Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt Dude
    Draftnik
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

This is exactly what I am talking about when I stated that Palmer is overhyped. In Ramirez's article, he praises Palmer for getting open on the TD last Sunday against the 49ers.

But the only reason why Palmer was open was because Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, who had Palmer covered on the play, inexplicably decided to leave him and run toward Stick even though other defenders were converging on Stick, leaving Palmer wide open. Palmer did not get wide open. He was left wide open. Here is a video of the play in question:

Even Fouts is over the top with his praise of Palmer on the broadcast, actually comparing the play to The Catch by Dwight Clark. The overhyping of Palmer is ridiculous.

Could we please get a reality check here?
    Just curious, what are your projected numbers for Palmer?
    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

Not so sure about that.

Sportstodaynews: "Analysts say Palmer is likeliest to go off the board in Round 3 on Friday 4, or in Round 4"

Dane Brugler: "He's long, powerful, fast enough and has vacuum hands and natural tracking skills to win at the catch point." Added Brugler: "Below average quarterback play was the main culprit." (behind less than stellar production)

NFLanalsyis.net: "a potential third- or fourth-round pick"

PFF comped him to Jordy Nelson
      https://twitter.com/PFF_Fantasy/stat...498250/photo/1

I bet he out-produces a number of receivers drafted above him.
      As others have told you, and as I showed you by citing numerous sources, the vast majority of pundits had Palmer going considerably later than where we picked him.

Brugler did not have Palmer in his top 100 Big Board, which supports Palmer being a reach.

I did not see a 2021 NFL Draft BIg Board from either Sportstodaynews or NFLanalysis.net.

Your attempt to re-write history is futile.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Staley, once again today in his presser, went out of his way to sing glowing praises of Palmer. Interesting that the guy who sees him every day is so high on him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

Just curious, what are your projected numbers for Palmer?
          It depends on his snap count and targets. But if he plays as the #3 WR, I think he could easily put up 400-500 yards. In that situation, I could see him getting 55-60 targets and having 40 receptions. At 12 yards per catch, that would be 480 yards. Though TDs are difficult to predict, I think he could have somewhere around 4 TDs.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2021
            • Send PM

Would just like to add, even though this is not draft forum, tools top of board site excellent to peruse and entertain oneself for hours on end. Imagine 500+ hours wasted away for me just researching, and learning about prospects. Excellent Job to moderators for providing such a great all inclusive NFL board!

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

It depends on his snap count and targets. But if he plays as the #3 WR, I think he could easily put up 400-500 yards. In that situation, I could see him getting 55-60 targets and having 40 receptions. At 12 yards per catch, that would be 480 yards. Though TDs are difficult to predict, I think he could have somewhere around 4 TDs.
              40 rec, 480 yds, 4 tds.

Dang, all this time I thought you were down on Palmer. Those stats aren’t bad at all.

Of the 23 WRs drafted in the 3rd round since 2015, here are the top-8 rookie seasons:

1. Terry McLauren: 58, 919, 7
              2. Cooper Kupp: 62, 869, 5
              3. Dionte Johnson: 59, 680, 5
              4. Tyler Lockett: 51, 664, 6
              5. Chris Godwin: 34, 525, 1
              6. Michael Gallup: 33, 507, 2
              7. Kenny Golliday: 28, 477, 3
              8. Tre’Quan Smith: 28, 427, 5

So by your projections, Palmer would have around the 5th or 6th best rookie season of all 3rd round WRs selected since 2015.

I really dig your optimism, man. I’d be thrilled if he turns out as good as any of the guys on that list.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

I thought I was being very generous with 15 minutes per. I was at about 1.5 hours with Darrisaw and Jenkins, 1 hour with Sewell and Slater, 45 minutes with Little, and 15-30 minutes with AVT, Leatherwood, Cosmi, and others. And I also watched 3 30+ minute compliation/ranking videos for OL. It ends up averaging well over an hour per prospect.

Just the condensed highlights from a single game run 20 to 25 minutes. Yeah, half the snaps are on the wrong side, but scrolling through to find the right spots takes time too.

Plus with WR, you usually have to watch each snap 1 to 3 times just to figure out where he's aligned on the play.

7 to 8 minutes of film study is not nearly enough time to establish so firm and opinion. That's just watching highlights.

Comment

• DragonIce
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2021
                  • Arizona
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
                  So by your projections, Palmer would have around the 5th or 6th best rookie season of all 3rd round WRs selected since 2015.

I really dig your optimism, man. I’d be thrilled if he turns out as good as any of the guys on that list.
                  That was some smooth work there, bro. Ask the innocent question...pin someone down on quantifiables, then dish the hard facts.

For a guy like Crusher.... Palmer could post that production and more and it would still be a horrible draft selection.

Chain's theme is unwavering: "TT's selection was unthinkable! Palmer was picked .87 of a round higher than the projections of 64% of scouting gurus! What foolishness, So so so so so wrong! Wrong I say! "
                  Last edited by DragonIce; 08-26-2021, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post

For a guy like Crusher.... Palmer could post that production and more and it would still be a horrible draft selection.

Chain's theme is unwavering: "The inhumanity of TT's selection! Palmer was picked .87 of a round lower than the projections of 64% of scouting gurus! What foolishness, So so so so so wrong! Wrong I say! "
                    I’m just baffled by Chain’s negativity about Palmer if those #s reflect his expectations. The projections look pretty damn good to me.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

I don’t know how anyone could watch Palmer burst wide open in the end zone and catch the only TD pass of the day and not be giddy
                      Much as I can’t see how anyone could watch him systematically move the chains all the way down the field in Gm1 and not be giggling!

scrubs, shrubs, snubs … I’ve seen WR rookies take 3 yrs to get a handle on the NFL game, this kid looks like a man on the field day 1. He’s not Jerry Rice, ok. Contributors help teams win.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                        I don’t know how anyone could watch Palmer burst wide open in the end zone and catch the only TD pass of the day and not be giddy
                        Much as I can’t see how anyone could watch him systematically move the chains all the way down the field in Gm1 and not be giggling!

scrubs, shrubs, snubs … I’ve seen WR rookies take 3 yrs to get a handle on the NFL game, this kid looks like a man on the field day 1. He’s not Jerry Rice, ok. Contributors help teams win.
                        He's a Gunner too.
                        Along with Facyson, Campbell.
                        ​​​​Big, athletic, hungry dudes.

We gotta figure out these final roster spots.
                        ​​​No more schlubs.

I'll start.
                        Gimme
                        Jason Moore over KJ.
                        ​​​​​​Bradwell over Kelley.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Meanwhile, Ja’Maar Chase is trying to figure out how to catch a football in practice and during games. No bueno for a top 10 first round pick. I rather have a third round pick with this problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X