• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Payton and Harbaugh.
    I would expect both to want to be paid extremely well along with full control over staff and roster.

Chargers fired a 14-2 coach who insisted he had that right per his contract to have full control over his coaching staff.
    Dean said No it's my team, you will do as your told. Goodbye.

There is no way Spanos concede and give that amount of money and control to any HC.

Norv, McCoy, Lynn, Staley is the type of HC you will get again. Someone who desperately would love to be a HC on an NFL sideline and won't insist on control over staff and roster. They just feel blessed to have the job.

So your Staley replacement if a veteran who was HC before, then that would be Jason Garrett.

If it's a new guy first HC job, then you might get Kellen Moore the OC in Dallas. Brian Callahan the OC of Bengals. Or maybe they hire Steichen the OC of Eagles that worked with Herbert before. They interview DeMico Ryans but that just to fulfill the Rooney rule.

So that your list of who they would interview for HC job if they fire Staley.
    Garrett
    Moore
    Callahan
    Steichen
    Ryans

After they done with interviews they end up hiring J.Garrett. and then tell fans they wanted to bring in someone who has a lot of experience as HC in the NFL. They next season they end up 9-8 and going nowhere fast.

:wtf:
    Last edited by Critty; 12-07-2022, 09:11 PM.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Rivers and Fouts didn't play for Bill Parcells with Bill Belichick as the defensive coordinator and an all-time great 1986 Giants defense that had the greatest defensive player in NFL history and gave up only 23 points in the postseason to Bill Walsh and Joe Montana, Joe Gibbs, and John Elway.

Simms did have eight touchdown passes and no interceptions during that 1986 posteason, but four of the touchdown passes came in a game he was 9-19 for 136 yards, against the 49ers in the Divisonal Round. His running backs ran for 201 yards that day, Joe Morris with 159 of them. The following week, in the NFC Championship Game, Simms was 7-14 for 90 yards and a touchdown during the Giants' 17-0 win over Washington Yeah, he was great in the Super Bowl, but he threw only 25 passes in that game. He threw 58 passes that entire 1986 postseason. Rivers threw 51 passes in one playoff game.

I don't like your answer because you don't take into account that Simms wouldn't have won a Super Bowl with Norv Turner, Mike McCoy, or Anthony Lynn as his head coach.
      It was a more run game type of NFL back then. Not nearly as pass happy as it is now. Turnovers are such big momentum swings and often one of the most telling numbers in regard to success on gameday.

I'm okay with you disgree with my take..I just think it's about players making plays. I don't see any HC good enough to scheme themselves to a Title. They all need players stepping up and making plays. The better players win their matchups on GameDay helping to win more ball games. Each playoff game is a game 7. A few poor decision on where to throw the ball and there is no next game. You are done.

49ers are 5-10 in games Nick Bosa doesn't play. "Bosa is a special player, and he's just as valuable this year as he was his rookie year," head coach Kyle Shanahan said "He was the difference for us in 2019, and we missed him greatly last year (6-10 record in 2020). And you guys can see why again this year.". (10-7 in 2021, advanced to NFCCG)

Seems like Kyle has no issue admitting he needs stars healthy to win games. I dont know why Chargers fans can't give Staley the benefit of doubt when he is missing he best DL and best OL along with so many other starters.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Lynn got booted out of Detroit in half a season and now they’re putting up over 30 points a game.

Shanahan has known Lynn since he was a kid and did Lynn a solid. Family ties. Do you think Lynn has done anything meaningful at SF? I do t. That machine was well in place.
        Lions score 26 per game avg. But also have been shutout once and scored only 6 once as well. Also have some empty calories with scoring to catch up. So they are a bit erratic but do seem to be improving.

Campbell year 2
        5-7
        6th in points scored
        32nd in points allowed.

Lynn year 2
        12-4 and a playoff win.
        6th in points scored
        8th in points allowed.

I don't know how much help Lynn is for Shanahan, but he is better for their style of play.

Campbell and Lynn are both updating their resumes.
        I'm thinking Lynn will get some interviews again for HC job.
        All of a sudden Lynn former staff member Steichen is a hot HC candidate. And TPB is saying Staley should have kept Shane on staff as OC.

Prisoner of the moment.
        in a vacuum Campbell looks better than Lynn right now But when you read resumes, Lynn is better.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

It was a more run game type of NFL back then. Not nearly as pass happy as it is now. Turnovers are such big momentum swings and often one of the most telling numbers in regard to success on gameday.

I'm okay with you disgree with my take..I just think it's about players making plays. I don't see any HC good enough to scheme themselves to a Title. They all need players stepping up and making plays. The better players win their matchups on GameDay helping to win more ball games. Each playoff game is a game 7. A few poor decision on where to throw the ball and there is no next game. You are done.

49ers are 5-10 in games Nick Bosa doesn't play. "Bosa is a special player, and he's just as valuable this year as he was his rookie year," head coach Kyle Shanahan said "He was the difference for us in 2019, and we missed him greatly last year (6-10 record in 2020). And you guys can see why again this year.". (10-7 in 2021, advanced to NFCCG)

Seems like Kyle has no issue admitting he needs stars healthy to win games. I dont know why Chargers fans can't give Staley the benefit of doubt when he is missing he best DL and best OL along with so many other starters.

I don't deny that coaches need players. But unlike the 1980s, in which the league was dominated by a handful of teams in the NFC, there's now a salary cap, so the rosters aren't as deep. Therefore coaching is much more important than you're making it out to be.

Just look at what Uchenna Nwosu is doing for Pete Carroll in Seattle. He has nine sacks in 12 games for Pete Carroll. He had 15 sacks in four years for us.

