• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Staley’s hearing footsteps.

I thought he was in over his head as a HC. He’s made some critical mistakes and it doesn’t seem like his style is winning over the players. It’s too bad because I was buying what he was selling when he came on board but now it seems like snake oil. He conned TT and Spanos too. The more obvious choice with a qb like Herbert was Daboll.

he must be aware of the Payton talk. It’s like an 800 pound gorilla and he went from a fresh face a year ago to a has been so quickly. Nobody’s talking about Brandon Staley’s innovative coaching style and game management anymore.

I kind of feel sorry for him at this point. He’s twisting g in the wind.

he has a chance to rewrite the script but we’ll have to see. If he doesn’t he’s just another in a long line of inexpensive first time HC’s that the Chargers took a flyer on and came up snake eyes. You’d think the law of averages would save them once in a blue moon.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
      This guy took out the important stuff from that Payton/Saints discussion.

we're outa the picture then. He said "strength thru ownership and FO"...that does NOT exist here. Say bye bye to Payton. He's gonna go to Denver and we'll be the bottom-dwellers forever now. We can compete with the raiturds for the worst record in the division.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

I get the criticism of his defense. But let's remember Staley inherited a losing team with a terrible OL and terrible special teams.
        The OL got better, the ST got better. It's like you all forgot how horrible those parts of the team were.
        His team is injured but 4-3. He has the guts to go for it which I like. He isnt afraid to get fired. He will not play the not to lose style. He is going for the win every time..
        I'm very interested in seeing if his wounded team can go get a win vs Falcons. I could care less if the game is close or an ugly struggle. If he leaves with the W, that's all that matters.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

we're outa the picture then. He said "strength thru ownership and FO"...that does NOT exist here. Say bye bye to Payton. He's gonna go to Denver and we'll be the bottom-dwellers forever now. We can compete with the raiturds for the worst record in the division.
          Denver has new owners. They have no track record and their front office is awful with a big commitment to an aging, declining QB.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Payton has nine playoff appearances in 15 seasons as a head coach. His record in the postseason is 9-8.

No head coach has Super Bowl victories with two different teams. Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, George Seifert, Mike Ditka, Jon Gruden...the list goes on and on.

Why exactly are so many people pushing for Payton?

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Why would he go to Denver if Russell Wilson is still there?
              I guess he's had success short term with guys who scramble around a lot;
              but one would think he wants an accurate pocket passer above all else, which isn't Russell Wilson.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                Payton has nine playoff appearances in 15 seasons as a head coach. His record in the postseason is 9-8.

No head coach has Super Bowl victories with two different teams. Bill Parcells, Jimmy Johnson, Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, George Seifert, Mike Ditka, Jon Gruden...the list goes on and on.

Why exactly are so many people pushing for Payton?
                You just answered your question.
                Winning a Super Bowl is mostly a crap shoot. Very few head and shoulder better teams have existed since the 80s/90s.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Denver has new owners. They have no track record and their front office is awful with a big commitment to an aging, declining QB.
                  trudat. I just know he wouldnt come to the bolts if he is indeed looking for strong owners and GM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

trudat. I just know he wouldnt come to the bolts if he is indeed looking for strong owners and GM.
                    Owners won't change......unless he knows something with Brees in mind who wants to head a group to buy the team,......and Telesco should be fired if Staley gets fired.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

You just answered your question.
                      Winning a Super Bowl is mostly a crap shoot. Very few head and shoulder better teams have existed since the 80s/90s.
                      That didn't answer my question at all. LOL.

Winning a Super Bowl is not mostly a craphsoot. Otherwise Bill Belichick wouldn't have six rings since 2001.

Payton's 9-8 record in the postseason is not impressive.

Jim Harbaugh taking the 49ers to three NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick as his quarterbacks is very impressive. And it would have been two Super Bowl appearances if Kyle Williams hadn't turned it over twice on punt returns against the Giants in the 2011 NFC Championship game.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                        We Are The Storm!
                        • Aug 2018
                        • Send PM

I would be fine with either of those coaches.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

That didn't answer my question at all. LOL.

Winning a Super Bowl is not mostly a craphsoot. Otherwise Bill Belichick wouldn't have six rings since 2001.

Payton's 9-8 record in the postseason is not impressive.

Jim Harbaugh taking the 49ers to three NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl with Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick as his quarterbacks is very impressive. And it would have been two Super Bowl appearances if Kyle Williams hadn't turned it over twice on punt returns against the Giants in the 2011 NFC Championship game.
                          And they went to 10 Super Bowls.....and to the AFC championship game most every year.

Belichick's Pats were a head and shoulder better team over the AFC most years during their Super Bowl run era.
                          They were also situated in the weakest AFC division, so most all their playoff games went through foxborough.

It was a unique situation.....some of their best teams didn't win the Super Bowl, at least one of their lesser teams did.

BTW, 9 - 8 would put Payton at the top of the heap for Charger head coaching all time playoff percentage.

Ross was 500%,
                          Coryell was under 500 % & 33 % including the Cardinals (who kept on losing to the Rams)
                          Norv was 500 %
                          Marty was 0%
                          Last edited by powderblueboy; 11-06-2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X