• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jox g
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

These crazy 4th down calls deep in your own territory have profound psychological effects on players, let alone fans.

First and foremost it keeps telling the defense, which he coaches, he has absolutely no confidence in them.

Second, any players that believe these calls are wrong, are left with diminished confidence in Staley’s coaching in general.

He’s destroying his own veracity as an intelligent coach, and psychologically destroying the confidence of the defense (half the players)
    I see. Have u considered it shows tremendous confidence in the "O" an "D" (O to convert an D to stop em if unable to)

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

These crazy 4th down calls deep in your own territory have profound psychological effects on players, let alone fans.

First and foremost it keeps telling the defense, which he coaches, he has absolutely no confidence in them.

Second, any players that believe these calls are wrong, are left with diminished confidence in Staley’s coaching in general.

He’s destroying his own veracity as an intelligent coach, and psychologically destroying the confidence of the defense (half the players)
      Or alternatively, it tells the D that he trusts them to pick up the team if the O doesn't seal it with a conversion. Two games in a row the O did not convert and 2 games in a row the D held. Does that sound like it has had a profound effect on the players?

Staley will be judged by his record this year and if we don't make noise in the playoffs I want a change, but the metrics said going for it increased our chances of winning so we went for it twice. I have no problem with it. The play call and execution have to be better but people complain when we "Charger" away game into a loss and also complain when we don't.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post

Again, then why would he want to associate himself with the FUdeans.

he does have some San Diego history but that’s all gone now.
        It's a legitimate question to ask regarding the Spanos family, but how many openings come along in which Justin Herbert is the quarterback? Unless Andy Reid retires after this season, I don't see another opening with that enticement at quarterback. The only other enticing option would be the Bears, if they end up with the first overall pick, but that ownership isn't much better, if at all, than the Spanos family. And Harbaugh knows all about them, too.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
          Outback Goon
          • Sep 2018
          • Australia
          • Send PM

We have seen Staley be aggressive with 4th down calls playing to win. I like it and will choose that over playing not to lose anyday.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

It's a legitimate question to ask regarding the Spanos family, but how many openings come along in which Justin Herbert is the quarterback? Unless Andy Reid retires after this season, I don't see another opening with that enticement at quarterback. The only other enticing option would be the Bears, if they end up with the first overall pick, but that ownership isn't much better, if at all, than the Spanos family. And Harbaugh knows all about them, too.
            But . . . . . . . . . Justin is just about the ONLY positive to the Chargers situation for a HC. The caps a mess next year, our stars are aging, we'll be losing our #1 running back, and you have to deal with the Spanos clan all up in your business.

I'm sure he'd love to win a SB, but I believe a national championship at Michigan might satisfy him as well. The only caveat would be if the NCAA starts talking about further suspensions . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
              We have seen Staley be aggressive with 4th down calls playing to win. I like it and will choose that over playing not to lose anyday.
              He's dodged the bullet twice . . . . . . . . . law of averages says that won't continue.

IF he continues to go for it under similar circumstances (deep in our own end) the offense needs to convert . . . . . . . . . . . I'll have to say that I didn't agree with his choice for either instance - but it worked out in the end, and a win is a win.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2021
                • Carlsbad, CA
                • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                • Send PM

Look what Shanahan has done with Purdy. That is the impact a great coach can have on a QB and an entire team. JH has had Lynn and Staley. Bottom 10% of coaches. At least Lynn had a good OC and QB coach for JH.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

But . . . . . . . . . Justin is just about the ONLY positive to the Chargers situation for a HC. The caps a mess next year, our stars are aging, we'll be losing our #1 running back, and you have to deal with the Spanos clan all up in your business.

I'm sure he'd love to win a SB, but I believe a national championship at Michigan might satisfy him as well. The only caveat would be if the NCAA starts talking about further suspensions . . . . . . . . .
                  The cap in 2024 is an issue, but that is just for one year. We have the most difficult position to fill taken care of, and that is more valuable than a team such as the Raiders or Falcons saying, "We have a lot of cap room!" IF the Spanos family says to Harbaugh, "We'll hire the general manager you want," I think he'll be very interested. It's up to the Spanos family to recognize what it needs to do to bring in a coach such as Harbaugh.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I never liked Peter King. When I used to read his MMQB years ago, it had a lot of his “quirky” takes and info on what donut he had or which latte is best. I just found that useless and annoying. The other thing that I really got tired of with King was how much he talked about Bill Parcells. How he knew him. Had been to his house. Knew what color house dress his mom wore. Had a donut with him. Had a latte. But I got a twitter teaser that the great Peter King had some things to say about Staley. So I read his lame article, which is just the same as the MMQB but it is not SI so he calls it something else. And it had all the same crap in it about coffee and donuts. But I figured at least, at LEAST, he would not talk about Bill Parcells. I mean Bill has not coached in the NFL for 17-18 years now. But there it was, embedded in the article among things Peter likes and quotes from “anonymous NFL executives” (the Staley bit was one of those who allegedly said if Staley is so smart why is he so dumb?) ….King actually wrote about having coffee with Bill Parcells in the lobby of a hotel during Super Bowl week. Man has he got a lot of mileage out of spending some time with Parcells. I won’t fall for any more twitter tweeters trying to get me to read King.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                      If he's timid on 4rth downs, and aggressive on all other matters then I'd be happy.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                        Outback Goon
                        • Sep 2018
                        • Australia
                        • Send PM

I reckon Staley is agressive in everything he does.

OC not working = replace
                        big name FA not playing well = bench

I would much rather Staley continue to make changes trying to improve. I understand not all changes will work and adult enough to accept mistakes when they happen.

It just so happens the mistakes so far have been covered up by our defense these last 2 wins, which ironically gives me faith our def can now make a stop in the red zone and get a win.

IVE SEEN IT TWICE

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Just a little stroll down memory lane.....Harbaugh's last season in SF, the team started 7-4 and finished 1-4. He and the ownership/front office were constantly bickering. And Jim was not dedicated to his players enough to keep his personal situation from affecting the players and the team. Here is a news clip about it:

With the coach in question, the offense lost its rhythm. Ultimately, it's nearly impossible to run a successful organization, especially in the NFL, without stable and clear leadership. Scott Ostler at the SF Gate reported that when wedges were driven between York and Harbaugh it was often the coach who seized control. This surely didn't please the young York who "fights an ongoing battle to be taken seriously as the main man" of the 49ers.

From all accounts, Harbaugh is difficult to work with. He can be rude. He can be disrespectful. According to Ostler, "the embarrassment and resentment” York felt continued to "fester with every succeeding Harbaugh high jink, like when he pulled the team off the Levi’s field at a public practice, essentially mocking York’s dream stadium."

At the Levi Stadium’s ribbon cutting, Harbaugh showed up in his traditional khaki pants. Everyone else was in suits and ties. He also did not speak at the event, which many viewed as a sign of his relationship with the front office.

Has Harbaugh learned from this? Is he more mature now and ready to change his ways? Remember, he is an ego maniac and has been very successful everywhere he has coached doing things "his way". I think Harbaugh is radioactive to Charger ownership and maybe to a lot of the NFL ownership who are also ego centric and used to being large and in charge. And Herbert seems diametric to Harbaugh in terms of temperament, personality and personal philosophy. The head coach of our team HAS to be a great fit with Herbert, whether that coach has a winning resume or not.

In short, it ain't happening. Raiders? Yea. Chargers? NO.

TG
                          Yeah but that was when young Jed York thought he knew what he was doing and was meddling.

He got shut down and has stopped doing that. He learned. Will Johnboy?

Comment

Working...
                          X