Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
    Yup. Palmer is pretty much the definition of a draft gem. I always said the jury was out on him because of the QB situation. And his pro day numbers were good, but not mind blowing.

But Palmer looked great at the Senior Bowl, just like Herbert did the year before, when Herbert wasn’t being restricted by Oregon’s offensive system.

Finding players who project to be better in the pros than in college is probably the most difficult thing to do. But it looks like ole TT has done it twice in 2 years. Barring 2019, he’s been a stellar GM.
    This draft so far looks like one of TT’s strongest. I wonder how much the new coaching staff influenced specific picks.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• DragonIce
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2021
      • Arizona
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
      He ran the routes called, got open, and made the receptions. Can’t ask anymore.
      You are right. He did all he could in this one. But dink and dunk catches against second-stringers still doesn't tell us everything. Great first game, he sure looks like a good pick.

But can he separate against 1st stringers? Can he make contested down-field catches? This game didn't permit us to get those answers.

I'm not doubting the guy. I just want to see him with Herbert in a more open style of play.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This draft so far looks like one of TT’s strongest. I wonder how much the new coaching staff influenced specific picks.
        I’m sure the new coaching staff had some input. Staley and co. have a much clearer vision than the last coaching staff, which makes the GM’s job easier.

I also think it’s possible that TT is getting better as a GM. Players aren’t the only ones who develop and improve year over year.

This draft class seems legit.
        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

You are right. He did all he could in this one. But dink and dunk catches against second-stringers still doesn't tell us everything. Great first game, he sure looks like a good pick.

But can he separate against 1st stringers? Can he make contested down-field catches? This game didn't permit us to get those answers.

I'm not doubting the guy. I just want to see him with Herbert in a more open style of play.
          His cuts are sudden and he doesn't telegraph them. Good body control, strong hands. The skills translate.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Palmer in the 3rd was genius. Nobody saw that talent except him (and his staff).

McKitty in the 3rd. Not so much.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

It’s been one TC and one preseason game against scrubs. Let’s not overreact.

Yes, Palmer looks like a winner. So does Slater and Samuel. But personally, I’m not condemning any other picks at this point.

That’d be way too hasty.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

He ran the routes called, got open, and made the receptions. Can’t ask anymore.
                We could ask him to succeed against starting caliber players.

That said, I think he had a positive showing, but nothing that would move the needle in terms of him being any better than the #5 WR on the roster.

The issue is that Guyton, Johnson and Williams fit Herbert's deep ball strength better than Palmer does and Allen is the primary short and intermediate target.

I see Palmer as a contributor, but he could also detract from what the team already has if overused to the point that he taking reps from the other WRs when they are healthy.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Or how much the new coaching staff actually developing the young players (waaaay to early I know) is showing up.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

Popper says he's the clear WR3 at this point and the second best route runner on the team. It's not like Popper is at every practice and press conference or anything.

WR6 is between Hill, Proehl, and Moore.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                      Popper says he's the clear WR3 at this point and the second best route runner on the team. It's not like Popper is at every practice and press conference or anything.

Hill is out IMO. Proehl vs Moore is a tough choice. Let’s see who steps up in games.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                        Fluent in Sarcasm
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Iowa
                        • Man of the People
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

We could ask him to succeed against starting caliber players.

That said, I think he had a positive showing, but nothing that would move the needle in terms of him being any better than the #5 WR on the roster.

The issue is that Guyton, Johnson and Williams fit Herbert's deep ball strength better than Palmer does and Allen is the primary short and intermediate target.

I see Palmer as a contributor, but he could also detract from what the team already has if overused to the point that he taking reps from the other WRs when they are healthy.
                        He is succeeding against starting caliber players in practice.

Also maybe someone taking a few targets away from Keenan will help Keenan from missing time at the end of the season like he did last year. Guyton, Johnson, and Williams fit Herbert better? But Keenan led the team in targets by a fair margin with 147 (HH was next highest at 93 who also doesn’t run those deep routes). Sounds like we need someone else running the same routes as Keenan more than we need a 4th deep threat.

I know you hated the pick, but let’s not try and act like Palmer doesn’t provide real value because he does things similarly to the best WR on the roster.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

I don't disagree that he is probably the number 3 WR, but I'm always hesitant to put much stock in anything Popper says (unless it is something told to him off the record). The guys football knowledge is pretty shallow (it was only a year or so ago when Gus had to explain to him the difference between cover 2 and cover 3).

Comment

Working...
                          X