Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • equivocation
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post
    In the past decade I've lost track of how many receivers the fans fell in love with at the Cowboys forums...that ended up cut and forgotten.

For our situation carrying five makes sense. It's not like we had six of the caliber the Bucs have. If we have injuries at WR it won't be hard to find and bring in a decent replacement.

Popper indicates the team will deploy more tight ends in game action this season.
    It's the same here. There's always a fan fave WR.

The notable time the fans were very, very, very right was Wes Welker.

Comment

• DragonIce
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2021
      • Arizona
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

Didn't know/remember Welker started as a Charger.
      Cowboys had rights to undrafted Danny Amendola for a year but let him go. Funny little parallel.

I can't remember the Cowboys fan perspective on Danny. Though since he's a Texas kid they probably wanted to see him get more chances.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

We were trying to put Welker on the PS and activate him when Tim Dwight or Eric Parker inevitably got injured. He didn’t understand the situation and took it personally, and essentially chose to join the Dolphins PS instead.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

I'd like to see Meyer succeed. He's an interesting guy and the league needs more of that. But your probably right.
          I like Meyer too, but what worked for him in college is not going to work in the pros. There is already grumblings out of his new team and we aren't even in week one yet. I'm not sure his health and need for absolute control are going to do well in the NFL.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

WW is counting the hit and forgetting the many, many, many misses on UDFA/PS players/prospects.
            It is like wishing for things/outcomes. People typically only remember the hits not the thousands of strikes/outs.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• CivilBolt
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I like Meyer too, but what worked for him in college is not going to work in the pros. There is already grumblings out of his new team and we aren't even in week one yet. I'm not sure his health and need for absolute control are going to do well in the NFL.
              I agree. It is fine for kids on scholarship. Not grown millionaire NFL players.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Staley is a bonafide NFL coach;
                Urban Meyer is a college coach, who as yet has not coached an NFL game in his life.
                Staley chose Palmer over T-billy.

Why is Meyer's lack of NFL experience a virtue, and yet Palmer's lack of experience an ominous sign?

I don't think i want to know the answer.

Meyer has tons more football coaching experience than Staley. Neither has been the head coach for a single NFL game, so that is the same for both coaches--advantage Meyer overall based upon experience.

Staley made a poor decision. The Jaguars chose Johnson over every other released player in the NFL. I would say that that is saying something.

I do not believe that there is a single WR group for any team in the entire league that Johnson would not improve if added instead of one of the team's current WRs.

We had one of the deepest WR groups in the league and Johnson should not have been anywhere near the bottom the WR depth chart.

The concern about Palmer is not so much that he has no experience, but that he has no elite traits--zip, zero nada. I think that players that do not get much separation, do not have great ability in the air, and do not have very large frames like Palmer are interception magnets because the QB will be frequently throwing into good coverage when targeting Palmer for anything other than a very short, quick pattern against soft coverage.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I am just glad Palmer doesn’t have to look over his shoulder every day as the world-renowned far superior Tbilly stalks the practice field edges, ready to pounce and reclaim his rightful place as Mr #4. Kid already has enough pressure after learning hie’s incapable of creating separation from anyone.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                    I am just glad Palmer doesn’t have to look over his shoulder every day as the world-renowned far superior Tbilly stalks the practice field edges, ready to pounce and reclaim his rightful place as Mr #4. Kid already has enough pressure after learning hie’s incapable of creating separation from anyone.
                    Lol.

Comment

• captaind
                      Cook This Pork Chops
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Mars
                      • Ball Holder
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Meyer has tons more football coaching experience than Staley. Neither has been the head coach for a single NFL game, so that is the same for both coaches--advantage Meyer overall based upon experience.

Staley made a poor decision. The Jaguars chose Johnson over every other released player in the NFL. I would say that that is saying something.

I do not believe that there is a single WR group for any team in the entire league that Johnson would not improve if added instead of one of the team's current WRs.

We had one of the deepest WR groups in the league and Johnson should not have been anywhere near the bottom the WR depth chart.
                      Advantage Meyer based on college football experience? That doesn't necessarily translate to the NFL.

So the bar to judge whether a decision is good or bad is based upon what the worst team in the NFL decides to do? Do you hear yourself? I know, it's the game you play here, testing your skills as an attorney to defend ridiculous positions. :blahblah:

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                        But...Palmer HAS proved he gets good separation in a soft zone vs. backups...THAT counts for something, doesn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonIce View Post
                          In the past decade I've lost track of how many receivers the fans fell in love with at the Cowboys forums...that ended up cut and forgotten.

For our situation carrying five makes sense. It's not like we had six of the caliber the Bucs have. If we have injuries at WR it won't be hard to find and bring in a decent replacement.

Popper indicates the team will deploy more tight ends in game action this season.
                          WTF? Tyron Johnson would be the 4th best WR on Tampa Bay's roster right now. He would also be the 4th best WR on our team.

Hill is only on the team because he is the team's PR. When a team only carries a WR to play STs, the team should automatically carry at least 6 WRs. Any other decision is idiotic because a team that carries only 5 WRs with one being solely the dedicated PR only has 4 real WRs on the roster and that is not enough.

While he did have 7 receptions for us last year, the reality is that KJ Hill should never be on the field for us as a WR.

Comment

Working...
                          X