• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

I'm trying to recall one single game in Staley's tenure that I've thought that he outcoached the opposition. I can think of MANY times we've heard the pundits (and us) state that Staley's staff was outcoached. But can you think of a game where HE dialed up a strategic and creative difference, where he instilled a game plan that made us go, "Wow!"?

As much as I couldn't stand the overall awful defense that was run by Gus, at least I was wowed by his creativity in that playoff game against the Ravens. He dropped ALL of his old scheme and reworked the whole thing with a myriad of DBs (hey, Staley loves that) in order to shut down a rookie Lamar.

It seems as though Staley comes into each week with HIS scheme, no matter the players we have. Lombo too.
    All our LBs were injured for that Ravens game. Necessity was the mother of invention. Adrian Phillips played so well for us then but they inexplicably let him go after the season and he’s been a stalwart for the Patriots ever since.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

All our LBs were injured for that Ravens game. Necessity was the mother of invention. Adrian Phillips played so well for us then but they inexplicably let him go after the season and he’s been a stalwart for the Patriots ever since.
      Another geniius decision by Telesco when Phillips got like $3m -

the evidence is there

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

His kicker let him down,.McCree let him down, plus he played another playoff game with a torn ACL.

Philip was good enough.
        All true, except Rivers needed to be better if he was going to do anything. 1TD per game and 1TO per game isn't good enough.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I stopped reading after seeing you wrote, "Rivers was overrated." You wrote this after singing the praises of Phil Simms, Jim Plunkett, Drew Bledsoe, and Vinny Testaverde simply because they were all drafted in the top ten.

Willie McGinest is not a Hall of Famer, by the way.
          That right he has been nominated to go to hall of fame. Not in yet. But I think having the postseason record for sacks will get him in. So....I'll call him a future hall of famer.

I know it's hard for Chargers fans to admit what Rivers couldn't do. Rivers was easily the best QB in the AFC West but didn't dominate a division he should have. When you have a hall of fame RB and TE and can't even get to a super bowl that says something to me about your ability to play your best football in the biggest games. The low TDs and high TO in post season doesn't get you very far. He often tried to do too much causing delay of games or allowing opponents to time the snap easily. Force the rock into coverage. He was a gunslinger and tough as can be. But he fell flat on his face too many times in big moments. It is what it is. Same for Fouts. Just way too many turnovers in the playoffs to overcome.

you asked me why Rivers or Fouts never made the Superbowl.
          It's not my fault you dont like the answer.

I was pointing out that those HC had really good talent at QB. 1st Rd worthy talent. Pro bowl QBs. All of them. So it's not like they were just working with scrubs. Rivers never played as well as Simms did in his Superbowl run with 8TDs and 0TO.
          I would imagine if Rivers went 8TDs and 0TO he would have won a Superbowl as well. He didn't.

I see you put these wins more on the coaching and I understand that. But I put ultimate success more on the players who are on the field, especially QBs in a QB driven league.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Willie McGinest on NFL Access today was spot on when he said you can have a great blueprint and game plan but if your players aren't winning their one on one battles. And losing the line of scrimmage because you don't have the guys that can win those matchups. There nothing you can do. At the end of the day you need players to make plays on the football field. He was saying this to explain why Daboll and NY Giants started 6-1, then went 1-3-1 with the only win in last 5 games against Texans. He said scheme and game plan can only do so much. You need players.

Somebody posted an article.. so what?!!! Was it written by a Hall of Fame football super bowl champion who played for Belichek. It wasn't! it was written by the JAG journalist who needs clicks.

I guarantee you Willie would say Chargers are too injured right now and there is no game plan by any HC that can do anything about it. I'll trust the hall of famer's opinion over yours all day and twice on Sunday.

:beer:
            So Willie McGinest is the de facto expert that we all have to "trust". Just his opinion. Like the sportswriter I mentioned. Kinda of like here, where ALL of us are JAGs throwing shit against the wall, hoping something will stick. It's not a matter of "trusting" someone's opinion over another's. It's all JUST opinions, so nobody is right or wrong.