You brought up the 49ers being 5-10 without Nick Bosa, a stat that needs to be dug into deeper because you need to know who else was injured at the same time he was. Meanwhile the 49ers have been killed with injuries all over the place this year, and they're at the top of their division, with a record of 8-4. They just won a game over Miami with the last pick of this past April's draft playing three quarters at quarterback. Can you picture Brandon Staley being able to do that with Chase Daniel or Easton Stick?

Yes, it was more of a "run game type of NFL" in 1986 than it is now, but there's a reason why Phil Simms threw only 58 passes that entire postseason in comparison to Joe Montana's 108 passes during the 49ers' 1984 championship postseason. Simms was not a quarterback who was asked to carry a team the way Rivers was. Further evidence is Simms got injured during the Giants 14th regular-season game in 1990 and they went undefeated the rest of the way to a Super Bowl victory with Jeff Hostetler.

You also ignored the point I made regarding Phil Simms wouldn't have had a chance at winning a Super Bowl with the coaching Rivers had. Rivers was screwed after Marty was fired in 2006.

Comment

• lightsout42
            Hire a winning coach
            • Oct 2019
            • Send PM

I dont know why Chargers fans can't give Staley the benefit of doubt when he is missing he best DL and best OL along with so many other starters.
            I don’t need to give him any such benefit because I’m not merely judging his record, which is not a good one in every case. I would readily admit that injuries have hurt this team.

Rather, I’m also judging his leadership, his staff, his scheme, his applied strategy, his coaching, and two years of unprepared teams.

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

You also ignored the point I made regarding Phil Simms wouldn't have had a chance at winning a Super Bowl with the coaching Rivers had. Rivers was screwed after Marty was fired in 2006.
              I did miss that point.
              Dumbest move ever by Spanos.
              Marty coached team made playoffs often.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post

I don’t need to give him any such benefit because I’m not merely judging his record, which is not a good one in every case. I would readily admit that injuries have hurt this team.

Rather, I’m also judging his leadership, his staff, his scheme, his applied strategy, his coaching, and two years of unprepared teams.
                There is another thing about Staley that needs to be examined...the 3rd quarter...the Chargers have been ridiculously bad and outplayed in 3rd quarters....given that this is a crucial point in all football games...given that this is when adjustments are made and coaching really comes into play during a football game....questions have to be asked there also...are the continuing season long brutal 3rd quarters merely coincidence or coaching?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

What is the call from the judgemental ones on the first two plays of the third quarter vs the Raiders ?

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• northerner
                    Charger fan since '79
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

I want Jim Harbaugh. If we can't get him, find the next great coach. They all had their first head-coaching job at some point.

Did you notice that no head coach has ever won a Super Bowl, gone to another team, and won another Super Bowl? Bill Parcells...Tom Flores...Jimmy Johnson...Mike Holmgren...George Seifert...Mike Ditka...Mike Shanahan...all of them couldn't do it with the next team...and in Parcells' case the second, third, and fourth time around.

On top of that, I'm not a fan of Payton's style and overall history. I mentioned the playoff games his teams lost when they should have won. He also squandered three straight years of Brees's prime: 2014 through 2016. I also don't see him as a good fit with Herbert. I can see it transpiring in a similar manner to what happened between Jimmy Johnson and Dan Marino.
                    Harbaugh and Payton are probably the best 2 choices out there, but i think Sean Payton is more creative on offense.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      What is the call from the judgemental ones on the first two plays of the third quarter vs the Raiders ?
                      An Ekler fumble is a very tiny, hand picked example. It falls short of a much larger body of evidence all season long

The team comes out of the half flat and unprepared to handle adjustments.

The Chargers are 30th in 3rd quarter scoring, ahead of only Denver and Pittsburgh, with Justin Herbert as your QB

There was a 4 game stretch in November when the Chargers were outscored 51-3 in the 3rd quarter.

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Payton and Harbaugh.
                        I would expect both to want to be paid extremely well along with full control over staff and roster.

Chargers fired a 14-2 coach who insisted he had that right per his contract to have full control over his coaching staff.
                        Dean said No it's my team, you will do as your told. Goodbye.

There is no way Spanos concede and give that amount of money and control to any HC.

Norv, McCoy, Lynn, Staley is the type of HC you will get again. Someone who desperately would love to be a HC on an NFL sideline and won't insist on control over staff and roster. They just feel blessed to have the job.

So your Staley replacement if a veteran who was HC before, then that would be Jason Garrett.

If it's a new guy first HC job, then you might get Kellen Moore the OC in Dallas. Brian Callahan the OC of Bengals. Or maybe they hire Steichen the OC of Eagles that worked with Herbert before. They interview DeMico Ryans but that just to fulfill the Rooney rule.

So that your list of who they would interview for HC job if they fire Staley.
                        Garrett
                        Moore
                        Callahan
                        Steichen
                        Ryans

After they done with interviews they end up hiring J.Garrett. and then tell fans they wanted to bring in someone who has a lot of experience as HC in the NFL. They next season they end up 9-8 and going nowhere fast.

:wtf:
                        i hate to say it, but you bring up some good points. and yes, J. Garrett would be the ultimate yes-man to hire.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

An Ekler fumble is a very tiny, hand picked example. It falls short of a much larger body of evidence all season long

The team comes out of the half flat and unprepared to handle adjustments.

The Chargers are 30th in 3rd quarter scoring, ahead of only Denver and Pittsburgh, with Justin Herbert as your QB

There was a 4 game stretch in November when the Chargers were outscored 51-3 in the 3rd quarter.
                          Popper broke down a lot of the 3rd quarter struggles and it really does seem to be much more about execution than being vastly out schemed. Dropped passes, penalties, RBs hitting the wrong hole, etc. have plagued us a lot. Now whatever inspirational messages the coaching staff may be giving them at the half sure isn't getting that focus from the players.

Comment

Working...
                          X