• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I’m kind of digging how Jared Goff is resurrecting his career lately. He had 340 passing yards and 75.6% completion rate against the Jags last game.

coaching???
    There is a cool video where, on camera, Goff is informed that he is the Lions Walter Payton Award nominee.

Kids in Detroit, mentored by Goff, break the news.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
      Chargers Hall of Fame
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolts0503 View Post
      Agree with those giving a shout out to the Lions. It is one thing to watch the hapless Bengals turn things around while we are still stuck in mediocrity, but if the Lions become more exciting than us, all is lost. Oh, didn't anyone wish Staley a Happy Anniversary Monday, 12/5? It marked a calendar year since he beat a good team.
      I'm trying to recall one single game in Staley's tenure that I've thought that he outcoached the opposition. I can think of MANY times we've heard the pundits (and us) state that Staley's staff was outcoached. But can you think of a game where HE dialed up a strategic and creative difference, where he instilled a game plan that made us go, "Wow!"?

As much as I couldn't stand the overall awful defense that was run by Gus, at least I was wowed by his creativity in that playoff game against the Ravens. He dropped ALL of his old scheme and reworked the whole thing with a myriad of DBs (hey, Staley loves that) in order to shut down a rookie Lamar.

It seems as though Staley comes into each week with HIS scheme, no matter the players we have. Lombo too.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        Simms was the 7th overall pick of draft. He was Superbowl MVP who hold record for highest completion percentage in Superbowl. 2 time pro bowl QB. 1 time All pro. He was a great QB. Testevrde and Bledsoe we're number 1 overall picks and we're pro bowl QBs. Those are talented QBs to work with.

Ditka benefits from league not ready for the 46 defense which blitz the league. Once the NFL teams adjusted that was it for the Bears dominate defense. They would have won more with a better QB.

Plunkett was a very talented QB which is why he was the 1st pick of the draft. So Flores wasnt exactly working with a guy off the street when he wins 2 SBs with Jim at QB.

Speaking of guys off the street.
        Kurt Warner took 2 teams to Superbowl.

And speaking of others off the street. Barry Switzer went on a great ride with Aikman and the stacked with talent Dallas team.

Coaching matters.
        But players win matchups and make game winning plays.
        QB matters most.

Although you're overrating Parcells' quarterbacks, you're kind of making my point. He had good (not great) quarterbacks with the Patriots, Jets, and Cowboys. He didn't win a Super Bowl with any of them.

Aside from 1985, Ditka took the Bears to the playoffs six other times (1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991) and two NFC Championship game appearances (1984 and 1988). He also coached the Bears to a 14-2 record in 1986, with his starting quarterback out most of the year.

I couldn't care less where a quarterback was drafted. Zach Wilson was picked second overall and Sam Darnold third overall. Baker Mayfield was the first overall pick in 2018. What good is that doing them now?

Phil Simms never made All-Pro, by the way. You must have gotten that off of Wikipedia, which states the Newspaper Enterprise Association voted him first-team All-Pro and MVP in 1986. His teammate, Lawrence Taylor, was the real MVP in 1986, and Dan Marino, with 44 touchdown passes, was the real All-Pro quarterback. Simms had 21 touchdown passes and 22 interceptions in 1986. That's not getting you All-Pro.

Finally, as far as "QB matters most," why were we ring-less with Dan Fouts and Philip Rivers, and why has Justin Herbert not made the playoffs yet?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

And because he actually WON a Super Bowl?
          He won one Super Bowl in 15 years in New Orleans. He had nine playoff teams during those 15 years. Six years he didn't make the playoffs.

You all are acting like this guy is Bill Walsh or VINCE Lombardi.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

But keeping an ineffective coach is way better than letting him go. Right.

Herbie has regressed this year. Let's expose him to a 3rd year with ineffective coaching. That's smart.

The team has not played a SINGLE, IMPRESSIVE 60-MINUTE GAME ALL SEASON. They've stayed "competitive" against bottom feeders and got lucky on a couple other wins. ALL of their wins, even by this board's standards, have been called 'ugly'. But let's keep the Head Coach and the GM. That should work. Ever hear about the 'Definition of Insanity'?

