• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Nervous and defensive like he knew he screwed the pooch.

Williams has zero chance of playing Saturday and that Turkey knows it.
    Maybe nervous as its a playoff game and he wants to make sure he is prepared, his team is prepared to beat the Jags.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Yep - agreed - thanks for posting Rich

Nguyen does a good job and that was good insight on Staley.
      Staley is a good DC. We might be seeing the Peter Principle when it comes to HC.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

This Staley situation has really been bugging me.
        I appreciate all the takes but I honestly can say I don't know, and that bothers me.
        I think my perception of Staley has more to do with my own lens than what is really showing.
        I think he's working a very delicate game of coaching his way and appeasing his meddling employers, just as any Chargers front office staff should be prepared to do so.

Ultimately I think what is most influencing his coaching style and decisions is his psychological propensity for aggression.
        I said before but it's becoming more and more apparent the high level of competition this guy operates within.
        I think this was his as a quarterback and essentially got robbed of his opportunity to compete by cancer.
        Kicked cancers ass and is now Far Beyond Driven (Pantera late August at sofi, see you there!)
        And if it were him playing qb on Sunday he would want to play every snap.

I don't know how this will bode for his coaching career, but I do think he is extreme and unconventional in his personality and that is aligned with his coaching.
        It might just be the right kind of crazy.
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
          I appreciate all the takes but I honestly can say I don't know, and that bothers me.
          I think my perception of Staley has more to do with my own lens than what is really showing.
          I think he's working a very delicate game of coaching his way and appeasing his meddling employers, just as any Chargers front office staff should be prepared to do so.

Ultimately I think what is most influencing his coaching style and decisions is his psychological propensity for aggression.
          I said before but it's becoming more and more apparent the high level of competition this guy operates within.
          I think this was his as a quarterback and essentially got robbed of his opportunity to compete by cancer.
          Kicked cancers ass and is now Far Beyond Driven (Pantera late August at sofi, see you there!)

I don't know how this will bode for his coaching career, but I do think he is extreme and unconventional in his personality and that is aligned with his coaching.
          I was spoiled by Joe Gibbs so he’s my idea of a perfect HC. Calm and cool…..no crazy.

”During his first stint with the Redskins, he led them to eight playoff appearances, four NFC Championshiptitles, and three Super Bowl titles over 12 seasons. Gibbs is the only head coach to have won Super Bowls with three different starting quarterbacks. Gibbs is widely regarded as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history.”

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Send PM

I was spoiled by Joe Gibbs so he’s my idea of a perfect HC. Calm and cool…..no crazy.

”During his first stint with the Redskins, he led them to eight playoff appearances, four NFC Championshiptitles, and three Super Bowl titles over 12 seasons. Gibbs is the only head coach to have won Super Bowls with three different starting quarterbacks. Gibbs is widely regarded as one of the greatest coaches in NFL history.”
            Yeah, that is a great coach. I've been watching old Cowboys and Redskins games from the early 90s, and man it is hilarious how much the sport has changed. In one game between the Eagles and Cowboys, I saw shoes being thrown, refs being pushed, players being punched in fumble scrums, players being hit after going out of bounds, receivers being mugged before they are targeted and most of these came without any penalties -- only procedural penalties like offsides or delay of game for most of the game.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Of course, all decisions are normally collaborative and that’s best practices. However, not everything works out but if the responsibility was mine I didn’t blame people that worked for me, nor people I worked for even if they were involved in the decision.

This was ultimately Staley’s decision and he tried to squirm out of responsibility by first saying the players wanted to play and then he blamed some nebulous front office entity.

A leader doesn’t do that
              Before the week 18 game, Staley decided to full-go his team into Denver. This was prior to knowing the outcome of the Ravens vs Bengals game.

The commentators during the broadcast explained why Staley couldn't just bench some players. It was even explained here on the forum, and how special teams could be weakened.

We want to win, but not at the risk of injury. We want to rest the key players, but the team will lose with backups. People want the best of both worlds. Sometimes, we have to be reminded that we can't have it both ways.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

Telling you he has not got it...
                We’ll see but MW is day to day and I’m wondering if he’ll be able to play. If MW is out Everett and Parham need to really step up to help Keenan out

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Good take. I've noticed some of the same stuff and made a note of it a couple months back there's something about this guy he can be a total frigging psychopath & you combine that with a very high IQ & obsessive dedication to the intricacies of football it's a lethal combination.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Before the week 18 game, Staley decided to full-go his team into Denver. This was prior to knowing the outcome of the Ravens vs Bengals game.

The commentators during the broadcast explained why Staley couldn't just bench some players. It was even explained here on the forum, and how special teams could be weakened.

We want to win, but not at the risk of injury. We want to rest the key players, but the team will lose with backups. People want the best of both worlds. Sometimes, we have to be reminded that we can't have it both ways.
                    Ok but then how did other coaches do it? How did Brian Daboll do it?

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Ok but then how did other coaches do it? How did Brian Daboll do it?
                      He had the luxury of knowing their team was the #6 seed no matter what happened in the game. We did not have that luxury and had to prepare as if we had to win the game.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He had the luxury of knowing their team was the #6 seed no matter what happened in the game. We did not have that luxury and had to prepare as if we had to win the game.
                        Yes, he did have that luxury.

Staley knew he didn’t need to win the game before the opening kickoff.

4th quarter was mostly backups. Staley could have inserted them in 2nd quarter or even earlier.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                          Chargers Hall of Fame
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

I think he's working a very delicate game of coaching his way and appeasing his meddling employers, \
                          I think it's more about appeasing his "meddling" players.

That word is probably too strong, in this context. But it does seem his style is all about appeasing the veterans and stars on the team. If THEY want to play, they play. If a hurt Justin Hebert wants to go back in to a blowout loss, he goes in. If Ekeler needs a TD for a season record, and wants to play - even when the game is meaningless and we need him healthy next week - he will play.

I'm not sure I've ever read a story about Staley putting his foot down against what the players really wanted. Not sure he can at this stage of his coaching development.

Comment

Working...
                          X