Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I said that Lawrence has a higher ceiling than Herbert. I never stated that it was guaranteed that Lawrence would reach his ceiling. Lawrence is stuck on a weak roster, which does not help him when compared to Herbert.

And as I have stated on multiple occasions, it is irrelevant what Johnson does for Jacksonville. What natters is what he proved he could do for us. Not sure why that very obvious point is so difficult to comprehend.
    Herbert was balling on a 3 - 9 roster with an Oline filled with backups and scrubs.

Ceiling is a completely useless term once the draft process has ended.
    No one says that Mitch Trubisky failed to reach his ceiling....he sucks.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Herbert was balling on a 3 - 9 roster with an Oline filled with backups and scrubs.

Ceiling is a completely useless term once the draft process has ended.
      No one says that Mitch Trubisky failed to reach his ceiling....he sucks.
      You think? Or does the Chicago team suck on offense? Where's that superstar QB they drafted? I don't think he could do anything for Chicago until they get better pieces on offense. Trubisky is not great but he got NO HELP in Chicago. Right now Chicago is a failed organization until they hire smart people like the Chargers have done.

:stirpot:
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolts&noles
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

This team could use Johnson.
        There averaging 22 points a game.
        They really where a little more explosive last year at this point.
        Thats with a terrible OL.
        still dont understand the move.
        Has Kelley even touched the ball or played in a game?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

You are kidding, right? Palmer has done absolutely nothing that Johnson could not have done for us without the loss of a third round pick. In fact, Palmer has hugely underperformed based upon all of his preseason hype. Moreover, our offense has been missing the big plays that were present last year--plays that are much more likely with players like Johnson than players like Palmer. I said the loss of Johnson would hurt our deep passing attack and it has.

We could have drafted Spencer Brown (a guy I hoped we would draft in round 3) or a safety (as Webb is very limited) instead of Palmer and kept Johnson. It did not take a whole lot of thought to foresee that Bulaga would be injured at some point this season, that Norton was a marginal replacement and that Pipkins would be worthless.

I would say I was pretty much right on the money so far as 2020 Johnson is outpacing 2021 Palmer so far and would not have cost us a third round draft pick which could have been used to fill other team needs.
          Johnson has 1 catch for 6 yards and Palmer has 3 catches for 17 yards, so I am struggling with understanding the algorithm for your outpacing calculation. I would have been fine keeping him but your exaggerations about his irreplaceable value have exceeded their shelf life.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Panamamike
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts&noles View Post
            So far the chargers have had five touchdowns called back due to penalties.

While they were more explosive last year at this point it had little to do with Johnson.

Johnson had his best games naturally in the last few games of last season when Keenan Allen was out with injury. If Keenan and Mike Williams (who is finally being used as an overall wide receiver, and not just a 50/50 guy) are both healthy our number three and 4 receivers will not see many targets, regardless of who they are.

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Perhaps Lombardi knew defenses were going to defend the deep ball against a 2nd year Herbert so we're better off with a multi-layered attack? I mean Herbert IS having a higher completion%, more attempts per game, and higher yards per pass. That said we have 1 speed guy.

Also was Johnson not putting in work in training camp? I was sorta surprised he was cut.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Johnson has 1 catch for 6 yards and Palmer has 3 catches for 17 yards, so I am struggling with understanding the algorithm for your outpacing calculation. I would have been fine keeping him but your exaggerations about his irreplaceable value have exceeded their shelf life.
                I'll help here.

Johnson came to Jacksonville late, he's still digesting the offense and Lawrence needs to get comfortable with him on the practice field.
                Once that comfort level is reached, Johnson will be an integral cog in the offence: his ceiling is tremendous.

Palmer has been coddled and fawned over ever since he arrived: it was like a pretty car with a nice polish - just don't take that car out of the garage.
                Grand projections were being made in training camp: 40 - 50 catches / 600 - 700 yards.
                Well, any half-wit now can see that he hardly gets on to the playing field: stuck behind dishrags like Guyton* & Hill.
                Look for that torrid pace of 1 reception per game to cool off.

* sorry Chaincrusher, i had to sacrifice him for the argument

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

They were more explosive, but that team generally failed in the 4rth quarter on offense.....big 3rd & 4 downs were followed by a punt.

Comment

• The Intellectual Assassin
                    Serenity now!
                    • Sep 2021
                    • North Carolina
                    • Teacher
                    • Send PM

You never won't to count someone out this early in their rookie season, but the dude has been a big disappointment so far; especially with all the hype he had due to his performance in training camp. Still a lot of time to rectify of course, but currently he should be nothing more than a special teams guy and that is the blunt truth until he turns it around.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

You think? Or does the Chicago team suck on offense? Where's that superstar QB they drafted? I don't think he could do anything for Chicago until they get better pieces on offense. Trubisky is not great but he got NO HELP in Chicago. Right now Chicago is a failed organization until they hire smart people like the Chargers have done.

:stirpot:
                      Trubiski isnt in Chicago and is Allen's backup in Buffalo. Why on earth would he go there? He must have got no offers to compete for a starting job.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I'll help here.

Johnson came to Jacksonville late, he's still digesting the offense and Lawrence needs to get comfortable with him on the practice field.
                        Once that comfort level is reached, Johnson will be an integral cog in the offence: his ceiling is tremendous.

Palmer has been coddled and fawned over ever since he arrived: it was like a pretty car with a nice polish - just don't take that car out of the garage.
                        Grand projections were being made in training camp: 40 - 50 catches / 600 - 700 yards.
                        Well, any half-wit now can see that he hardly gets on to the playing field: stuck behind dishrags like Guyton* & Hill.
                        Look for that torrid pace of 1 reception per game to cool off.

* sorry Chaincrusher, i had to sacrifice him for the argument
                        This Johnson love cracks me up (and I actually liked the guy). He had a nice 20 catches for us last year but remember: he has been cut 5 times and is on his 6th attempt to stick on a team since 2019. He has 21 career catches. He can't return punts or kicks, which is why a dishrag like Hill is on the roster and he was cut. Palmer may or may not pan out but lets be real - neither Johnson nor Palmer would be getting much playing time this season on this roster with Allen and MW lighting it up.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

This Johnson love cracks me up (and I actually liked the guy). He had a nice 20 catches for us last year but remember: he has been cut 5 times and is on his 6th attempt to stick on a team since 2019. He has 21 career catches. He can't return punts or kicks, which is why a dishrag like Hill is on the roster and he was cut. Palmer may or may not pan out but lets be real - neither Johnson nor Palmer would be getting much playing time this season on this roster with Allen and MW lighting it up.
                          In addition…..

If we wanted we could flip a future 7th rounder in 2025 to the jags for TBilly.
                          Well the jags obviously see the immense talent he has and have him as a no trade player.
                          My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X