But just like Beserker76 said (and you never responded to): Even when healthy, this team's defense wasn't all that great. So it's *my* opinion that the coaching staff (and FO) is lacking. If you want to live in a blue-sky, excuses-filled world, knock yourself out. The product on the field sucks, which is pretty obvious to all but the Pollyannas of this world.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

He won one Super Bowl in 15 years in New Orleans. He had nine playoff teams during those 15 years. Six years he didn't make the playoffs.

You all are acting like this guy is Bill Walsh or VINCE Lombardi.
              Not sure you can find me a post where I'm 100% in on Payton. His name has been thrown around here a lot, but there's probably a slim to none chance that we hire the guy. Plus I don't like giving away high draft picks.

But ONE Super Bowl is more than the Chargers have won...in almost 60 years. And when was the last time the Chargers were in the playoffs 9 out of 15 years?

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Perryman has played better for the Raiders than any of our LB’s. Especially K9.

Tillery will probably become all pro now.

There’s a long list of players the Chargers gave up on that have done better elsewhere.

The latest of course is Nwuso and his 9 sacks with Seattle. It has to be coaching schemes

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

great read, and.... would guess that John got along fabulously w/Brandon and that was the dealmaker.

Daboll might end up being a great coach, but really think you've got to get along w/your hires, and hence why Telesco ended up w/the job, as he was a welcome relief compared to AJ, and a better wingman for young Spanos than Arians.

and no guarantee the offense would be better under Daboll.... the offense is gonna be good as long as we have #10 @the helm.

it's pretty simple.... we've had the players.... it's the none of McCoy, McLynn nor McStaley that has gotten us to the playoffs.

pls don't make the same mistake we did w/the both of Lynn & McCoy, and hang on for another unnecessary two years.
                  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder;

I still think Lynn was a good coach. I wish they had given him another year. His record was 33-31, not that terrible. I think these young coaches are learning as they coach, just like players learn by playing. So we get them, give them a couple of years of learning and send them off. I think you would agree that Cleveland made a mistake by firing Bill Belichick. Are we also letting these guys go too soon? I think McCoy lost the team but they liked Lynn and I think he deserved better treatment than he got from the Bolts.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

So Willie McGinest is the de facto expert that we all have to "trust". Just his opinion. Like the sportswriter I mentioned. Kinda of like here, where ALL of us are JAGs throwing shit against the wall, hoping something will stick. It's not a matter of "trusting" someone's opinion over another's. It's all JUST opinions, so nobody is right or wrong.

But just like Beserker76 said (and you never responded to): Even when healthy, this team's defense wasn't all that great. So it's *my* opinion that the coaching staff (and FO) is lacking. If you want to live in a blue-sky, excuses-filled world, knock yourself out. The product on the field sucks, which is pretty obvious to all but the Pollyannas of this world.
                    You are so off with your pollyanna narrative but whatever makes you happy. Go for it.

I'm looking at roster construction and beating KC.
                    Cheifs score 30 per.game. they scored 27 in the 1st game and that was with a pick 6. So they were held to well below their average by Staley defense. That was they last game both Bosa and Stater started and finished ......so I see losing key personnel as a factor in performance....

Comment

• QSmokey
                      Guardedly Optimistic
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kuna, Idaho
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

You are so off with your pollyanna narrative...
                      Just keep telling yourself that, over and over. Maybe you'll even convince yourself.

Comment

• Critty
                        Dominate the Day.
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        Beauty is in the eye of the beholder;

I still think Lynn was a good coach. I wish they had given him another year. His record was 33-31, not that terrible. I think these young coaches are learning as they coach, just like players learn by playing. So we get them, give them a couple of years of learning and send them off. I think you would agree that Cleveland made a mistake by firing Bill Belichick. Are we also letting these guys go too soon? I think McCoy lost the team but they liked Lynn and I think he deserved better treatment than he got from the Bolts.
                        He is currently the Assistant Head Coach of 49ers.
                        Kyle Shanahan is one of the better HC and wanted him.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Perryman has played better for the Raiders than any of our LB’s. Especially K9.

Tillery will probably become all pro now.

There’s a long list of players the Chargers gave up on that have done better elsewhere.

The latest of course is Nwuso and his 9 sacks with Seattle. It has to be coaching schemes
                          Has to be.

payton is out there and wants to come if reports are to be believed. Do it now.

Comment

Working...
                          X