First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boltx
    replied
    Originally posted by captaind View Post

No heartache for me, I’ll throw down my divorce papers.

When your team is playing 17 away games and you have 2 coaches available that have the potential to change that, and you choose to not even consider them? Then you’ve shown your hand - you don’t care who’s in the seats, just as long as somebody bought the ticket. Thanks but no thanks, I’ll go somewhere else and start over. We’ve all let Lucy pull the ball away a few too many times.
    Well said, sir.

Leave a comment:

• Critty
    replied
    Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Funny to hear Staley’s main defender on the forum say “build a defense”. Staley has had 3 years to do it and hasn’t. Doesn’t that answer the question definitively for you
    I don't view it that way.
    They have been inconsistent. I don't like that.
    But they have had games and stretches where they have played very well. Staley didn't accidentally coach the #1D with Rams. Staley didn't accidentally have some game plans slow down some very good offense. I watch it happen last year and this year. So I'm not as down as many fans are.
    I feel like this year, all but 1 of the close games was the offense that didn't close games when they had the chance.
    The defense is still not champion level.....and needs to be both with personnel and performance, but my overall assessment is if the offense performance was better then they would have beat Cowboys, Packers, Ravens, Broncos, Dolphins.
    And would be 10-3 and #1 in AFC. But the offense failed to close vs Dolphins. In my view. I know defense didn't have the best day. But JH10 and offense had the ball down 2pts with the opportunity to walk it off. And isn't that what ballers say. Just want the opportunity. They didn't get it done. And then vs Packers, Cowboys, Ravens, Broncos. The defense did enough those days to give the offense plenty of chances to win the game. Offense struggled to score. Injury has slowed them down some. But it's no excuses and Staley is clearly on the hot seat with most fans and media.

I'm.just more patient. Feels like throwing out Baby Staley with the bathwater. There's been a lot of good accomplished in a short time. And I'd like to see them build on it. I don't take the low penalties and special teams for granted. I'm giving him credit for that. And I will give him a bounce back year and 4th year before I hit reset button. I'm on that limb all alone. I can handle the smoke.

Leave a comment:

• captaind
    replied
    Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Funny to hear Staley’s main defender on the forum say “build a defense”. Staley has had 3 years to do it and hasn’t. Doesn’t that answer the question definitively for you
    But he’s getting better every week!

Leave a comment:

• jamrock
    replied
    Originally posted by Critty View Post

We do get lucky with franchise QB. But can't seem to build a OL and running attack so he can do the most damage. Rivers and Herbert have to play with opponents in their lap too often.

And then build a D. To win championships.

The only thing Chargers have been known for ........over decades. Passing Yards!!!. Light up the League!!!

Not OLine.Not Defense.Not physical football.Not specialTeam.

Just passing Yards!!!! And falling to win close games.
    Well duh. Incomplete team going frustrate fans.

Leave a comment:

• captaind
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of Harbaugh chatter on these forums again and I think you guys are just setting yourself up for heartache.

It's fun to dream but IMO there's still a decent chance THAT STALEY RETURNS for year 4 a la McCoy and Lynn.

It would be a totally Chargers thing to do, too.

Best case/realistic for us would be Dan Quinn. It will likely though come down to a coordinator we've barely heard of.
    No heartache for me, I’ll throw down my divorce papers.

When your team is playing 17 away games and you have 2 coaches available that have the potential to change that, and you choose to not even consider them? Then you’ve shown your hand - you don’t care who’s in the seats, just as long as somebody bought the ticket. Thanks but no thanks, I’ll go somewhere else and start over. We’ve all let Lucy pull the ball away a few too many times.

Leave a comment:

• Critty
    replied
    Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Head coaches are extremely important in the type of team you put together.
    Telesco has always tried to accomodate their wishes.

You can not separate the head coach from the team he helps to choose, develop and train.

Some here are pretending that Staley is a helpless victim in whom is out there, and how they perform.
    Please. Staley ain't no helpless victim.
    The man is very important but isn't responsible for the entire roster. And former HCs like McCoy have made comments about not having full control over roster under Telesco/Spanos. So it sort of common knowledge by now that Chargers make team decisions with Johnny involved, Telesco involved, etc. And if they are shaping this team to be Staley guys, then he should get to see how his rookie class who made the post season as sophomore looks as seniors.

It fine for fans to say he sucks they seen enough.
    Clearly that's how you feel. Doesn't mean it's the correct that the HC is why the team hasn't had the best of seasons so far. But the HC certainly has received plenty of blame. Which is typical when teams don't live up to expectations. Regardless if 75million dollars of talent is not on the field anymore because of injury. And even when the franchise itself has never been known for great OL or great defense as a staple of how Chargers franchise does business. And for some fans that is mostly because they don't have the right coach. For this fan, it's because they don't know how to build a championship roster that even avg NFL coaches can stumble into playoffs with and better HCs do real damage.

