Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
    Let’s not be too harsh on chain, the guy is a fan just like any of us and I don’t think he is hoping for Palmer to fail. We’ve all been plenty harsh on a number of players in the past, but we all hope they turn out better than our expectations (see: Pipkins). I certainly understand his wanting to see more from Palmer, 1 pre season game and TC does not a star make. I do think his arrow is pointed upwards from what we’ve seen of him so far and think he will be part of the WR rotation to start the season.

I also don’t get the need to number the WR in our new offense, they’re going to me moving in and out of the rotation so often just like the Saints do. Staley has made it abundantly clear he’s using personnel groupings as weapons, so I expect any WR that makes the roster to get a steady supply of snaps every game.
    Yes, you get it. I had a lower opinion of Palmer going into the draft than some here did. I do want Palmer to succeed, but am concerned that his doing well means less deep opportunities for Guyton and Johnson and the deep pass from Herbert was a great weapon for us last year. Herbert is not likely to complete 74.4% of his passes like Drew Brees did in 2018 on a truckload of short accurate passes. That is not Herbert's game. But Herbert passes the ball deep as well as anyone. So yes, let's run NO's offense, but let's tailor the play calls and personnel groupings to what Herbert does well. And that means not reducing the number of deep passes to Guyton and Johnson.

And as far as Palmer's performance is concerned, just like you said, one preseason game and TC does not make a star. I thought he did what he was asked to successfully on Saturday night, but that what he was asked to do was not all that much. There was nothing negative about his performance, but it was not super impressive either. As I have noted elsewhere, Rountree actually had a better game and there does not seem to be any buzz about him at all, which seems inconsistent to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

Again, let's see how the season plays out. If MW doesn't put up numbers he will be gone. If Palmer shows out as a rookie that make MW even more expendable. I have a feeling Josh is going to be nail in the coffin for big MW. I'm just a realist, MW has NOT lived up to his first round pick... Actually thinking about it MW looked like a superstar because of an extremely weak WR draft class in 2017. It has to be the weakest WR class in the last decade.
      The 2012 WR draft class might give 2017 a run for its money.

As for Mike Williams, I continue to believe that he worth a significant, but not huge amount of money in terms of a new deal. He is a valuable WR, just not our most valuable WR at present.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Wasn’t KA rated more like a late first rounder, but dropped due to injuries?
        A bunch of mocks had Keenan off the board by #24 overall that year/

He had a not-major knee injury that required minor surgery, and then he ran a non-impressive 4.6-ish/40 at the combine.

Keenan just happened to slip as a result of a combination of factors, and the Chargers were incredibly lucky to have him there for the taking in the 3rd round.

What a lot of people *don't* remember is that the Saints had the pick immediately before the one the Bolts used to select Allen.

The Saints selected OT Terran Armstead with that pick. And if they hadn't? Pretty certain the Bolts would have taken Armstead over Allen, and the left tackle problem would have been addressed nearly a decade ago!

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Whatever. IMO, receivers 1-5 as a group are as good as I can remember around here. However, the bullets have yet to fly.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

He had a not-major knee injury that required minor surgery, and then he ran a non-impressive 4.6-ish/40 at the combine.

Keenan just happened to slip as a result of a combination of factors, and the Chargers were incredibly lucky to have him there for the taking in the 3rd round.

What a lot of people *don't* remember is that the Saints had the pick immediately before the one the Bolts used to select Allen.

The Saints selected OT Terran Armstead with that pick. And if they hadn't? Pretty certain the Bolts would have taken Armstead over Allen, and the left tackle problem would have been addressed nearly a decade ago!
            Thanks, i understand the why too. My point was that someone said w.r.t Palmer that KA was a third round pick to. Technically yes, but only because of injury risk
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Yes, you get it. I had a lower opinion of Palmer going into the draft than some here did. I do want Palmer to succeed, but am concerned that his doing well means less deep opportunities for Guyton and Johnson and the deep pass from Herbert was a great weapon for us last year. Herbert is not likely to complete 74.4% of his passes like Drew Brees did in 2018 on a truckload of short accurate passes. That is not Herbert's game. But Herbert passes the ball deep as well as anyone. So yes, let's run NO's offense, but let's tailor the play calls and personnel groupings to what Herbert does well. And that means not reducing the number of deep passes to Guyton and Johnson.

