Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    The bottom line is this: the coaching staff had a long look at Johnson to see how he fit in with what they want to do and felt the team was better without him than with him.
    And they were wrong!

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

I alone am right.:Cheers1:

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I heard that Palmer spread untrue rumors about T-Billy and told him to line up wrong and run the wrong routes. And that he told him Staley loves trash talkin' and pushin' and shovin' at joint practices. He did all of this to justify getting picked in the third round when everyone knows he should have gone in the 5-6th round. And T-Billy had to listen to him because he is an UDFA and Palmer outranks him due to being selected in the 3rd round when everyone knows he should have gone in the 6-7th round. (His actions with T-Billy made everyone drop him a round in the eyes of everyone)

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• CivilBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        I heard that Palmer spread untrue rumors about T-Billy and told him to line up wrong and run the wrong routes. And that he told him Staley loves trash talkin' and pushin' and shovin' at joint practices. He did all of this to justify getting picked in the third round when everyone knows he should have gone in the 5-6th round. And T-Billy had to listen to him because he is an UDFA and Palmer outranks him due to being selected in the 3rd round when everyone knows he should have gone in the 6-7th round. (His actions with T-Billy made everyone drop him a round in the eyes of everyone)

TG
        :coolstorybro:

Comment

• BlazingBolt
          SLAM DUNK!
          • Jun 2013
          • East County San Diego
          • Bolt fanatic
          • Send PM

Tyron Johnson getting cut apparently isn't even worth his own thread, I guess Josh Palmer directly took his job?

migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Classic
            Hall Of Fame
            • Dec 2014
            • Send PM

The Tyron cutting reminds me of when Trevor Williams wasn't brought back in 2019. It was odd but it turned out he had peaked with us and so far isn't close to as good with Arizona. I did feel T-Billy had a knack for getting open deep and hauling them in so it'll be sad to see that go. It should be noted though that Guyton has improved this off-season and doesn't look to have the dropsies issue anymore. Guyton imo more than capable off carrying a bigger load this year in targets. I can't understand the Hill signing when Reed is a better returner than he is and marginally worse as a WR.

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
              The Tyron cutting reminds me of when Trevor Williams wasn't brought back in 2019. It was odd but it turned out he had peaked with us and so far isn't close to as good with Arizona. I did feel T-Billy had a knack for getting open deep and hauling them in so it'll be sad to see that go. It should be noted though that Guyton has improved this off-season and doesn't look to have the dropsies issue anymore. Guyton imo more than capable off carrying a bigger load this year in targets. I can't understand the Hill signing when Reed is a better returner than he is and marginally worse as a WR.
              KO return yes.... yet to show that in the pros. Key part of punt return is actually catching the ball. It isn't for everyone,even some very sure handed receivers struggle fielding punts.

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

With all respect...no coach's whistle will ever be in your mouth or mine. No one will ever pay either of us to manage or consult for a team. You have swum out to ocean waters beyond your skills-ratings. And in short: you are drowning in your own absurdity.

Before the lifeguard's whistles ring yet again...get to the beach, grab a towel and a beverage. If you ever think again to criticize things that are way, way, way beyond your grasp and pay scale...frame your thoughts as a question rather than an accusation.

I've already seen the epic highlights. Johnson had speed and Herbert could throw it farther than anyone thought. Straight line speed alone has never made an NFL receiver. A team needs a guy who can run multiple routes, reliably show up to practice, know his job, respect his coaches and teammates, be willing to block, play special teams, improve his craft. I have zero idea of the details, but at key job requirements Tyron Johnson keeps falling short, over and over again.
                Your post is, frankly, ridiculous and fooling nobody. You have offered zero factual response to Johnson's stats from last year in limited activity. You have offered zero response to the observed ability of Johnson to run effective routes. We do not have to guess. We all saw it happen last year. Those highlights showed plays other than long passes to Johnson. There is much more evidence that Johnson is a good WR than there is that Palmer is.

You have done nothing but make unwarranted assumptions in the face of proof to the contrary.

Nobody thinks that KJ Hill is better than Johnson as a WR--nobody. Everyone realizes that KJ Hill was kept as the team's punt returner much the same way that Kassim Osgood was kept for years as a special teams ace only Osgood was much better on STs than Hill.

With a deep set of potential WRs, it is a poor choice for a team to keep only 5 WRs with one WR being a punt returner only, meaning that we only have 4 "real" WRs on the roster. That is just bad roster management in light of so many crappy players being kept at other positions. There are a good 20 payers on the roster ahead of which Johnson should have been kept. That may have been why Johnson did not even make it past the first team with the right to claim him as Jacksonville claimed him immediately.

Awesome choice for us to keep only one burner at WR on the roster because we all know that the goal should be to have no depth, right? The decision to waive Johnson was just a bad one and if you will not listen to someone who is not an NFL coach, then consider listening to Urban Meyer, someone who is an NFL coach, who jumped at the chance to add Johnson.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Your post is, frankly, ridiculous and fooling nobody. You have offered zero factual response to Johnson's stats from last year in limited activity. You have offered zero response to the observed ability of Johnson to run effective routes. We do not have to guess. We all saw it happen last year. Those highlights showed plays other than long passes to Johnson. There is much more evidence that Johnson is a good WR than there is that Palmer is.

You have done nothing but make unwarranted assumptions in the face of proof to the contrary.

Nobody thinks that KJ Hill is better than Johnson as a WR--nobody. Everyone realizes that KJ Hill was kept as the team's punt returner much the same way that Kassim Osgood was kept for years as a special teams ace only Osgood was much better on STs than Hill.

With a deep set of potential WRs, it is a poor choice for a team to keep only 5 WRs with one WR being a punt returner only, meaning that we only have 4 "real" WRs on the roster. That is just bad roster management in light of so many crappy players being kept at other positions. There are a good 20 payers on the roster ahead of which Johnson should have been kept. That may have been why Johnson did not even make it past the first team with the right to claim him as Jacksonville claimed him immediately.

Awesome choice for us to keep only one burner at WR on the roster because we all know that the goal should be to have no depth, right? The decision to waive Johnson was just a bad one and if you will not listen to someone who is not an NFL coach, then consider listening to Urban Meyer, someone who is an NFL coach, who jumped at the chance to add Johnson.
                  Staley is a bonafide NFL coach;
                  Urban Meyer is a college coach, who as yet has not coached an NFL game in his life.
                  Staley chose Palmer over T-billy.

Why is Meyer's lack of NFL experience a virtue, and yet Palmer's lack of experience an ominous sign?

I don't think i want to know the answer.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Bold prediction - both Meyer and Johnson will be out of the NFL before Palmer is.

Comment

• DragonIce
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2021
                      • Arizona
                      • Send PM

In the past decade I've lost track of how many receivers the fans fell in love with at the Cowboys forums...that ended up cut and forgotten.

For our situation carrying five makes sense. It's not like we had six of the caliber the Bucs have. If we have injuries at WR it won't be hard to find and bring in a decent replacement.

Popper indicates the team will deploy more tight ends in game action this season.

Comment

• DragonIce
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2021
                        • Arizona
                        • Send PM

Bold prediction - both Meyer and Johnson will be out of the NFL before Palmer is.
                        I'd like to see Meyer succeed. He's an interesting guy and the league needs more of that. But your probably right.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Bold?

Comment

Working...
                          X