Leave a comment:

• Bolt4Knob
    replied
    Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    My guy feeling is that Staley returns for year 4.

Basically imagine the worst possible decision that could be made...and that's what this team will do. For everything.
    And they will keep Telesco as well. Continuity. It was injuries

So they will just push like 70m of cap
    keep everybody
    Bosa, Mack, Allen, Williams, SJD and Kendricks
    Linsley will retire to save them a bit of money
    and triple down
    And than in the draft -- Telesco will pick the worst possible player with the top 10 pick

Leave a comment:

• Boltx
    replied
    My guy feeling is that Staley returns for year 4.

Basically imagine the worst possible decision that could be made...and that's what this team will do. For everything.

Leave a comment:

• Critty
    replied
    Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

What makes you think Staley had anything to do with it? Couldn't it have been Lombardi? The other part of your post is 100% spot on.

Thanks.
    I listen to what Staley said. He was very clear when he was hired that Chargers needed to win at line of scrimmage if they were going to get where they wanted to go. And then the very first thing that happen was back to back OL Rd 1 picks. Linsley is first free agent. And Mack his first trade. All Line of Scrimmage upgrades. it wasnt mid rd picks or second tier free agent or decent edge. It was top capital for top talent. And even if the JCJ didn't work. It was big time move to try and get lockdown corner. The ripple effect of what the defense can do when you can matchup and take out weapon with Lockdown CB can really elevate a defense. Didn't work. But the right idea. DL, Edge. Lockdown playmaking CB. The plan is still the plan. And it's a good plan. Keep building. More OL, more DL, Edge, more CBs.

Leave a comment:

• wu-dai clan
    replied
    Am I supposed to pretend that successful A Gap and B Gap blitzes did not occur vs DEN...and elsewhere...on numerous occasions ?

Leave a comment:

• AFboltfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Critty View Post

Zion is fine. He had zero pressure allow last game.
    And I've seen him pancake in the run game. He will get better ever year. Slater and Zion at LT, LG is a great start to building what JH10 deserves. Pipkins ain't it. That's a whiff that Telesco doubled down on. Bad roster management in my view. And RT has been awful most Telesco years.

It bad drafting Fluker, Lamp, Watt, Tuerk aren't even in the league.

The very next OT off the board after Fluker was Pugh who is still starting in the league a decade later. It's not the coaches that magically kept Pugh in the league. It's that player football journey and dedication to be a 10 year vet.

Watt OG and again the very next OG drafted is Trai Turner, still in the league.

Tuerk OC, and the very next OC off the board G.Glasgow starting in league still.

Lamp OL, and very next OL off board D.Dawkins starting in league still

It's whiff city under Telesco. His best OL picks were Slater and Zion and I credit Staley for it. But he literally could have built a really good OL. If he pick the next guy off the board at OL positions.
    And he had 1 draft if he just picked the BPA DL from power 5, he would have done 10 times better than what he did with Gordon trade up and Mager picks, draft capital.
    What makes you think Staley had anything to do with it? Couldn't it have been Lombardi? The other part of your post is 100% spot on.

Leave a comment:

• Critty
    replied
    Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
    At that years Senior Bowl, Zion received a lot of praise, from diverse NFL sources.
    Flash forward to now.
    Is the problem bad drafting, or bad player development ?
    Forest Lamp, Dan Feeney, Max Tuerk...same.
    We are getting killed by the fact that we cannot run the football.
    It is mostly 20-20 hindsight to now say that we draft poorly.
    If we fire Telesco (and we should now) it will be for having uncanny shitty luck.

Zion is fine. He had zero pressure allow last game.
    And I've seen him pancake in the run game. He will get better ever year. Slater and Zion at LT, LG is a great start to building what JH10 deserves. Pipkins ain't it. That's a whiff that Telesco doubled down on. Bad roster management in my view. And RT has been awful most Telesco years.

It bad drafting Fluker, Lamp, Watt, Tuerk aren't even in the league.

The very next OT off the board after Fluker was Pugh who is still starting in the league a decade later. It's not the coaches that magically kept Pugh in the league. It's that player football journey and dedication to be a 10 year vet.

Watt OG and again the very next OG drafted is Trai Turner, still in the league.

Tuerk OC, and the very next OC off the board G.Glasgow starting in league still.

Lamp OL, and very next OL off board D.Dawkins starting in league still

It's whiff city under Telesco. His best OL picks were Slater and Zion and I credit Staley for it. But he literally could have built a really good OL. If he pick the next guy off the board at OL positions.
    And he had 1 draft if he just picked the BPA DL from power 5, he would have done 10 times better than what he did with Gordon trade up and Mager picks, draft capital.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X