Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Problem is Guyton’s speed is mitigated by his inability to get off the line. Guessing he would’ve gotten a lot more targets/catches last season if he could’ve done that consistently, only one keeping him back is himself. Hoping for a new look Guyton this season, but not holding my breath, it’s not really a teachable trait, more like speed, guys have “it” or they don’t. But hey, go Guyton!
    My main problem with Guyton is his butter fingers.

He darn near dropped that easy sideline pass from Herbert with a few seconds remaining in regulation against Las Vegas.
    It took officials a few minutes to confirm the catch.....something to this day i'm not certain about.

If you are unreliable catching the football, what good are you?

I'm hoping the new Gutyon isn't the old one.....a serviceable but uninspiring slot receiver

Comment

• equivocation
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

He darn near dropped that sideline pass from Herbert with a few seconds remaining in regulation against Las Vegas.
      It took officials a few minutes to confirm the catch.....something to this day i'm not certain about.

He was ruled out of bounds, and they reviewed to see if his elbow came down in bounds. It clearly did. Theu were not reviewing if he maintained possession, which he clearly did.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
        "Could have done better" the biography of Anthony Lynn.
        I wonder what Lynn thought went wrong?

From my point of view, if it wasn't for his routine final two minute brain farts, he'd still probably be the Charger head coach.
        Herbert liked him, and they unexpectedly got a lot out of Herbert.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
          Chain's hatred of Palmer is soley related to his 4.52 40.
          Chain's love of Guyton is soley related to his 4.35 40.

Everything else derives from that. Nothing else matters. As those 2 things aren't going to change, discussing this topic with chain is essentially masturbation.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jalen-...a-7c74fd80b038
          Masturbation is at least pleasureable. This is like getting punched in the balls but you keep asking for it because you think it makes you less of a person if you walk away.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Its hard to say what Lynn was thinking when he made that statement. By all accounts, Tyrod Taylor was a great guy, and Lynn had a history with him.
            Did Lynn know that his job was on the line? If so, he would have wanted to go into the season with a seasoned qb, for whom he had a ton of respect,
            instead of a raw rookie who was believed to have had some kinks in his game.

Lynn didn't want a qb controversy, with Tyrod constantly looking over his shoulder. I think that was probably what was on his mind.
            It certainly could have been expressed better.
            I think Lynn’s public comments were taken out of context. There’s a reason everyone in the organization and the team universally liked him. He knew how to keep a locker room together. He just lacked management skills as a HC on game day and was too conservative.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Masturbation is at least pleasureable. This is like getting punched in the balls but you keep asking for it because you think it makes you less of a person if you walk away.
              Oh that’s gotta be a meme.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Problem is Guyton’s speed is mitigated by his inability to get off the line. Guessing he would’ve gotten a lot more targets/catches last season if he could’ve done that consistently, only one keeping him back is himself. Hoping for a new look Guyton this season, but not holding my breath, it’s not really a teachable trait, more like speed, guys have “it” or they don’t. But hey, go Guyton!
                It was also mitigated by the right side of our OL’s inability to pass block for any amount of time, which forced Herbert into settling for quick reads. Getting off the line is definitely a learnable trait, and with Guyton working as a gunner on ST probably an area you can expect him to improve. Even if he doesn’t he is still the best deep threat we have, especially with MWill not being asked to run as many deep routes in Lombardi’s scheme.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Until proven otherwise, MWill is our deep threat. It’s not even a contest.

Comment

• Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    I really can't tell what the infatuation with Guyton is. As I said, nice complimentary player but nothing special. But we heard the same thing last year about how stupid the team was for letting Tyron Johnson go. His 2 catches for 16 yards for 3 teams last year speaks volumes about that take.
                    The team was stupid for letting Johnson go. What Johnson did or does with other teams remains 100% irrelevant to how Johnson faired when teamed with Herbert.