Somebody posted an article by some sportswriter that holds Staley accountable, injuries aside, for the abysmal product on the field this year. I suggest you read it. Because only the most hopeless Pollyannas can see anything positive about this season's Chargers. They are horrible. Probably bottom 7-8 in the League, regardless of W-L record.
            Willie McGinest on NFL Access today was spot on when he said you can have a great blueprint and game plan but if your players aren't winning their one on one battles. And losing the line of scrimmage because you don't have the guys that can win those matchups. There nothing you can do. At the end of the day you need players to make plays on the football field. He was saying this to explain why Daboll and NY Giants started 6-1, then went 1-3-1 with the only win in last 5 games against Texans. He said scheme and game plan can only do so much. You need players.

Somebody posted an article.. so what?!!! was it written by a Hall of Fame football super bowl champion who played for Belichek. It wasn't! it was written by the JAG journalist who needs clicks.

I guarantee you Willie would say Chargers are too injured right now and there is no game plan by any HC that can do anything about it. I'll trust the hall of famer opinion over yours all day and twice on Sunday.

:beer:
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Willie McGinest on NFL Access today was spot on when he said you can have a great blueprint and game plan but if your players aren't winning their one on one battles. And losing the line of scrimmage because you don't have the guys that can win those matchups. There nothing you can do. At the end of the day you need players to make plays on the football field. He was saying this to explain why Daboll and NY Giants started 6-1, then went 1-3-1 with the only win in last 5 games against Texans. He said scheme and game plan can only do so much. You need players.

Somebody posted an article.. so what?!!! was it written by a Hall of Fame football super bowl champion who played for Belichek. It wasn't! it was written by the JAG journalist who needs clicks.

I guarantee you Willie would say Chargers are too injured right now and there is no game plan by any HC that can do anything about it. I'll trust the hall of famer opinion over yours all day and twice on Sunday.

:beer:
              But this doesn't explain how our defense played so pathetically against the Raiders, Jags, and Chiefs at the beginning of the season. This was before the injury bug hit us. This was Staley's second year, plenty of time to at least field a middling-level defense, especially for a defensive-minded coach. I really just wished Staley would have focused on being the head coach and hired two competent coordinators (provided that really was his decision to make).

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Although you're overrating Parcells' quarterbacks, you're kind of making my point. He had good (not great) quarterbacks with the Patriots, Jets, and Cowboys. He didn't win a Super Bowl with any of them.

Aside from 1985, Ditka took the Bears to the playoffs six other times (1984, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991) and two NFC Championship game appearances (1984 and 1988). He also coached the Bears to a 14-2 record in 1986, with his starting quarterback out most of the year.

I couldn't care less where a quarterback was drafted. Zach Wilson was picked second overall and Sam Darnold third overall. Baker Mayfield was the first overall pick in 2018. What good is that doing them now?

Phil Simms never made All-Pro, by the way. You must have gotten that off of Wikipedia, which states the Newspaper Enterprise Association voted him first-team All-Pro and MVP in 1986. His teammate, Lawrence Taylor, was the real MVP in 1986, and Dan Marino, with 44 touchdown passes, was the real All-Pro quarterback. Simms had 21 touchdown passes and 22 interceptions in 1986. That's not getting you All-Pro.

Finally, as far as "QB matters most," why were we ring-less with Dan Fouts and Philip Rivers, and why has Justin Herbert not made the playoffs yet?
                It's a team game and a QB driven league.

Rivers was overrated. When I look at his 11 playoff performances for Chargers and see his TD to TO numbers, 14TDs and 11Ints it is not surprising he didn't do much. QB averages of around 1TD and 1TO per playoff game isn't likely to do much damage. Rivers did get let down by the kicker who came up super small in some winnable games, but Philip wasn't good enough.
                Fouts didn't play well enough in the post season either. In just 7 games total he threw 12TDs but 16ints. That's too many turnovers to not get bounced from post season.

Herbert is halfway through year 3 of his career.
                Did you expect him to make playoffs as a rookie?
                Did you expect him to make it year 2 with a new scheme and coach with KC Superbowl champs in his division. He has a chance this year..... But he has to play better as well.

