First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gzubeck
    replied
    Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

we’d get to hate a guy we’ve hated for a very long time. Continuity, brah!

I think the weirder part will be learning to love him when he installs a professional defense, hires professional offensive leaders, and manages game day decisions professionally and flips a 5-12 record to 12-5 in a single season with minimal roster changes.
    I don't know about this...the only thing we have going for us right now is a QB...our oline outright stinks and we need at least three new and better oline players with depth. I do think we have more pieces than New england at the moment but belicheck over saw most of that fiasco for the last 3 years.

Leave a comment:

• Budsman
    replied
    Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post
    If Belichick becomes the next Charger head coach and things go south,

could you imagine how brutal this forum would be on him?

All the hatred towards the Super Bowl Cheatriots magnified ten-fold.

It would almost be worth it.
    Imo if we hire anyone and things go south this forum
    would be brutal. Luckily Belichek is good at winning.

Leave a comment:

• Budsman
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

What I am against - more than anything - is the flavor of the month hot Coordinator (offense or defense) with like two years or less experience as a coordinator with a very small resume to fall back on. Kellen Moore falls under that almost as much as say Staley. Moore has only been an assistant since 2018.

For say Zach Taylor there is a Kliff Kingsbury - -of course the front office has helped in Cincy while in AZ - that was almost a Charger like cluster. So the organization matters. But for sure, a Kyle Shanahan type would be awesome but a few things about Kyle Shanahan compared to say Ben Johnson - Shanahan was an OC for 8 years before he got the gig with the Niners. Sure, he worked for his Dad part of the time but also was OC with the Browns (and we know what a crap show that was - but a great learning experience probably) as well as the Falcons

Ben Johnson - barely two years as an OC
    Bobby Slowik - one year
    Mike McDonalds Ravens DC - 8 years coaching total, one year as DC for Michigan and now one year for DC in Baltimore

Where is that Kyle Shanahan that has a crap load of experience and truly the only name that comes to mind is Eric Public (or Sleeping with) Bieniemy |__ __ | - the touchdown signal he used to do. Unless you hire Todd Monken type
    I agree with you. We can’t go for the hotness again. We need a proven winner and a Head Coach not a coordinator. I hope we get Belichek. That guy knows more about football than all the hotness coaches combined and he commands respect or he punches you with his and Tom Brady’s rings . In my opinion we need a culture shift. I wouldn’t be mad at Harbaugh either but Belichek is a winner and would give instant accountability and credibility to the team.

Leave a comment:

• dmac_bolt
    replied

we’d get to hate a guy we’ve hated for a very long time. Continuity, brah!

I think the weirder part will be learning to love him when he installs a professional defense, hires professional offensive leaders, and manages game day decisions professionally and flips a 5-12 record to 12-5 in a single season with minimal roster changes.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
    I still don't understand what this front office saw in year 1 of Staley's tenure to entrust him to go with the McVay approach and load up on a top heavy roster. If we had a top 5 defense and went deep into the playoffs in 2021, that's another matter, but truth be told, you should know what you have in a head coach within the first year of his tenure, and he had shown that he was no different from our previous forays.

As far as bringing in Belichick or some other Superbowl-winning head coach, I think history has proven that those tenures never lead a team to the promised land. Sure, Sean Payton would have made us a more interesting team, but it would probably be akin to the Dolphins in the Marino era. Belichick would be even more of a wildcard, and cost a lot more. I only see real prospects with Harbaugh since he has yet to win a Superbowl, but has shown a propensity to change culture and lead his teams to dominance.
    Harbaugh is still the top target for me
    Now that he will be available but Vrabel would be second
    I probably have Quinn third - even ahead of Hoodie

Hoodie - well I would take him over a lot of candidates - but he would need a GM and maybe a different coaching staff - not so much nepotism with the family and friends plan

As for the plan with Staley - on paper the movies seemed good to me. Granted, it was pushing cap. But again, player evaluation with Tom John and Staley -its not good

Leave a comment:

• jaguarmanftype
    replied
    I still don't understand what this front office saw in year 1 of Staley's tenure to entrust him to go with the McVay approach and load up on a top heavy roster. If we had a top 5 defense and went deep into the playoffs in 2021, that's another matter, but truth be told, you should know what you have in a head coach within the first year of his tenure, and he had shown that he was no different from our previous forays.

As far as bringing in Belichick or some other Superbowl-winning head coach, I think history has proven that those tenures never lead a team to the promised land. Sure, Sean Payton would have made us a more interesting team, but it would probably be akin to the Dolphins in the Marino era. Belichick would be even more of a wildcard, and cost a lot more. I only see real prospects with Harbaugh since he has yet to win a Superbowl, but has shown a propensity to change culture and lead his teams to dominance.

Leave a comment:

• Maniaque 6
    replied

I'm no longer a Chargers fan.

Leave a comment:

• jamrock
    replied
    Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    I’m looking forward to Belichick’s answers to Poppers questions at press conferences

Leave a comment:

• NOrvMeNow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• richpjr
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I hear you, of course it has to be a good offensive coach. We should have hired Payton after the playoff debacle when he wanted to coach here
    What I am against - more than anything - is the flavor of the month hot Coordinator (offense or defense) with like two years or less experience as a coordinator with a very small resume to fall back on. Kellen Moore falls under that almost as much as say Staley. Moore has only been an assistant since 2018.

For say Zach Taylor there is a Kliff Kingsbury - -of course the front office has helped in Cincy while in AZ - that was almost a Charger like cluster. So the organization matters. But for sure, a Kyle Shanahan type would be awesome but a few things about Kyle Shanahan compared to say Ben Johnson - Shanahan was an OC for 8 years before he got the gig with the Niners. Sure, he worked for his Dad part of the time but also was OC with the Browns (and we know what a crap show that was - but a great learning experience probably) as well as the Falcons

Ben Johnson - barely two years as an OC
    Bobby Slowik - one year
    Mike McDonalds Ravens DC - 8 years coaching total, one year as DC for Michigan and now one year for DC in Baltimore

Where is that Kyle Shanahan that has a crap load of experience and truly the only name that comes to mind is Eric Public (or Sleeping with) Bieniemy |__ __ | - the touchdown signal he used to do. Unless you hire Todd Monken type

Leave a comment:

• CanadianBoltFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I would take Mike Vrabel or Todd Bowles at this point over guys like McCoy, Lynn, Kingsbury, McDaniels, Hackett, Nagy

I am not against an Offensive minded HC - I wanted Payton last year and want Harbaugh this year. But again, I am not limiting to one side of the ball
    I hear you, of course it has to be a good offensive coach. We should have hired Payton after the playoff debacle when he wanted to coach here

Leave a comment:

Working...
X