Maybe this will help underscore the point. When targeted by Herbert in 2020, Tyron Johnson produced the highest passer rating for any QB in the entire NFL (156.7) among the 227 receivers (WR, TE and RB) listed by Pro Football Reference. A perfect NFL passer rating is 158.3. I would say that is pretty damn good evidence that Johnson worked very well with Herbert since they were the most efficient combination in the entire league.

This past year, Herbert had his highest passer rating when throwing to Guyton out of all of our WRs. And what do Johnson and Guyton have in common as far as their games are concerned? They both excel in the deep passing game, which kind of fits with arguably the game's best deep passer in Herbert and very much complements the vastly different strengths of Allen and Williams.

Even before we get to all of the additional ways Johnson would have helped us last year, if we had Johnson last year, we would have made the playoffs because 1) we would not have had Palmer and Moore pathetically trying to operate in the deep passing game that was there for the taking against HOU, and 2) Johnson's forcing of the fumble by Roberts that led directly to a LV TD in our final game of the season does not happen and we win that game in regulation. (Keep in mind that one of the reasons offered for why K.J. Hill was idiotically kept over Johnson was that Hill was supposedly the better special teams player.) So, regarding that forced special teams fumble, Johnson definitely had the last laugh at our team's expense by making a key play while playing a position that our genius coaching staff determined he could not play effectively that prevented us from going to the playoffs while simultaneously allowing his team to advance. It does not get much more "in your face" than that.

So yeah, the team was stupid for letting Johnson go and the concern is that they may double down on their stupidity by limiting rather than expanding (which is what should be happening) the role of the one remaining speedy deep threat that the team still has on the roster (Guyton).

Comment

• Originally posted by blueman View Post
                      Until proven otherwise, MWill is our deep threat. It’s not even a contest.
                      Guyton is the team's only speedy deep threat. Guyton produced the most separation of all of our WRs. Guyton produced the highest passer rating when targeted of any WR on our roster. Guyton was our only WR that was not targeted on a single Herbert INT last year.

But since several others are making up complete BS, you should feel free to join them.

You are right, though, it is not a contest, Guyton is easily the team's best deep threat, though Williams is a better overall WR and has an elite ability in terms of making contested catches. However, it is better not to have to make contested catches in the deep passing game--advantage Guyton.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

He darn near dropped that easy sideline pass from Herbert with a few seconds remaining in regulation against Las Vegas.

I'm hoping the new Gutyon isn't the old one.....a serviceable but uninspiring slot receiver
                        Guyton had 4 drops last year and still produced the best passer rating when targeted of all of our WRs--drops included. The passer rating when he was targeted was over 17 passer rating points higher than when Palmer was targeted. This undoubtedly had a lot to do with Guyton being our best WR at gaining separation and Palmer being our worst.

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                          Your posts are getting longer, do you sense failure and defeat engulfing your losing case? Are we approaching closing arguments yet?

It was posted above. But I’ll numerate it for clarity. Palmer is Slayer’s backup, Guyton is Dub’s. Slayer is #1, MDub is #2, so that makes Palmer #3 and Guyton #4 .

To recap:
                          Palmer #3
                          Guyton #4

Done.
                          No, the number of absolutely false, increasingly weak and desperate arguments made by others attempting to save face in response to my absolute shredding every single position taken by them has increased, causing the number of paragraphs needed to dispatch each of the increasingly pathetic arguments to increase as well.

And speaking of dispatching pathetic arguments, even if I agreed with your assertion about Guyton being Williams' backup (and I do not), it would not necessarily follow at all that just because Allen had an advantage over Williams that that means that Palmer has an advantage over Guyton. That is simply illogical. In Lombardi's offense in New Orleans, the X receiver was by far the most important receiver. That position is currently played by Williams, not Allen.

As it turns out, your position assignment is largely incorrect also as per Sharp Football Analysis, we played 63.6% of our offensive snaps with 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs).

So your post is basically wrong about almost everything.

Comment

Working...
                          X