QB driven league. But I'm glad you mentioned L.Taylor who is possibly the best defensive player ever. The dude could get after the QB and destroy a game plan all by himself. It's takes players making plays to win the big games.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Been a bit of chatter between Orlovsky and Warren Sharp today on Daboll and the Chargers as both think the playcalling would be better

As I recall, Schefter broke the story the Saturday morning of the Ravens/Bills game (it was the later game of the two play off games that Saturday). that Daboll was the "front runner"

I was rooting for the Ravens to allow Daboll to be the hire. Bills won and by Sunday night, the Chargers hired Staley. Peter Shrager reported the Chargers didn't want to lose out on Staley to the Texans or the Eagles

So did JohnBoy panic that it was going to be a WHOLE SEVEN more days to get Daboll and they had to have a coach in place so they jumped at STaley?

Or like you said, they didn't want a Daboll type. I have zero doubt the offense would be better under Daboll
                  great read, and.... would guess that John got along fabulously w/Brandon and that was the dealmaker.

Daboll might end up being a great coach, but really think you've got to get along w/your hires, and hence why Telesco ended up w/the job, as he was a welcome relief compared to AJ, and a better wingman for young Spanos than Arians.

and no guarantee the offense would be better under Daboll.... the offense is gonna be good as long as we have #10 @the helm.

it's pretty simple.... we've had the players.... it's the none of McCoy, McLynn nor McStaley that has gotten us to the playoffs.

pls don't make the same mistake we did w/the both of Lynn & McCoy, and hang on for another unnecessary two years.
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

Rivers was overrated. When I look at his 11 playoff performances for Chargers and see his TD to TO numbers, 14TDs and 11Ints it is not surprising he didn't do much. QB averages of around 1TD and 1TO per playoff game isn't likely to do much damage. Rivers did get let down by the kicker who came up super small in some winnable games, but Philip wasn't good enough.
                    Fouts didn't play well enough in the post season either. In just 7 games total he threw 12TDs but 16ints. That's too many turnovers to not get bounced from post season.

Did you expect him to make it year 2 with a new scheme and coach with KC Superbowl champs in his division. He has a chance this year..... But he has to play better as well.

QB driven league. But I'm glad you mentioned L.Taylor who is possibly the best defensive player ever. The dude could get after the QB and destroy a game plan all by himself. It's takes players making plays to win the big games.

I stopped reading after seeing you wrote, "Rivers was overrated." You wrote this after singing the praises of Phil Simms, Jim Plunkett, Drew Bledsoe, and Vinny Testaverde simply because they were all drafted in the top ten.

Willie McGinest is not a Hall of Famer, by the way.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

great read, and.... would guess that John got along fabulously w/Brandon and that was the dealmaker.

Daboll might end up being a great coach, but really think you've got to get along w/your hires, and hence why Telesco ended up w/the job, as he was a welcome relief compared to AJ, and a better wingman for young Spanos than Arians.

and no guarantee the offense would be better under Daboll.... the offense is gonna be good as long as we have #10 @the helm.

it's pretty simple.... we've had the players.... it's the none of McCoy, McLynn nor McStaley that has gotten us to the playoffs.

pls don't make the same mistake we did w/the both of Lynn & McCoy, and hang on for another unnecessary two years.
                      consistently terrible special teams under Telesco
                      consistently below average OLines
                      defenses have been average
                      the team hasn't had the players actually - look at his historical picks after Round 1

the pattern is telesco doesn't know how to pick players and he doesn;'t know how to pick coaches
                      it starts with the Spanii and Telesco - -for me

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

His kicker let him down,.McCree let him down, plus he played another playoff game with a torn ACL.

Philip was good enough.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-07-2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

He won one Super Bowl in 15 years in New Orleans. He had nine playoff teams during those 15 years. Six years he didn't make the playoffs.

You all are acting like this guy is Bill Walsh or VINCE Lombardi.
                          I'll "settle" for someone with a slightly better resume than Andy Reid before the Chiefs hired him.

When Andy Reid was with the Eagles, he made the playoffs 9 times and missed them 5 times before he was fired. His playoff record was 10-9 and he did not win a SB. As you mentioned, Payton's teams made the playoffs 9 times in 15 years. His playoff record was 9-8 and he won a SB. Results seem pretty even, aside from Payton actually winning a SB with his first team.

Comment

Working...
                          X