has been incredible.
                          Chase is making highlight reel catches down the field. That is what people like to see. Would be really hard for most fans/sportswriters to see an OL get an overall award (like MVP, ROY, etc) even if it is deserved. Has it ever happened?

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