Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DragonIce
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2021
    • Arizona
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

First, the numbers of teams that Johnson has played for is 100% irrelevant to the discussion. What is relevant is that when Johnson was finally given the chance to see the field for an NFL team, he kicked ass. Johnson was the best WR on the team when it came to receptions versus targets despite having a huge yards per reception average, which is often inversely proportional to receptions per target as longer passes carry a lower completion percentage. He was the second best receiver on the team in terms of PFF grade. Why does the team want to take years to develop Palmer when they already had the goods in Johnson?

Second, Palmer has done absolutely nothing so far. Running 4 yards and turning around against soft coverage means jack. He has struggled mightily to gain separation. It is his single worst trait, so I have no idea where all this nonsense about him getting good separation is coming from, but it is not true. The most meaningful play Palmer made all preseason is his dropped pass because that showed that his hands are nowhere close to some of the nonsense that has been posted about his hands.

Third, Palmer lacks top end traits. We will see what he looks like on the field very soon, but I have seen nothing from this preseason that leads me to believe that he is going to justify where he was picked, which most pundits believe was a big reach. Palmer did not flash at all. Sure, the sample size is small, but he has done nothing to indicate that he is better than either Guyton or Johnson.

Finally, what you are missing is that those 20 receptions came on only 26 targets and resulted in 396 yards for a 19.9 yards per catch average and a 78.4 PFF grade. That PFF grade was 3rd among all offensive players that played at least 20% of the snaps behind only Allen and Herbert, and better than the PFF numbers of Mike Williams and Ekeler. This is the profile of a player that should be kept and used more, not cut. Cutting him represents a significant mistake.
    :wtfc:

I try to read Chain's posts...give him a shot. By the second sentence I'm snoozing. Save my energy for posters that bring something actually relevant and interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

:wtfc:

I try to read Chain's posts...give him a shot. By the second sentence I'm snoozing. Save my energy for posters that bring something actually relevant and interesting.
      :idgaf:

Comment

• DragonIce
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2021
        • Arizona
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

:idgaf:
        You could be 10x more interesting in 3 easy steps:

-Quit pitching yourself as some elite with special genius insight. That won't fly here. It's a joke and we won't put up with it anymore. We're all here to spitball and have some fun. You aren't a super hero, God's gift or some uber-genius. None of us are.

-Learn to laugh at yourself. We all gotta do it. Taking oneself seriously is poison.

-Know when to let go. Dead horses are...dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

-Quit pitching yourself as some elite with special genius insight. That won't fly here. It's a joke and we won't put up with it anymore. We're all here to spitball and have some fun. You aren't a super hero, God's gift or some uber-genius. None of us are.

-Learn to laugh at yourself. We all gotta do it. Taking oneself seriously is poison.

In a shocking twist, you have misstated yet another of my positions--again. Not only have I not claimed any special NFL expertise, I have specifically stated on multiple occasions that I do not claim to be an expert or to have any special expertise regarding many NFL issues. In other news, scientists have discovered the existence of air.

The rest of your mistaken takes in your post demonstrate a further lack of understanding of where I am coming from and are not really worthy of much more of a response than that.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

:LOL:

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Bump.

Big prediction: Palmer plays a significant role against the Raiders.

I’m really hoping he starts seeing more field-time soon, otherwise we’ll all have to tell chainstroker he was right.
              Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                Bump.

I’m really hoping he starts seeing more field-time soon, otherwise we’ll all have to tell chainstroker he was right.
                It's a Red Shirt year for Josh & Tre...
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                  Bump.

Yeah, I was just thinking about this. It's going to be a good game to get him involved. The Raiders' D Monday night is going to be so focused on shutting down Williams and Allen, and not letting their old teammate Jared Cook beat them. They will be concentrating on Ekeler too, has had some good games against the R's. But they know nothing about Josh Palmer and I think the rookie will get some opportunities. I could also see Parham having a game. And maybe this is the game the Chargers' offense rediscovers that Guyton is a pretty good deep threat.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

Palmer is a rookie and isnt going to light it up unless we have an injury. Im glad to have him digest this year and lear from our vets.

I dont know what Gus will try to do. The quick passing game is tough to defend without leaving less deep coverage. Guyten will get some looks I think and we may see Ek breakout this week. Gus is predictable and without pressure on Herbie Carr isnt going to see the field much. Lets get a lead and shut down the passing game…make them run on us…Jacobs is likely out or limited at best and Im not scared of their backups.

Carr vs Staley is going to be fun. I dont think he will have near the success as the poor D play hes seen so far. Im calling for 2 Ints Monday…Asante and DJ? Bosa gets home for 2 rubbing leather into Carrs noggin?

Sorry…back to Palmer. He will get play time.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

He'll get limited targets unless someone gets hurt or Guytom keeps dropping passes. Even Guyton has limited targets.

When you have Allen, Williams, and Ekeler getting 80%+ of targets, just not a lot to go around.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                        Draftnik
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                        He'll get limited targets unless someone gets hurt or Guytom keeps dropping passes. Even Guyton has limited targets.

When you have Allen, Williams, and Ekeler getting 80%+ of targets, just not a lot to go around.
                        And Cook, though I wish we could see more Parham.
                        Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                          Palmer is a rookie and isnt going to light it up unless we have an injury. Im glad to have him digest this year and lear from our vets.

I dont know what Gus will try to do. The quick passing game is tough to defend without leaving less deep coverage. Guyten will get some looks I think and we may see Ek breakout this week. Gus is predictable and without pressure on Herbie Carr isnt going to see the field much. Lets get a lead and shut down the passing game…make them run on us…Jacobs is likely out or limited at best and Im not scared of their backups.

Carr vs Staley is going to be fun. I dont think he will have near the success as the poor D play hes seen so far. Im calling for 2 Ints Monday…Asante and DJ? Bosa gets home for 2 rubbing leather into Carrs noggin?

Sorry…back to Palmer. He will get play time.
                          In 2013 Keenan Allen was a rookie who had slid from a possible 1st rounder to the 3rd round. Nobody really took him seriously going into the season. Then M80 suffers that horrible neck injury against the Eagles in the 2nd game of the season and KA goes into replace him. Immediately, KA starts getting open and Rivers is finding him for chunks. Chargers fans were like, who is this guy? (Sort of like we did with Herbert in his first game last year.) A star was born and KA never looked back. All he needed was an opportunity. Maybe Palmer just needs his opportunity too.

Comment

Working...
                          X