And as far as Palmer's performance is concerned, just like you said, one preseason game and TC does not make a star. I thought he did what he was asked to successfully on Saturday night, but that what he was asked to do was not all that much. There was nothing negative about his performance, but it was not super impressive either. As I have noted elsewhere, Rountree actually had a better game and there does not seem to be any buzz about him at all, which seems inconsistent to me.
              The whole point of drafting Palmer, I believe, is to have him groomed and in place for when we cut ties with Mike Will after this season...if that means a few less touches for Guyton and Johnson, so be it...Palmer is looking like a solid route runner with good hands, and word is he can run the deep routes also...we shall see...

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

And imagine...the Bolts could have had BOTH Armstead and Allen...Armstead in round 2 and KA in round 3...who did the Chargers pick in round 2 in 2013? Manti Teo...ugh...and gave up a 4th rounder just to move up for him...

Comment

• UglyTruth
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2018
                  • Send PM

Thanks, i understand the why too. My point was that someone said w.r.t Palmer that KA was a third round pick to. Technically yes, but only because of injury risk
                  Only because of injury risk? Were you in the 32 GMs draft rooms at the time to know such information? Or some other inside info?

Injury risk certainly was not the only reason he dropped, it had to do with his speed as well. Here’s words from a man that actually was speaking with scouts, GMs and coaches to have at least some inside info at that time

It’s one word: speed,” NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock said of Allen. “That’s the only question scouts have.”

They won’t get an answer this week.

Allen missed the final three games of the season with a strained knee, then aggravated the injury two weeks ago during a workout in Florida, according to ESPN.

As a result, Allen will undergo medical exams at the combine but won’t participate in drills. Instead, he’ll reportedly work out for scouts in April at Cal.

His agent, J.T. Johnson, told this newspaper that Allen was examined by renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, who provided written confirmation that Allen’s knee is stable. Johnson hopes Andrews’ evaluation will “put everybody’s concerns about his knee to rest.”

Allen has been working out in Florida with his half-brother, former Cal quarterback Zach Maynard, who wasn’t invited to the combine, and cornerback Marc Anthony, who will participate.

“I’m not really limited as far as intensity,” Allen said. “I feel pretty good about the knee. Talking with doctors, they don’t feel too concerned.”

At 6-foot-3 and 205 pounds, Allen is big enough to extricate himself from press coverage and is an adept runner after the catch. But scouts are curious about his speed.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2013/02/...t-round-picks/
                  Mayock goes on to say that he could see him drafted in the 1st rd if a team compared him to Boldin but otherwise he’s seen as just a speed deficient receiver who would slip in the draft.
                  Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
                  - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
                  - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
                  - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
                  - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
                  - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
                  - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• DragonIce
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2021
                    • Arizona
                    • Send PM

ChainCrusher,

We all should have the right to be contrarian, and I honor it. That said, I have a gentleman's wager for you.

Short of an injury that sidelines Palmer from games, I contend all of the following will happen:
                    -Palmer will cement himself as receiver #3 for this season
                    -Palmer will have catches for +500 yards in '21
                    -Palmer will be in the top third of the league in WR catch rate (as a mere rookie)
                    -The Chargers will forego giving Williams a new contract and and will hand that job to Palmer

If any of these 4 conditions don't prove true, with the injury caveat, you win the "wager" (no money/only cred)

With all four conditions needing to be true, I'm stacking the odds in your favor.
                    R U in?
                    Last edited by DragonIce; 08-20-2021, 11:49 PM.

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Only because of injury risk? Were you in the 32 GMs draft rooms at the time to know such information? Or some other inside info?

Injury risk certainly was not the only reason he dropped, it had to do with his speed as well. Here’s words from a man that actually was speaking with scouts, GMs and coaches to have at least some inside info at that time

Mayock goes on to say that he could see him drafted in the 1st rd if a team compared him to Boldin but otherwise he’s seen as just a speed deficient receiver who would slip in the draft.
                      His 40 time had nothing to do with the factory still not recovered from his knee injury? Ok then.
                      Mayock has thus far proven as a GM that his ability to scout and judge talent leaves a lot to be desired.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

And Palmer's projected draft position wasn't adversely affected at all by the fact that he had absolutely horrible quarterback play for his entire collegiate career?

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

And Palmer's projected draft position wasn't adversely affected at all by the fact that he had absolutely horrible quarterback play for his entire collegiate career?
                          This sounds like JH having bad college recievers with dropsies that affected his stats.

Comment

Working...
                          X